Operation Abysis

Jimmy styles

so i have decided that as i have a few days off work i would make a start on some buildings.

i decided that the first one i would tackle would also be the scenic break.

i started off by making a cardboard template, i'm used to building little stone cottages so the sheer size of this confused me but i'm fully aware that factory buildings are not small.

once i had the template, i started off cutting the rear and side wall (the ones you will never be able to see) out of 3mm ply wood for strength and also i had some laying around.

the front walls where built using wills plastic card.

post-24423-0-91002000-1438619785_thumb.jpg

next onto some paint, now i have never built a brick built building i always work in stone so like the water in my harbour this is very new to me. i practiced on lots of off cuts until i was happy with the finish. it actually looks better in natural light than it does with the flash on the camera.

post-24423-0-78497400-1438619813_thumb.jpg

i then moved onto the windows which are very thin wood already cut purchased from a online auction site. i am really pleased with these windows. they have been painted and installed just awaiting glazing.

then finally for now i moved onto the sliding door for the workshop. i built the doors using very thin balsa wood and the runners using evergreen scrap angle left over from another project.

post-24423-0-85452100-1438619828_thumb.jpg

so this is where i have got to, what do you think so far.

Impressive stuff. There's a few WW2 layouts out there, and one harbour layout - Operation Overlord- that I've seen but definitely an area that is under-represented in modelling circles. A great start and something to follow with interest.

(edited to add link)

Thank you for the nice encouragement, I have seen operation overlord and it is amazing. Mine will be on a much smaller scale.

I keep my eye out for other WWII themed layouts for ideas.

ok so today was a bit more factory madness, however i did have to take the family shopping,

so the challenge today was how to put a company name on the side of the building. i wanted something to do with myself and my family. but also the writing on the side wall had to look as though it had been there a while and started to fade and peal off.

i luckily have a plotter so using sticky backed plastic i made a template.

post-24423-0-62062100-1438708900_thumb.jpg

the photo above is the used template with bits missing.

however the template when new was stuck onto my building in the correct place and using a mix of white and grey paint i lightly dry brushed over.

once the mask was removed it revealed what i think looks like its been there twenty or so years and i think its quite effective.

post-24423-0-87796800-1438708918_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

so i have been a little busy over the last few days making a bit of a modelling effort.

firstly i decided that i had to finish the scenic break factory. this involved fitting the roof, guttering and drain pipes. i have also installed interior walls in the workshop and lightning. at some point in the future this will receive a detailed workshop.

post-24423-0-53795300-1440611314_thumb.jpg

here it is on the layout, notice that the rails under the arch are set in cobblestone, this will be the same throughout the entire layout.

next up was a decision on what to place at the end of the long siding which runs along the front of the fiddle yard. originally i was thinking about just a wall with a buffer stop in front but this was boring. then i thought instead of a wall i could make it look like the rear wall of a large factory with a buffer stop in front. i decided that this was equally boring. then while trying to sleep i kept thinking about the layout (sad i know), however the idea of a low relief factory frontage with closed doors as if the rails run straight into a wagon workshop. the idea was set.

post-24423-0-07220600-1440613015_thumb.jpg

i designed this building to match the row of low relief buildings that will line the backscene. it is not finished but in my opinion is looking good already.

post-24423-0-23068000-1440611336_thumb.jpg

my next issue was one that i have been putting off...... i needed to install a way of controlling the points and attack the wiring. it was now time that i could run trains while building.

all my points are electrofrog points so the polarity needed to be switched with the points. i decided against electric point motors for two reasons firstly cost and secondly i want to exhibit this layout and if a point motor goes down at a show thats a big problem.

i had to go old school. i opted for small swtiches that will change the polarity mechanically and be attached to the point by way of piano wire. my father happened to have some aircraft spec aluminum laying around so that is what we used to make the mounting bracket.

the piano wire is joined in the middle by a connecting block so that there is loads of room for adjustment. this method has worked so so well so far.

post-24423-0-64254400-1440611354_thumb.jpg

however to test this full i had to actually do the bit i have been really dreading, wiring up the full layout. i know that DCC just needs to wires but i seem to have somewhat more. basically to insure that i have trouble free running every section of track has a power feed. cutting all of these to length and connecting them took a long time. now if i was to do this again i would connect a section and test it then move on to the next section. 

