RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

Nowhere in my paid for licence for Windows 7 does it say "all your computers are belong to Micros**t".

There is no compulsion to connect to the internet or download unwanted updates in the licence 'agreement'.

The business of "my computer started installing Windows 10 this morning and I can't do anything about it" is what I'm talking about, not licence term and agreements.

A computer is a tool. If you don't need a new head on your yard brush you don't fit one. If you don't need Windows 10 (which doesn't work properly yet and probably won't for some time) don't install it.

Turn off updates. Simples.

As a person quite ignorant in this area I hesitate to do this (even if I can work out how to), as doesn't that also stop security updates which may be useful in keeping nasties out of the system?

• RMweb Gold

Nowhere in my paid for licence for Windows 7 does it say "all your computers are belong to Micros**t".

There is no compulsion to connect to the internet or download unwanted updates in the licence 'agreement'.

The business of "my computer started installing Windows 10 this morning and I can't do anything about it" is what I'm talking about, not licence term and agreements.

A computer is a tool. If you don't need a new head on your yard brush you don't fit one. If you don't need Windows 10 (which doesn't work properly yet and probably won't for some time) don't install it.

Turn off updates. Simples.

I can't see where anyone says your computers are owned by Microsoft (lets be adult here, they have a name) - but the software is. As Dutch has pointed out alternatives are available.  I'm afraid that the Windows 7 license agreement that you have agreed to by using the product does actually state that updates etc. can be downloaded and installed without further notice. Like it or not, you've agreed to it.

• RMweb Premium

As a person quite ignorant in this area I hesitate to do this (even if I can work out how to), as doesn't that also stop security updates which may be useful in keeping nasties out of the system?

That's a risk. The best you can do is to turn automatic updates off and select every one manually, which is rather a faff especially since you need to resort to the internet to find out what they actually do, the Windows Update descriptions being generic and, in the case of ones for changing to 10 downright misleading. As far as I know anything specifically labelled as a security update (by Windows Update) should be installed and doesn't try to do anything unwanted.

• RMweb Premium

I can't see where anyone says your computers are owned by Microsoft (lets be adult here, they have a name) - but the software is. As Dutch has pointed out alternatives are available.  I'm afraid that the Windows 7 license agreement that you have agreed to by using the product does actually state that updates etc. can be downloaded and installed without further notice. Like it or not, you've agreed to it.

Agreed by using it? Can't see that being enforceable. That's why they have the "I accept" button at the bottom, which I suppose you may have not clicked on if you got hold of an already set up computer. In any case clicking "I accept" doesn't necessarily mean you do and that it's therefore enforceable, but whether any particular part is or not would need someone to take it to court.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Gold

Agreed by using it? Can't see that being enforceable. That's why they have the "I accept" button at the bottom, which I suppose you may have not clicked on if you got hold of an already set up computer. In any case clicking "I accept" doesn't necessarily mean you do and that it's therefore enforceable, but whether any particular part is or not would need someone to take it to court.

that's given me a good laugh on a day when the 11:00 news is awaited with baited breath.

If you believe you are in the right - good luck in the (extremely unlikely granted) event that Microsoft take action against you (you being someone in breach rather than you personally). I suspect they are probably a lot more clued up on getting the wording exactly right than you or I.

• RMweb Premium

that's given me a good laugh on a day when the 11:00 news is awaited with baited breath.

If you believe you are in the right - good luck in the (extremely unlikely granted) event that Microsoft take action against you (you being someone in breach rather than you personally). I suspect they are probably a lot more clued up on getting the wording exactly right than you or I.

If it's given you a laugh then you've taken it out of context, concentrating just on the part you've highlighted. The point was that merely saying "I accept" isn't the whole story, there are limits on what you can legally be held to with that. And I wasn't implying anything whatsoever of the liklihood of success in challenging it either.

• RMweb Gold

That's a risk. The best you can do is to turn automatic updates off and select every one manually, which is rather a faff especially since you need to resort to the internet to find out what they actually do, the Windows Update descriptions being generic and, in the case of ones for changing to 10 downright misleading. As far as I know anything specifically labelled as a security update (by Windows Update) should be installed and doesn't try to do anything unwanted.

In the Home edition you can't turn automatic updates off. Also Windows 10 updates are cumulative so you can't select which ones to install and which not. All 3 of my PCs have had Windows 10 since August last year and so far I've not had a problem with updates. But that might not have been the case had I interfered with the automatic update process and only selectively installed bits and pieces. 

The very fact that there are now 33 pages of this, tends to suggest the time has come to dump MS Windows and go for Linux or something else. How much of a big job is this?

Things I use a PC for:

Spreadsheets

Word processing

CAD basic 2D

Surfing net

iTunes

• RMweb Gold

ITunes would be the main problem—while Linux will have no problem playing tunes that you've downloaded, the ITunes program itself isn't available, so I assume you wouldn't be able to access the ITunes Store. I would imagine videos downloaded from ITunes would have DRM, which would make things even trickier...

• RMweb Premium

The very fact that there are now 33 pages of this, tends to suggest the time has come to dump MS Windows

How much of it is actually negative?

How much of it is questions and queries?

How much of it is misinformation?

Using the number of pages as a measure is about as useful as getting Jack the Ripper to oversee Womens' safety! :scratchhead:

Still running Win 10 on 4 machines with no more teething problems as on any other software, certainly less than some I have had. (Hint - It begins with "L" and ends in "X")

Keith

• Like 1

In a way, Keith, your last post answered this question, but I'll ask it anyway.

