Bathampton & Box blockade - July/August 2015

• RMweb Gold

Yes it can be got right, but it involves meticulous planning for many months, if not years in advance. It also needs detailed scenarios of 'what if' situations and working out what to do when 'if' happens. 

That's one of the main things that has kept me busy at work for the last year.

• RMweb Gold

I hear a certain company who have brightly coloured locos didn't do themselves many favors....screwing down trains once the crew day was up etc Another FOC crews having to clean the mess up...?

Great Western

No, nowhere near as simple as that. All FOCs worked closely together, all managed by the National Supply Chain arm of Network Rail. This job had the biggest amount of engineering train planning of any job ever since privatisation, as far as we know. Unfortunately things do go wrong, but in general terms everyone pulled together to make it happen. The end result is still excellent, and I don't think that trying to criticise any individual organisation is particularly helpful.

• RMweb Gold

Especially as there would be outcry if someone went beyond hours and had an incident. Sometimes it's as simple as rostering errors or someone forgetting a contingency because it is so busy. Despite that it finished early so the overall contingency plan allowing for such obviously did work ;)

Hi,

Just having had a presentation on the blockade around Bathhampton, in the office, I would like to offer my congratulations on a job well done, particularly in terms of train detection, the good Captain will know what I'm on about :)

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Just having had a presentation on the blockade around Bathhampton, in the office, I would like to offer my congratulations on a job well done, particularly in terms of train detection, the good Captain will know what I'm on about :)

Simon

Sounds interesting - any chance of being less cryptic (via internal e-mail if it needs to be kept in house)

that would be what  i saw at Reading this afternoon then?

It was leaving Reading as my train pulled in at 12.15 - very nice it looked too, although its high pitched Eastern whistle was a poor effort compared to a proper Swindon sound echoing across the town (not that I'm biased, of course). A lovely sight to brighten a dull day.

David

Archived