Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Doriston - Stay Posted

Bogie

• RMweb Premium

I live in Brisbane Australia and like a lot of boys in the 1970's I received a Hornby train set for Christmas one year.  I am the eldest of four boys so my mother used to discourage me from setting it up so as to avoid younger brothers damaging it.  That defeated the whole purpose of having a train set if you ask me.  My late grandmother (Doris) was far more accommodating and used to let me set it up in her lounge room every school holidays even though it got bigger and bigger every holiday.

University studies, marriage and career meant the train set got packed up in boxes and put away but not entirely forgotten or hidden.  A few years back my then six year old son got a glimpse and subsequently wrote a letter to Santa asking for a train set like dad's.  Santa delivered on the request and provided the Hornby diesel shunter set.  The next thing you know dad says lets get out some of his old train stuff and the whole thing spiralled out of control from there.  I took over the spare bedroom and my son's engine never got another look in - it was too modern and only seemed to know full throttle!  I quickly filled the room and made an adjoining room useless.  That would not have been so bad if my son and I did not also share a passion for Lego.  A Lego medieval village had taken over the dining room.

My wife - not as hostile to trains as my mother - decided the boys had to put all their toys in the one room and opted to build an extension to the house.  I would have been happy with the back of the garage but once an architect got involved I ended up with another storey above the garage with great views and plenty of natural light.  The extension was completed in January this year and I have slowly been assembling Doriston - a fictional layout set just before nationalisation so I can run GWR, LMS and LNER.

In no way does this layout purport to be authentic.  Although I have travelled to the UK I simply do not have the feel for UK railways to presume to model a real location

I have no illusions about being a modeller either - my attempts at landscapes look childish and my buildings never look like the photos.  As Dirty Harry once observed "a man's got to know his limitations."  I am in awe of some of the efforts on this site - especially the bridges.

The constant assembling and dismantling of my train set each holiday has made me a bit of a plonk it and see type.  That means the layout looks a bit cluttered - engine sheds, signal boxes and water towers seem to be a recurring theme.  I can't seem to embrace the less is more philosophy.  The layout is also very neat and that reflects my personality more then a real town or railway.

The track layout is two outside loops and three internal loops.  Simple - but I just like to sit and watch trains go by.

Every now and then I move stuff around.  It still needs a lot of work with the scenery.  There are dozens of Doriston citizens lying around in little containers not to mention a forest of trees.  I know nothing about wiring, engineering, timetables, yard operations but I like what I like.

Apart from one wagon from the 1970's everything of my childhood set has been replaced.  However, every now and then like some streaker at the football a naughty Class 37 goes for a frolic.

It would be fair to say that this layout demonstrates what happens if you let someone with a flexible (my wife would say non-existent) budget buy anything he likes on line without any great forward plan.

But what a great hobby though!!

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

IMG_2838.JPG

Edited by Bogie
RDP
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

In my first post I said I was no modeller. That is as true today as it was when I first posted.  I am also no photographer.

However, having viewed dozens of great layouts on this forum and read the tips and advice of some very experienced modellers I decided another attempt must be made to bring some shape to my layout and to share the outcome.

I opted to embellish the top layer as any disasters could easily be removed and I could pretend it never happened.

Below are some photos of the new section.  Like the rest of the layout it is not based on a real location or even a region.

I am not sure how realistic it is but you have to start somewhere.  Looking at it I get this overwhelming sense that I have subconsciously modelled someone else’s model railway - rather than a real location.

I have also included a rather "arty" photo that resulted form the sun coming into the room at just the right moment.

Still a lot of work to do I know but as I said before - what a great hobby!!

post-26651-0-91379800-1441462006_thumb.jpg

post-26651-0-21365200-1441462026_thumb.jpg

post-26651-0-92625500-1441462037_thumb.jpg

IMG_2911 Edit.JPG

IMG_2912 Edit II.JPG

IMG_2917 Edit.JPG

Edited by Bogie
  • Like 4

I live in Brisbane Australia and like a lot of boys in the 1970's ....

You know what... your layout reminds me of those Hornby catalogues from the latter part of the 1970s !  It's like you have captured the general feel and theme of what was depicted in those glossy pages -)

Man, how worn and dog eared did those catalogues from that era get ? how many 100s of times did they get flicked through and gazed at back in the days when the volume of everything was so much less than it is today... I still have my catalogues from back then, and they are worn. Still like gold to me as a echo of back then !

Really looks like you have a piece of the 1970s / our childhoods there in your extension !!

Edited by 47406
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think you are right - I am subconsciously modelling Hornby catalogues from the 1970's.

In honour of my grandmother's birthday - 22 September - I decided something special needed to be added to Doriston.  As I already have the Doris Pullman coach, I have used the fact that my grandmother's father was named Claude to purchase a Hornby D16 in LNER livery.

Attached are some photo's of the new guy showing off around town.

I have read some criticisms of this model on this forum but I am impressed.  Looks and runs great.  My layout is not and never will be perfect - so I have a rather relaxed attitude to attention to every detail.  Don't get me wrong I won't buy crap but sometimes allowances have to be made.  Life is too short to get worked up about a 1/76 model of a steam engine.