I would like to ask those who have upgraded to Windows 10 if they are happy with it. There seem to have been a number of problems with the upgrade - even if they have been capable of resolution - and I wonder if the hassle that has been created has been justified in terms of the end product being a better operating system. I have 2 laptops which Dell recommend for upgrade and provide the necessary drivers. I have other systems for which they do not and which I will not upgrade. The logical attraction for me to upgrade is that Win10 will be supported for a much longer period, the 2 upgradeable systems are young, 64 bit machines which should, on past performance of my laptops, last into the 2020s and satisfy my relatively simple requirements in retirement.

There appear to be available, W10 drivers for my printers and scanners and other bits of kit.

At the moment, I am unhappy with the more or less forced updating policy - I know you can defer updates for a modest period(Pro version), but not permanently(as I have had to do on isolated occasions). In practice, I normally allow installation of updates as they are issued, and only roll them back if problems become apparent. From the comments here, it does appear that the updates continue to create unnecessary issues due to the changed methodology being used by Microsoft.

I'm at the point of decision for me, and would appreciate any comments, or advice based on the upgrade experience.

Thanks, Colin

In a way, Keith, your last post answered this question, but I'll ask it anyway.

I would like to ask those who have upgraded to Windows 10 if they are happy with it. 

Thanks, Colin

After buying a couple of laptops running Windows 8 and 8.1 I have to say that in comparison windows 10 is brilliant once I managed to download it onto both laptops.

I still prefer Windows XP though!

Edited by royaloak

Thanks Royaloak,

Another satisfied XP user here. My Win7/8 machines have been made to look as like XP as possible and, for all my practical purposes, they might as well be XP. The only thing I have had to do is set up some old DOS programs to run in a virtual machine. That need has gone, except in a very limited way, with my retirement, and the old XP machines I've got will cover that base for as long as I need. My tablet running W8 is, apparently, even a "dodgy" upgrade to Win8.1, so I'll leave that alone.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

At the moment, I am unhappy with the more or less forced updating policy - I know you can defer updates for a modest period(Pro version), but not permanently(as I have had to do on isolated occasions). In practice, I normally allow installation of updates as they are issued, and only roll them back if problems become apparent. From the comments here, it does appear that the updates continue to create unnecessary issues due to the changed methodology being used by Microsoft.

Thanks, Colin

I would agree with the way updates are delivered.

Unless you tell it is a metered circuit they just come, even if you in a processor hungry situation which I find unacceptable.

I would like to defer them until there is no other activity.

I can understand the "forcing" of updates as MS don't want machines around which are only half updated, but being able to refuse e.g. hardware "fixes" which don't always work as desired should be an option.

Cheers

Keith

I can understand Microsoft's view surrounding updates even if I don't like it. Apart from anything else the different model reduces the future risk of the situation they faced at the end of XP support. However, unless they modify their stance - which I doubt they will - they may well face an XP style "last stand" retention of the old system by Win 7 users. I've noticed the comments on here about automatic updating to unsuitable hardware drivers, and that you can't stop it seems a significant downside.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Happy Windows 10 user here, I've upgraded 5 machines - a home built desktop, 2 laptops and 2 tablets. With the tablets I did do a clean install afterwards as well mainly because i wanted to clear out some of the apps. No real problems, upgrade process very simple.  

• RMweb Premium

There appear to be available, W10 drivers for my printers and scanners and other bits of kit.

Thanks, Colin

That is the rub I find with Linux which several posters have offered as an alternative.

If you have a peripheral which relies on some fancy software to operate correctly Linux may be a dead end.

Both my printer and scanner have certain functions that Linux does not support and which renders them at best "neutered" so I have to have Windows, as does my TrainController software.

I have tried Linux in several forms and generally like it especially it's open source nature but it has limitations.

At one time one of my PCs had Win 7 (later updated to Win 10) Win XP and Kubuntu 14.04 on different drives.

After I updated some software which required Win XP to a version which ran on Win 10 I dumped XP and a disk failure wiped out Kubuntu and I haven't bothered to re-install it.

In the past I have twice had GRUB fail on me when dual booting Windows and Linux and the only way I could recover Windows was with rebuilding the boot in Windows which left Linux unobtainable.

Keith

• Like 1

I've sometimes thought about Linux as an alternative as I've not been afraid of going my own way - I wrote a suite of formats which enabled us to eventually drop paid support on one program and also avoided disruptive updates. I linked it to 2 other programs to effectively create an "Office" style suite. In theory Linux could be an alternative to Win 10 when Win 7 support ends, but I'd rather avoid the undoubted hassle of learning a complete new system when I've followed Windows in all it's flavours since Win 3.1 - and I'd rather model railways than re-model a computer system.

I think relevant drivers are available in Win10 for most(all?) of my kit. I suspect one or two programs might cause issues, but I hope not.

Colin

I like Windows 10. I have no issues with compatibility or performance. It's the same on the other PC connected to the printer (we had to manually download the drivers as the CD wouldn't run, but we got them installed and got the printer up and running). The upgrade process on my work computer was surprisingly smooth and I was able to continue without any major hitches.

I guess I got lucky, though. Our neighbour sorted out the upgrade process on my gaming rig for me, sourcing new versions (or better alternatives) for the software I was currently running. I'm also running Classic Shell (but hell, I did that with Windows XP and 7 anyway).

As I've taken an interest in 3D modelling, sticking with an OS more suited for the job which I also already know how to use is really a no-brainer.

Edited by GarrettTheThief