RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

What was probably taking so long was downloading the Win 10 update itself as it is between 2 and 3Gb in size, the download for my 7 Pro 64 Bit was 2.6Gb. I downloaded an ISO file of Win 10 64 Bit to give me a clean reinstall media should I ever need it, and the 64 bit version is over 3Gb and it took several hours even over a BT FTTC ( the one that us poor folks in the sticks have to use as BT will never run fibre into our homes) broadband line.

I've got FTTC and my download speed is 74Mbps.(about 8.5 Mbytes/s) took about 6 or 7 minutes for Win 10 ISO which is 2.7Gbytes

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I think you may be referring to how Windows updates are delivered.  There's an option that would allow you to retrieve them from another user's PC (and vice-versa) but I've no idea how they'd get past your firewall.

To disable it go to settings -> update and security -> Windows update -> advanced options -> choose how your updates are delivered, and then set the option that you want.

I've got FTTC and my download speed is 74Mbps.(about 8.5 Mbytes/s) took about 6 or 7 minutes for Win 10 ISO which is 2.7Gbytes

Keith

You can have a fast connection, but that doesn't guarantee files will arrive quickly. It also seems to depend on which server you end up connecting to at the other end, and sometimes how much internet traffic there is in your bit of the phone system. Sometimes when it is clear to me that a download is going very slow, and I can see that if you look at the status of my connection, I stop the download and restart it which often results in connecting do a different server with a faster transmission speed.

According to an article in our local newspaper, there is a feature in Windows10 which results in your neighbours being able to piggyback on your internet. One needs to know how to disable this feature.

Anyone can piggyback off your Wi-Fi internet if you have a BT Home Hub 5, no matter what operating system you are using, Windows, Linux or Apple, even when every computer and smartphone in your house is turned off, as it uses the Home Hub's Wi-Fi through BT's Wi-Fi Hotspot sharing. Even if you turn off the Home Hub's Wi-Fi using the advanced settings, all that does is stop you using it. It remains turned on with an insecure Wi-Fi connection for any passing user with BT Wi-Fi HotSpot rights to use. It appears as "BTWiFi-with-Fon" in your list of available Wi-Fi connections. This BT Home Hub issue has nothing to do with Windows 10, but is all about how the Hub works. It can be turned off by users with the Business version of the Hub, but not by domestic users.

Also many people do not realise that they need to have a secure connection when setting up their domestic Wi-Fi. Just go into any housing estate and search for Wi-Fi connections on your laptop, and I guarantee that you'll find several domestic Wi-Fi connections that are not secured using a network key, and you will be able to use them without the person concerned knowing anything about it, and possibly see the other computers connected to that router.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone can piggyback off your Wi-Fi internet if you have a BT Home Hub 5, no matter what operating system you are using, Windows, Linux or Apple, even when every computer and smartphone in your house is turned off, as it uses the Home Hub's Wi-Fi through BT's Wi-Fi Hotspot sharing. Even if you turn off the Home Hub's Wi-Fi using the advanced settings, all that does is stop you using it. It remains turned on with an insecure Wi-Fi connection for any passing user with BT Wi-Fi HotSpot rights to use. It appears as "BTWiFi-with-Fon" in your list of available Wi-Fi connections. This BT Home Hub issue has nothing to do with Windows 10, but is all about how the Hub works. It can be turned off by users with the Business version of the Hub, but not by domestic users.

Also many people do not realise that they need to have a secure connection when setting up their domestic Wi-Fi. Just go into any housing estate and search for Wi-Fi connections on your laptop, and I guarantee that you'll find several domestic Wi-Fi connections that are not secured using a network key, and you will be able to use them without the person concerned knowing anything about it, and possibly see the other computers connected to that router.

You can opt out of this, which is what I have done on my Home Hub 5.  My "BT Wi-fi Community status" shows "opted out".  It also means I can't connect to others as well, but that doesn't bother me.

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

Well I did not take my advice and upgraded to Windows Ten

Now it worked wonderfully well for a while -

Then everything started to go south with a vengeance..

An intermittent buzzing and slight hiccup began when streaming videos..

I downloaded latest drivers and it went away..

Ok - minor hiccup..

Then yesterday something wanted to upgrade somethings and wham - NO START MENU...

You click on it and it tells you that you have an error and will fix it when next time you sign in.

Only there is no fix and you are now stuck in an endless loop if you left click on the start menu..

There is no current solution - and all the new apps are no more..

Then today the intermittent buzzing and hiccupping was back..

So in my opinion - Windows Ten is still being Beta tested..

It does not appear to be stable in anyway.

And because there is no start menu it is now impossible to revert back to Windows 7 and wait a year.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth - unless it comes from Microsoft..

Now I found I could and still can right click on the start menu and get back some of the functionality.

But I am still at a loss as to how to get rid of this monster!

My advice - In no way should anyone upgrade to this thing!