however as i started the postman delivered a new loco (LMS 10000 from rails of sheffield) i know that this is not a WWII loco but i have wanted it for a very long time. because this was delivered i wanted to get all the wiring done so i could run my new Loco.

i completed all the wiring then and only then thought "i hope this is all correct." to my surprise it is perfect and the Loco's run so so well.

post-24423-0-45845100-1440611419_thumb.jpg

if you look closely at the photo you can see the piano wires that run the points.

post-24423-0-61096100-1440611394_thumb.jpg

from the top you can see that it is slowly taking shape and its hard to believe there is that much wiring for such a small layout.

and finally here is a picture of my new Loco. this wont be used on this layout at shows but i'm sure will run a lot at home.

post-24423-0-46604300-1440614787_thumb.jpg

so what do you think so far??

so i decided that no war themed layout would be complete without some military personnel, i spent quite a while looking around and found that all the ones i could find where either in battle or standing to attention, then i came across these figures which are for military wargamers and just perfect, nearly every figure is either in a different pose or can be adapted. this was perfect.

post-24423-0-75698100-1441291140_thumb.jpg

i have four of these so plenty of figures to paint to make this busy military harbour look busy.

i decided to start with just a few as i think if i did them all at ounce i'd get bored.

post-24423-0-00398600-1441291152_thumb.jpg

post-24423-0-17243600-1441291161_thumb.jpg

the last man on the row (excuse the poor photo) has been adapted and i built using a LED a working hurricane lamp. i ran the wires along his arm and down his back to his foot, these wires unless looking for them are almost completly hidden.

post-24423-0-87386000-1441291170_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi there,

Just wanted to back up some of the positive comments already made; this is all fine modelling, especially on the military side.  As a sometime wargamer and military modeller I have seen quite a lot of fine work, and yours is definitely at the higher end of things.

I also have a small collection of the Valiant figures; they're great as they come, let alone for conversions.  The only snag is that they are a bit on the big side as they average 26 mm from soles of the boot to top of the head.  Should we watch out for some RMP conversions to keep an eye on things?!

Please keep up the good work.

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...

so i decided to take a break from painting figures and decided to work on some more factories.

i found a company on the internet that produce low relief resin building's. i liked the look of these and thought that it would be great to modify and kit bash.

i quickly ordered two and to my amazement they turned up a couple of days later. they are made by skytrex and the detail and quality is really really good.

post-24423-0-97730200-1442323128_thumb.jpg

first off i set about cutting a hole in it for the loading door as i wanted to add a loading door and platform. i then made another wall out of plastic card so that i could attach this building to the little building i was in the process of building, but i wanted it to look as though it was one large building.

post-24423-0-50420500-1442323138_thumb.jpg

next up was building the doors and final weathering.

post-24423-0-86098900-1442323185_thumb.jpg

and this is how it looks on the layout.

post-24423-0-72810900-1442323149_thumb.jpg

post-24423-0-15550700-1442323163_thumb.jpg

the next mission is to fit lights under the canopy's and above the door on the end building.

i'm pleased with this and matches the large warehouse / factory already built.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so my thoughts have been on how to do the flooring around the harbour as i want all the rails set in the ground.

i thought about cobble stones but after some research it appeared that most busy harbours seemed to use granite blocks. so how was i going to achieve this.

my first reaction was to use the will plastikard sheets of granite blocks but decided that this would look good but would appear very uniform and not so much like hand laid blocks and would also cost a small fortune.

so my attention was drawn to air dry clay.

i purchased a block of das air dry clay and attached a bit of rail to a piece of wood to be my test.

i set about applying the air dry clay and hand scribed the granite sets.

post-24423-0-85034500-1445683286_thumb.jpg

so after this had dried i set about seeing how i could paint the sets. i couldn't then resist placing a few bits on to see what it would look like.

post-24423-0-64806300-1445683287_thumb.jpg

post-24423-0-71867800-1445683288_thumb.jpg

post-24423-0-64575400-1445683289_thumb.jpg

i'm quite happy with this although it does need some grime around the rails and in the middle.

what do you guys think, if you have any criticism please tell me now before i move onto the actual layout.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived