Oxford to Cambridge 1950 & 60s

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of good books (OPC) on this line with scale trackplans etc. Text is rather poorly written and edited but worth it for the plans, photos, etc. Not sure if still in print.

Locomotives tended to be ex-LNWR types but also some ex-GE types, Black 5s, 8Fs and 2MT tanks.

Most of the intermediate stations had very short platforms (about 3-coach length) and would make for good model railways. The countryside is mostly a bit flat which may be a problem for scenic breaks but you can always add the odd bridge.

Edit: Forgot to mention rolling stock. Loco-hauled trains would have been mostly Stanier Period 3. In later years, DMUs took over passenger services. Not sure but I think Derby Lightweight.

For your initial research, old-map.co.uk or the National Library of Scotland site will show you trackplans on large scale OS maps.

When I moved to Cambridge c1959/60, steam ruled on the "Bletchley", in fact I don't ever remember it being ousted completely though I know it was. In fact at the end it was the only steam left in Cambridge, probably 1966?

The list was quite large. Black 5, 8F, Std 5 LNWR Super D were the staple diet. Also 2-6-4T (Stanier, Fairburn, Fowler). These later were ousted by a small batch of 108 dmus that were new. Also early Derby Lightweight. These included on occasions the 2 single cars that were usually on the Buckingham branch. Later on some of the "de-motored" power cars were in use as trailers.

I have seen pics of Cambridge engines in use as well; B12, D16/3, K3 among others.

In addition other LR types worked in; Crab 2-6-0, Stanier Crab 2-6-0, Ivatt 4 2-6-0, MR 06-0 (from Bedford).

The diesel locos I did see included 31 (Golden Ochre D5579 included) & 24, from the ER.

Also noted were specials with a 35, 52, Jubilee.

A large number of WR & SR steam types were hauled over the line en route to Norwich for scrap.

As I saw most of the drb classes on occasion at Cambridge, I suspect they probably came that way. Certainly there were Park Royals allocated to Beford for Hitchin & Northampton services.

I'm sure I've missed a few.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

When I moved to Cambridge c1959/60, steam ruled on the "Bletchley", in fact I don't ever remember it being ousted completely though I know it was. In fact at the end it was the only steam left in Cambridge, probably 1966?

The list was quite large. Black 5, 8F, Std 5 LNWR Super D were the staple diet. Also 2-6-4T (Stanier, Fairburn, Fowler). These later were ousted by a small batch of 108 dmus that were new. Also early Derby Lightweight. These included on occasions the 2 single cars that were usually on the Buckingham branch. Later on some of the "de-motored" power cars were in use as trailers.

I have seen pics of Cambridge engines in use as well; B12, D16/3, K3 among others.

In addition other LR types worked in; Crab 2-6-0, Stanier Crab 2-6-0, Ivatt 4 2-6-0, MR 06-0 (from Bedford).

The diesel locos I did see included 31 (Golden Ochre D5579 included) & 24, from the ER.

Also noted were specials with a 35, 52, Jubilee.

A large number of WR & SR steam types were hauled over the line en route to Norwich for scrap.

As I saw most of the drb classes on occasion at Cambridge, I suspect they probably came that way. Certainly there were Park Royals allocated to Beford for Hitchin & Northampton services.

I'm sure I've missed a few.

Stewart

Just to add to this, towards the end of the Cambridge-Bedford line Cravens 2-car DMUs were also used - Derby Lightweights were probably already on the way out by then.  Don't think I've ever seen evidence of a 4-wheeled rail bus on the line, although as Stewart says they were used on Bedford-Hitchin.

In addition to the steam classes Stewart has listed, Bletchley Standard Class 4 4-6-0s were also used.  I think steam finished when Bletchley steam shed closed, which seems to have been 05.07.65:

http://www.railuk.info/steam/getshed.php?id=17

At least one Western class diesel hydraulic turned up, I saw it at Bedford St John's, probably in early '65. I think it went on to Cambridge, and I think one or two others did also.

Westerns were common visitors over the line as far as Bedford in the 70s, probably earlier, on stone trains to the terminal at Leagrave. Running round at Bedford Midland and down the MML. Don't know the origin of the trains but suspect it would have been Merehead.

I'm not so sure they'd ever have ventured East of Bedford but I could be wrong. I've never seen any references to them at Cambridge.

Just to add to this, towards the end of the Cambridge-Bedford line Cravens 2-car DMUs were also used - Derby Lightweights were probably already on the way out by then.  Don't think I've ever seen evidence of a 4-wheeled rail bus on the line, although as Stewart says they were used on Bedford-Hitchin.

In addition to the steam classes Stewart has listed, Bletchley Standard Class 4 4-6-0s were also used.  I think steam finished when Bletchley steam shed closed, which seems to have been 05.07.65:

http://www.railuk.info/steam/getshed.php?id=17

My mistake there saying Std 5 (though I did see the odd one). I meant the 75xxx variety as a staple loco.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Westerns were common visitors over the line as far as Bedford in the 70s, probably earlier, on stone trains to the terminal at Leagrave. Running round at Bedford Midland and down the MML. Don't know the origin of the trains but suspect it would have been Merehead.

I'm not so sure they'd ever have ventured East of Bedford but I could be wrong. I've never seen any references to them at Cambridge.

They did. I have spotting evidence of a Wezzie (possibly 2) and Hymek (again 2) at Sandy on the branch, I think they were on troop/footex.

For the OP I have the spotting logs of the owner of Potton station ( from 1960 to present day) which runs for the last 2-3 years and has pretty much most of the workings along the Ox-Cam, my own research so far for Sandy has concentrated on the GN main line but I have picked up pics and info for the branch too. If you give some specifics I'll see what I have.

Some loco detail is in my topic (link below)

As a train spotter at Oxford circa 1961 I can certainly remember both ex LNER B1 and K3s working into the station on services from Cambridge. So During April 1961 K3 61817 and 61880 were seen at Oxford with trains from Cambridge. I seem to remember B1 61005 Bongo.

On any day at this time this was one of the few places where you could see ex LNER, GWR, LMS and SR alongside each other.

David

• RMweb Premium

At least one Western class diesel hydraulic turned up, I saw it at Bedford St John's, probably in early '65. I think it went on to Cambridge, and I think one or two others did also.

More than one, but not regular. Word would get the spotters on Midland Road there was a Western in St Johns. We would all charge over only for it always to be one I had seen, never a cop. :nono:

• RMweb Gold

Every one seems to left off the Class 25s, both Willsden (off the LNWR) and Cricklewood (off the MR) would be seen, mainly on the brick workings.

They didn't venture East from Bedford very often though.

Looking through the logs at Potton the majority are class 31, with quite a few 24's there is the odd 25 as well as 40's and 37's, 90% of traffic was in the hands of the dmu's from1960.

Archived