Edited by Bill

• RMweb Premium

I've been running Win 10 as a clean install on my AMD Athlon 64 for about a week and so far so good.

It boots up quicker than Win 7 (about 20 secs from BIOS finish).

I have been adding programs one by one to see whether there is anything amiss and touch wood no problems.

The only quirk so far I have found is that Windows Desktop and AMD Catalyst (the graphics card utility) report the display operating at different resolutions/refresh rates!

Windows 10 also misreports the capabilities of the display, (which it correctly identifies) as 1900x1200 when it should be 1280x1024 (it's an old 5:4 monitor)

I wonder what that's all about?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

The PC's I have running with 10,so far are running much better than they did with either 7 or 8.1 so at the moment I so happy with 10

MS claim Win 10 is less resource hungry than Win 8/8.1 so maybe also Win 7

It seems to be about as quick as Win XP on this computer, Win 7 was slower than that.

Maybe it's just a new face to Win XP? :no:

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

The latest update from my experiences with Windows Ten is:

Wow - I got lucky and somehow the Start menu came back - open a bottle of Champagne!!

But...

The Joy was short-lived..

Since..

The internet connection proceeded to disconnect in a way that appeared to be permanently non-recoverable...

But after many frustrating hours - all was not lost  

There was found a way to get it back -

The sign-in page (The one with the nice cave and rocks and peaceful vista looking out to sea...) has a link to the internet on it.

Down in the bottom right hand corner

Click it and a list appears of the various networks in my locale - thankfully including mine.

So I could reconnect -

(Using the normal Windows option has by now become an exercise in utter frustration..

I cannot even begin to describe the antics it got up to...)

Well now the internet was restored  -

Guess What?

Yes you got it - the Start Menu promptly vanished - yet again.

And this time with a new twist ..

All evidence that the Edge browser had ever existed on my Computer - vanished too...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows Ten - probably the biggest time waster since politics was invented!

Edited by Bill

• RMweb Gold

I lost the start menu on my laptop a couple of times soon after I updated to Windows 10.  Each time I was advised that I needed to logoff and logon again which fixed the issue.  That was nearly 3 weeks ago and it's not happened since.  I understand MS have fixed a number of issues in this area and hopefully this is one of them.  We also have a couple of desktop PCs and these have never shown the problem.  I would make sure that Windows Update has run and all available updates are installed - there have been quite a few.

• RMweb Premium

Something I can't do with Win 10 is change the desktop background.

I have a folder full of backgrounds of the right size (1280x1024) but it won't open them because they are Jpegs!

In fact I can't open any Jpegs at all. I get the message  "We can't open this file".

Keith

EDIT In fact it will open some jPegs, but not most.

Even adjacent photos in the same camera folder taken consecutively are treated different. Some open some don't (they are not corrupt)

They are all the same size.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried going to settings, typing default in "find a setting"  and then select "choose a default app for each type of file".  You can then set the program you want for jpeg files.

Hi Keith, I always use a solid colur bg, but just tested and can set it to an image.- jpeg included. This is how I did it.

right click on desktop, bottom line of pop-up menu - personalise. Then top line of the window that opens is background, then in preview panel,, in background box, select picture, and browse to the one you want.. This is more or less the same as in windows7, iirc.

Can you open the images in Irfan View, for example?

hth

Best wishes,

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried going to settings, typing default in "find a setting"  and then select "choose a default app for each type of file".  You can then set the program you want for jpeg files.

Shouldn't Win 10 open all Jpegs by default?

Surely only opening some is wrong?

When I open a folder full of Jpegs I get thumbnails of about 10% the rest are default icons.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Can you open the images in Irfan View, for example?

hth

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray

I get the exactly the same problem If I try to open most Jpegs with JPG View (my usual program)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Ignore the above comments by me.

The files won't open with any program in XP either. It appears they have somehow become corrupt.

They are on a seperate Non Windows OS drive.

Win-10, the best publicity Linux could get*!

*after XP, Vista and Win-8, obviously :rolleyes:

Every complaint here is another support vote for Linux :P

:jester:

All this crowing by you and you still haven't told me how to get my Scanner and Printer to work as they are designed to, in Linux

(For anybody interested there isn't any way!) :nono:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Used to have this problem frequently at our previous home. Kept disabling it but it would try to revert to "Fon". One of the reasons that I was happy to leave BT. 

• RMweb Premium

Printers: http://www.openprinting.org/printers

Scanners: http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

The Linux community can't help it if manufacturers wilfully ignore the Open Source community, and only release additional support programs* exclusively for Win-OS. In fact, many Linux drivers have been reverse engineered w/o any support and that in itself is a huge accomplishment. But given the enormous myriad of devices out there, chances are your particular device may not have support, or is only limited to basic functions.

*because that's what you're actually using, it's not the basic functionality of the device!

HTH!

