RMweb

Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

Evening Andy,

I've just noticed how effective the curved platforms are, now that I've noticed them with trains present! Looks like you're having fun with this one mate, which is the idea of the hobby of course.

Glad to hear you are rationing the time working, but you do seem to cram a heck of a lot into the limited hours!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Cheers Jock and I'm glad to see your posting again mate after a few bad days, I hope you continue to improve enough to start your Layout soon, I look forward to seeing Hurford develop.

Evening all, I've had a little play with Windows Paint this evening to get rid of the paintings above Pencarne Station.

The original photograph.

attachicon.gifOverall pics 001.JPG

And the modified picture.

attachicon.gifOverall pics 001 - Copy (2).JPG

Nicely done Andy. The only observation I have is that it looks like you're on top of Jeffs fell.

Does anyone know what the record is for the number of pages within a thread over a a set period of time cos I'm sure that Andy's going for it. How the hell do you get so must done in a twenty four hour period Andy  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared: every time I check out your pages there's loads to catch up with  :O  :O

Brilliant stuff though mate just love the way this layout is growing and theirs so much operating interest for the future  :boast:  :boast:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian, yes I can work the Branch from Pencarne as a Layout in its own right, almost using the West Yard at Pencarne as a Fiddle Yard or as today set a couple of Trains just circling around.

Yes Guys,

Saw it in action first thing this morning with a class 22 from Trewenn heading to to the fiddle yard (behind Trewenn and accessible standing on a plastic crate) then a run round and off to Pencarne; shunt back into the sidings and another run round before moving forward to the station area with another run round and back to Trewenn.  It passed half-an-hour just like that ... then I had to go elsewhere as Lee arrived.  Its a really great double/single complex simply workable layout. 

Peter 

Andy P;

Like the pics and the backstory that you put with it. I know there has been much discussion about couplings and their support for good, hands-off operations. I note you have fitted kadees to your British stock; I know John Flann swears by them- how have you found them for enhancing your layout enjoyment v's the aesthetics?

regards, Andy R

Does anyone know what the record is for the number of pages within a thread over a a set period of time cos I'm sure that Andy's going for it. How the hell do you get so must done in a twenty four hour period Andy  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared: every time I check out your pages there's loads to catch up with  :O  :O

Brilliant stuff though mate just love the way this layout is growing and theirs so much operating interest for the future  :boast:  :boast:

Morning Martin, Cheers for that but I think my Old Bitton thread was going for a record, it was almost two or even three pages a day some weeks, and OVER 100 pages before I start to even lay any Track.

Even just Shunting and running around Stock at Pencarne and then running to Trewenn is really interesting, and Trewenn is made more difficult to shunt with only minimal siding space.

Yes Guys,

Saw it in action first thing this morning with a class 22 from Trewenn heading to to the fiddle yard (behind Trewenn and accessible standing on a plastic crate) then a run round and off to Pencarne; shunt back into the sidings and another run round before moving forward to the station area with another run round and back to Trewenn.  It passed half-an-hour just like that ... then I had to go elsewhere as Lee arrived.  Its a really great double/single complex simply workable layout. 

Peter 

Thanks Peter, good to see you yesterday, and have some time for a short running session, shame your busy and can't come up to George's with Mike and I on Wednesday, I'll see you Tuesday night at Club.

Hi Andy. I hadn't realised how long your platform was until I saw the last picture with the two coach set sitting in what I presume is the branch side. Looks like you'll get a 5 or 6 coach train comfortably on the main. Is the Heighly station building permanent or are you going to scratch build something at a later date? We used it on CQ while I was doing the 'proper' building but turned the main building around through 180 degrees with the canopy section on the right. We thought it looked more 'Southern' that way. Anyway we got away with it for a few exhibitions without anybody noticing. More pictures today?

Andy P;

boy you work fast! Coming along nicely from where I am viewing.

regards, Andy R

Andy P;

Like the pics and the backstory that you put with it. I know there has been much discussion about couplings and their support for good, hands-off operations. I note you have fitted kadees to your British stock; I know John Flann swears by them- how have you found them for enhancing your layout enjoyment v's the aesthetics?

regards, Andy R

Morning Andy, and Cheers for the nice compliments, I've learned the art of a backstory from John, (Flann / Hintock) and also Mike, (Mike61680 / Dent in the S & C Section), and it really helps give a purpose to operation, and once the Layout is more complete I will sort out a timetable / Running sequence for a more interesting running sessions.

Re the Kadee's, I first started using them back about 2008/9 on Glen Roy and Deesdale Road, I was so easy at Exhibitions to sit at the front left end of the Glen Roy Layout. operate a Train, talk to the paying public and also demonstrate how good Kadee's can be. With Glen Roy and Desdale it was slightly easier than it is at the moment as it was just a small amount of dedicated Stock, each wagon was numbered underneath and with an arrow to show which way it went onto the Layout. Running and uncoupling at Shows was probably about 95% spot on first time, helped in many ways by having above Track magnets back then. I have used Kadees ever since on Loch Leven, Fiddlers Yard, West Shed etc and now on here with buried magnets, so a little trickier until I can put some discrete markers trackside.

