A chance to tell Shapeways why we would like choice of orientation of print.

it is an interesting idea. From my experience it is not just a simple case of orientation but possibly position in machine. I have has a definite top and bottom effect on some of my track pieces, and if this could be sorted out, then I would know which way to have track printed. Have not noticed it recently as much, so maybe what ever caused problem has been fixed.

it is an interesting idea. From my experience it is not just a simple case of orientation but possibly position in machine. I have has a definite top and bottom effect on some of my track pieces, and if this could be sorted out, then I would know which way to have track printed. Have not noticed it recently as much, so maybe what ever caused problem has been fixed.

I guess the orientation issue is one of those things that's either very important to a designer, or not important at all, depending on what kind of thing it is that you are designing.

As I said, I don't think it is just as simple as orientation with some models. Not every 3D printed design is the same, more importantly many different programs are used to create them, and not all create files with the same amount of detail. Number of slices will obviously have an effect, possibly made worse by having model orientated one way in machine.

I would also be concerned if this resulted in costs going up. It might not make much difference but if everyone's models had to be positioned based on designer's choice of orientation, then it might waste more space, so costs would have to go up .

I would suggest this orientation option was initially used for the more expensive plastics, where people seem to expect to pay for something better. the WSF stuff suits my models, in particular the track, but I have also not had too many problems with layers on my locos. If it was just a case of orientation I would not expect to have had odd top/bottom differences with my track. I think this is possibly be caused by machine settings , as it does not happen that often, and less so recently.

Been suggesting this for over 2 years, as most of the time they printed it incorrectly, despite my email requests if they could print it a certain way, sadly it took nearly 2 attempts per coach to get it right, with requests. Sadly it's not just purely orientation it's also placement within the printer. middle away from the sides, and the top of the build area is the best place, this I was told from Shapeways regarding the SLS process.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Would they rather not ignore our requests for orientation option so they can tessellate the print tray full of models?

I get the impression that is their standard practice as they can make more money the more they stuff on the tray - I would have thought.

I got a wee issue as well.

I just noticed the prices on my Shapeways shop have all gone up 1 or £3.

I haven't changed anything! Is this some sort of automatic exchange rate adjustment? I'm not happy about this as I spent ages trying to sort out all the prices and now they have been tweaked. If it is the exchange rate then what chance have designers got in setting any price and it staying?

Any help please appreciated.

I got a wee issue as well.

I just noticed the prices on my Shapeways shop have all gone up 1 or £3.

I haven't changed anything! Is this some sort of automatic exchange rate adjustment? I'm not happy about this as I spent ages trying to sort out all the prices and now they have been tweaked. If it is the exchange rate then what chance have designers got in setting any price and it staying?

Any help please appreciated.

Shapeways functions in two currencies, US Dollars and Euros.  I assume a UK shop would default to Euros from the EU end of Shapeways, where my Canadian shop defaults to USD.  Prices show in Pounds, Aussie or Canadian currencies are convenience conversions, and will change as exchange rates change.  There are more details on the Shapeways Blog from when they introduced the option to see other currencies:

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/20789-browse-in-local-currencies.html

Stephen

Ok many thanks Stephen.

This bothers me a lot as I feel it may make me look a tit by seemingly constantly 'changing' my prices...which if Shapeways are doing that then I guess I'm a bit stuck.

No one likes Yo Yo pricing. I think Shapeways are too pricey as it is.

*sigh*

Anyone with a business working across different currencies has to accept prices will change depending on exchange rate. Big businesses deal with it by taking out insurance, so when they order something at one price, they know they won't pay any more.

On Shapeways, you set the price in US dollars and it converts it. Can't do anything about that. Just pleased to see their systems continued to work OK when the snow hit New York. I remember them closing the system when the flood hit NY a couple of years ago.

Setting prices is obviously more difficult for some people. I was originally recommended a simple percentage add on which I use for most items, what ever value it comes up with. I think it was trying to please those who want to set prices to specific ranges of values , that has resulted in a badly designed system, which caused all the problems when they repriced everything, resulting in some items having zero add on .

Only way anyone could fix prices to what they want themselves would be to buy items themselves and then sell them directly themselves and have no Shapeways e-shop. I prefer it the way it is, but Shapeways should bring in a way that allows you to set a simple percentage add on , so it is future proof. . Currently it is not, and that does concern me long term.

For those who think Shapeways are too expensive, then I echo the comment that they should see what other companies charge. Shapeways had to adjust their pricing, simply because it was not enough to keep them in business.

I tend to look at what alternatives there are, not 3D printed. If a kit for something similar costs about the same , possibly even more , then the price on Shapeways is OK. I work in many different scales, and prices for larger scales are a lot higher, but hopefully are in the price range accepted by modellers in that scale.

Many non 3D printed models in 4mm scale are artificially low, although many still complain . I have seen resin kits which are similar prices to what you would pay for a r2r model, and I am pretty certain a 3D printed model would be a lot cheaper, unless you want to pay  for more expensive materials. It is not uncommon to have to do a lot of clean up on resin kits, certainly older ones, and that is often taken as part of the fun of building the kit. Just as long as it all fits together .

I still think too many people expect too much from 3D printing. For me it works really well, and the results are a lot better than I could build myself.

Some great points there and I learnt stuff, thanks.

Maybe I'm just too much of an idealist - I am. I think it nocked me more than maybe it should have due to me being ignorant of the exchange rate issues. I never read anything about it and didn't realise.

I don't think all Shapeways products are expensive but some seem unrealistic and it bothers me. I know Shapeways are a competative price compared to some others.

No worries anyway on the price fluctuation. If it is how it is I'll just have to accept it and get on with it.

I have now started designs using components, and parts to be put together. To get all parts as one part, adding simple sprues does the trick, but with a bit of thought space occupied can be reduced. Also when I am re-sizing designs I work through them to check for either thin walls which won't print or excessive plastic printed. Surprising how much can be saved. I have also found that for some multi part designs it is cheaper to print them off individually, as they actually waste less space.

I have looked at various ways to reduce cost,especially for the large scale items, but have come to conclusion that if someone is prepared to pay the lower price(which is still high), then they would rather pay extra for a virtually complete model.

Archived