PS: remote troubleshooting is difficult at best, especially via forums like this. If I where in Worcestershire I would have been round your place by now :P

The hiccup with the desktop background was that the files were corrupted somehow!

I replaced them with the same files from another location and it all works fine.

Re the printer and scanner:

The problem with Linux is not the drivers. It is the lack of quality programs to operate the devices as designed.

Both the printer and scanner have Linux drivers but will not do half of what they are designed to do because nobody has replicated the functions in a Linux program.

(I don't expect the manufacturers to oblige either due to the limited market)

Because they are both above base market level there isn't the mass take-up as with my basic Canon iP2700 printer which does everything in Linux as it does in Windows.

As I have said before. I have nothing against Linux and usually have an OS somewhere on my systems but It cannot replace Windows/Mac OS unless all peripherals are catered for, which is most unlikely.

If you don't expect to run up market scanners - no problem!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Linux is a fine operating system, as said before for servers, embedded apps, etc., etc. But Windows is far more popular in business/home user/ situation. Of course, in Europe there is a strong 'not invented here' syndrome, and a jealousy of all things American, in spite of the fact that the USA has had to help us sort out their tribal squabbles in previous generations. 

The thing is, for millions of folk, W10 has installed, and works well. Easy to blame when things do not work as expected, even if you are trying to use oddball equipment, years past it's sell by date, or new stuff, that windows is not yet aware of.   You can't blame windows, or Linux for the failings of the manufacturers of printers, scanners and the like.

Now, if you do not want freedom of choice, then you could go with Apple, and pay their high prices for restricted choices of equipment. It's horses for courses, just happens that far more horses run the Microsoft course.

Does this help, not much, but the fact is, for other operating systems you don't get the same problems, because you do not have the choices available to those using windows.

• Like 1

My two-pennyworth: having read some of the earlier above, I delayed the W10 install, then one evening switched on the laptop and toddled off to do something else. Arrived back at the machine to find it downloading W10 having reached my "delay" point, so I toddled off again to use Skype on my tablet.

Seemed to install reasonably quickly, but I was not monitoring it. Now running fine on the programs I have used on my 4 or 5 year old lower end Sony laptop which was running W7. Slight hassle installing the driver for my (somewhat older) HP F380 printer, which now prints, although I have not needed to use the scanner function.

Overall, although I had severe reservations and had intended to delay installation a little longer, it seems so far to be working fine. It doesn't seem to be much faster, but that may have more to do with the Sony hardware than W10. Some pretty features, some of which may even be useful but I have not got that far....

BT Homehub: I have that too and was aware of the "public" feature, since I have it enabled on phone, tablet and laptop. I can piggyback on somebody else around here when my own router is off, although the signal can be a bit "iffy".

The saga continues -

So as nothing seems to work in Windows Ten as it was stated it would work -

Lets contact customer support...

Well..

It's not as easy as it looks - Microsoft drops a series of endless loops in the way of the pilgrim for truth..

Not to be daunted I eventually (with the aid of Mr Google) found this dandy link

https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/chat/4/

Opted for phone support..

They would call back in 33 minutes..

Whilst waiting I had the brilliant idea to reinstall Windows Ten, and started the download

BUT

An hour or so later the phone rang (when the download was only 60% complete ) - It was Microsoft's outsourced help on the line..

A very nice lady spoke to me and really tried to help..

But after much toing and froing...

The best she could come up with was to uninstall Norton..

Which I explained to her was a pointless exercise,

It was Norton that caused the reappearance of one of many of the ghostly apparitions of the start menu! 

But since I was feeling kindly disposed, removed Norton to humour her.

This final solution did absolutely nothing at all so...

She transferred me to a higher authority...

SO...

I was now in for two plus hours of cheesy music intermingled with repetitive ads singing the praises of Windows Ten..

( I have an appointment with my shrink tomorrow... )

Eventually - (And only just before I had decided to give it all up and live with a crippled system until I needed a new computer...)

Hope! The phone changed modes and it started to ring.

The next level was on the line...

Again a really nice Lady - a charmer -  and for another hour we had great fun as she riffled through the entrails of my computer..

But alas to no avail -

Some light at the end of the tunnel?

NOW when I left click on the start menu - absolutely nothing happens..

This believe it or not is a real blessing!

So yet again

My case has been escalated, to, believe it of not, "Tech Support"...

Which is where I thought I already was, but apparently not...

It would seem  it was but a filtering system where only the truly desperate get through to the holy of holies..  

Where the high priests and priestesses of Microsoft's operating system reside..

At least that is  what I am assuming.is the case - but well aware I could be in for a big disappointment when they finally call me.

Which will be sometime in the next 48 hours...

(I even have a case number and an email from Microsoft confirming it - progress indeed!)

If anyone is still interested in this strange and rather prosaic saga...

I'll let you know what happens next - if anything!

Edited by Bill