Others are of course entitled to their views.

IMG_3286 Edit.jpg

IMG_3287 Edit.jpg

IMG_3289 Edit.jpg

IMG_3290 Edit.jpg

IMG_3296 Edit.jpg

Edited by Bogie
RDP
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have just acquired a small camera that sits quite comfortably in a bogie well wagon.

I am still fiddling - so the link is to some unedited footage - and yes my head makes an appearance.

This is just a teaser as I plan to hone my film making skills.

Hopefully not too boring.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HCQd5Zraa5Q

Edited by Bogie
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I thought I should post some more photos of my own layout just to prove I do not just comment on other people’s layouts (and Andy P’s curtains).

As previously noted I seem to have created a highly derivative layout – that is, one not based on a real location but on other modellers’ layouts.  Therefore, it mixes things it shouldn’t and doesn’t make engineering sense in many places.  It also crams in a lot of stuff and yet lacks a lot of finishing touches – the almost total absence of signals compared to the oversupply of signal boxes.  As for point rodding – simply a touch too complicated for me.

In time I hope to add signals (I am still trying to get my head around the information helpfully provided by others on this forum about type and location) and more people (only one loco has a crew at the moment).

I continue to enjoy just watching trains go by.  My wife does question the need for more rolling stock – I just cannot seem to resist private owner wagons as I love all the different colours and signage.

No layout is ever finished so this should keep me going for a while yet.

post-26651-0-16976700-1505386996_thumb.jpgpost-26651-0-43084900-1505387084_thumb.jpg

IMG_4884.JPG

IMG_4887 Edit.JPG

IMG_4888 Edit.JPG

IMG_4889 Edit.JPG

IMG_4893 Edit.JPG

Edited by Bogie
RDP
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have an inferiority complex when it comes to my layout.  The other layouts on this forum leave mine for dead so I simply observe and comment (somewhat inappropriately I confess).

However, I just received a new iPhone and thought I would share some photos in case anyone was interested - but then realised I have no idea how this new version of RMweb really works.  I am beginning to understand how Clive feels.

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

Edited by Bogie
Replacing deleted photos
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks like great fun, I'm very jealous of all the space you have, compared to my kitchen table :)

Really good photos, you shouldn't be so disparaging of yourself or your layout, what you have lets you sit and watch trains go by, with endless variety, which is very much what lots of people would love to have.

It would be great to see some more street level shots of some of the areas of your layout, it looks like there's some really interesting dioramas in and around the place.

Cheers,

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I see no reason to have an interiority complex. It looks pretty well developed to me (which I assume indicates that it was fun to build, otherwise it would be a lot more bare plywood). And if you and your son (or indeed just you) enjoy playing with it then it's an unmitigated triumph.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys.

It is not a case of false modesty on my part.   I do find my layout a lot of fun.

I just am very conscious that my layout does not like look a real place.  Friends who are not modellers can invariably pick that it is English – but as for where in England who knows.  Not that it really matters – it’s just that the layouts on this forum that have back stories and are location specific (even if entirely fictional) convey that element of realism better.

So I will continue to “play” with my layout, make modest changes and be inspired by others whose craftsmanship is superior to mine.

I will also take up Alister’s suggestion and get some street level photos.

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

Edited by Bogie
Replacing deleted photos
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't  realise you had such a large layout! It looks like great fun. I particularly like the little details such as the mail bags on the platforms. 

I had an 8ft by 4ft layout, mounted on a board, which hinged off my bedroom wall as a kid. It had a couple of sidings and a cross over. I had so much fun with it! I wouldn't worry about your layout, it is your work and more than many will ever dream of, let alone make.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Some great shots mate, I really like the fact that you've got a depth of detail, with streets and houses going off into the distance.

By the way, your ballasting is really good, much better than I've ever managed...

Al

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I hope to post some photos in the next few days - as I certainly have a lot of time to take photos as my workload has certainly gone backwards.

But can I just say I have been thoroughly enjoying looking at everyone else's layouts and the posts going around over the last few weeks.  Very positive and inspiring.

I love the sense of humour that comes through and the genuine love for model trains.  I know there are some differences in the modelling world - but folks we are all very fortunate to have a hobby that is largely immune from COVID-19.

Edited by Bogie
Typo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Bogie said:

I hope to post some photos in the next few days - as I certainly have a lot of time to take photos as my workload has certainly gone backwards.

But can I just say I have been thoroughly enjoying looking at everyone else's layouts and the posts going around over the last few weeks.  Very positive and inspiring.

I love the sense of humour that comes through and the genuine love for model trains.  I know there are some differences in the modelling world - but folks we are all very fortunate to have a hobby that is largely immune from COVID-19.

Wot no videos?

Sorry - couldn't resist...

:D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Really enjoyed your thread Bogie. You can't beat a room full of trains running around. The amount of views combined with the endless train configurations should provide enough fun and entertainment for more than one lifetime.

Mrs. Bogie must have trouble getting you two out of there some evenings?

Regards from Oregon mate. 

PS. Loved the youtube video

Edited by Sasquatch
postscript
  • Like 1