Thanks again.

Great pictures Andy. You can't beat a bit of hydraulic action first thing on a Saturday morning mate!

Edit: Not sure about 33s but where's the 35s. 

Q: What's the difference between a class 42 and a 43?  (I'm not very clued up on diesels).

Thanks Shaun, mainly the Engines mate, the 42 has a Maybach Engine and the 43 a Mirrlees one.

Hi guys,

Yes Andy but that's not all, 42's built at Swindon by BR, 43's built in Glasgow by North British. Different engines and transmissions too.

class 42 = Maybach engines, Mekydro transmission,

class 43 = MAN engines, Voith transmission.

D830 Majestic = fitted with two (British) Paxman engines!

All based upon the German V200 design from 1953/56-58 that ran until 1984! So! Ours should have run at least this long, damn stupid traction plan!

Sorry to interject, I quite like the hydraulics!

Cheers,

John.

Hi Andy. I hadn't realised how long your platform was until I saw the last picture with the two coach set sitting in what I presume is the branch side. Looks like you'll get a 5 or 6 coach train comfortably on the main. Is the Heighly station building permanent or are you going to scratch build something at a later date? We used it on CQ while I was doing the 'proper' building but turned the main building around through 180 degrees with the canopy section on the right. We thought it looked more 'Southern' that way. Anyway we got away with it for a few exhibitions without anybody noticing. More pictures today?

Morning Ray, (and Polly), The Highly Buildings are there to stay, I don't enjoy scratch building and they fit in just right where they are, the Signal box is over at Trewenn.

The Station at Pencarne will just hold a Loco and 7 Mk 1's / Hawsworh coaches on Platform 1 and 6 on Platform 2, so just about O.K. for a decent Train length.

I know I have called off the Signals to quickly in the Video but I'm learning.

Hi guys,

Yes Andy but that's not all, 42's built at Swindon by BR, 43's built in Glasgow by North British. Different engines and transmissions too.

class 42 = Maybach engines, Mekydro transmission,

class 43 = MAN engines, Voith transmission.

D830 Majestic = fitted with two (British) Paxman engines!

All based upon the German V200 design from 1953/56-58 that ran until 1984! So! Ours should have run at least this long, damn stupid traction plan!

Sorry to interject, I quite like the hydraulics!

Cheers,

John.

Hi John, Thanks for the info, really useful stuff mate, Cheers.

What's next the he asks? hahha,  

Well this morning after walking the Dogs and a coffee I decided to have a look at the Back Scene for Trewenn. It needed doing before I start Flocking the Hillside and fixing any Buildings down, so using my trusty Acrylics I made a start, some bits may need some alterations as the scene develops but at least I have an idea of what I wanted for the area around Bodmin Moor. The piece of Hardboard represents the Dairy.

post-9335-0-52224200-1449413845_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-33265500-1449413877_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-76108500-1449413896_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-93919900-1449413916_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-57372200-1449413939_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-99353100-1449413988_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08329900-1449414010_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-52442600-1449414034_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-82034600-1449414059_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-62182000-1449414087_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-32711000-1449414116_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98607300-1449414145_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-44403300-1449414178_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-94871300-1449414203_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97214500-1449414232_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08642800-1449414255_thumb.jpg

Or for those that prefer BADLY photoshopped images.

post-9335-0-00028400-1449414369_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-22257600-1449414391_thumb.jpg

Looks like the sky from "The Simpsons"........................... :scratchhead:

I cant argue with that Peter, its RUBBISH really,  (and surprised you didn't say so,)  hahhahah,  but its the best you can do with Paint, and I ain't buying a special program just for a couple of pics a week.

• RMweb Premium

This morning Lee came up for a Brew, and then I went down to Pencarne Junction and over to Trewenn armed with my Camera for some pics.

Coo - you recorded 3 other movements at Pencarne after the 22 left for Trewenn, and still got over there in time to see it arrive.  The railway won't be able to compete with a bus service that's so much quicker ... :O

• RMweb Premium

Like the video Andy.

That  Hymek sure gets about, I'm sure it was seen on the West Somerset Railway with that rake of vans not so long ago. It looks like it hasn't been through the wash facility at the depot since then either Haha.

I cant argue with that Peter, its RUBBISH really,  (and surprised you didn't say so,)  hahhahah,  but its the best you can do with Paint, and I ain't buying a special program just for a couple of pics a week.

Get yourself Paint.Net http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Its free and the next step many steps up from Microsoft Paint.  You get a clone brush, so easy to do your sky and cover up bits you don't want to see

post-15323-0-31857500-1449449845_thumb.jpg

Archived