Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Mine has picked it up as an ordinary update and is downloading it as I type. "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709"

It will install automatically and I just have to reboot to finish.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Windows 10 Creators Update is out

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/whats-new-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/10/latest-windows-release-already-on-five-percent-of-windows-10-pcs/

Just installed it, will see what it's done to my machine next time I boot up...

Edit:

The machine survives, with just the loss of the desktop background colour and wallpaper (easily restored).  I've yet to explore the new features as I've only come on here and checked my email. 

All good... he says

More precisely it's the "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update" (version 1709). The original "Windows 10 Creators Update" was last March (version 1703).

I now have it across all 4 PCs in our house and it really was a bit of a non-event.  Wife's PC happens to be the fastest and it was all done in 22 minutes. Seems MS are getting reasonably proficient in doing these big updates now. 

If you don't want to wait for Windows Update to give it to you, which may take some time as MS are rolling it out in stages, then you can go here and select "update now"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

Took 36 mins from "restart" to "Hi we've got new features" on my main desktop

(Downloaded automatically in the background as an ordinary update)

My laptop doesn't yet see it as an available update.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Small things bring great pleasure!  For the last two days the screen on our HP AiO has refused to wake from Sleep.  Did a hard reinstall and that solved the problem. Then spent hours reinstalling software including a few automatic updates and it was again refusing to wake.  I spotted some information on the HP website and reinstalled an old Intel video driver off the HP website - which sorted the problem.  This morning clever old Windows 10 had reinstalled the latest Intel driver - back to square one.  However a little knowledge is dangerous (or in this case quite useful). This time I was able to roll back the driver and now after even more automatic updates the screen still wakes from sleep - such a relief.

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Two of the problems it introduced seem to have been fixed. Built in SD card reader and CD/DVD drives now working again. However, no offers from MS to refund cost of the external USB alternatives we had to buy in the interim.

Edited by john new

I'm afraid I must be classified as a 'dinosaur', - as I still use windows 7 on a 2012 HP  'easynote'  LM laptop.

I have carefully removed/uninstalled all the unnecessary ( to me ) rubbish that was installed originally on the machine, this has drastically increased its storage capacity and useful life, and improved its speed. I now still have a basic machine that is fine for what I require -  with very few updates, that usually only take 10-20 minutes, and I do not suffer from my computer being "taken over" and being continuously 'given' new gizmos or programs from Microsoft that I neither want nor need. Everything works just fine and I would like this to remain the case....!!

Regards.

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Edited by sigtech
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

On my tablet it changed the power setting for faster startup which means that it does not shut down properly so runs the battery down.  Reset it now but why change default settings that the user has set for their own benefit?

Charged the tablet fully last night, turned it off and it was so flat tonight the battery could not boot it up!

I'm afraid I must be classified as a 'dinosaur', - as I still use windows 7 on a 2012 HP  'easynote'  LM laptop.

I have carefully removed/uninstalled all the unnecessary ( to me ) rubbish that was installed originally on the machine, this has drastically increased its storage capacity and useful life, and improved its speed. I now still have a basic machine that is fine for what I require -  with very few updates, that usually only take 10-20 minutes, and I do not suffer from my computer being "taken over" and being continuously 'given' new gizmos or programs from Microsoft that I neither want nor need. Everything works just fine and I would like this to remain the case....!!

Regards.

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Replaced our old laptop running Vista in June with a Lenovo running Windows 10.  Bought from John Lewis and used their set up and file copy service, which was excellent. 

For the first few months the performance was good but more recently we have found MS takes the machine over for hours at a time with no warning and no appreciable benefit.  I  believe there is a "metered" facility in settings which inhibits most upgrades but haven't tried it yet.  Plse have others done so and with what effect?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Anybody know a quick way to stop an update loading?

My core i7 laptop currently will not install the feature update 1709.

It downloads it every time it is switched on and then tries to install it, eventually giving up with a failure.

it has doen this maybe 40 times.

It has however successfully done Win 10 1703 updates in the meantime.

I would like to stop the attempted install as it clogs the machine up for 15-20 mins after first switching on, making it unresponsive..

When I looked on the MS forum the solution was obviously aimed at total geeks as I couldn't undersand what was required to fix the problem.

When I have time I will do an ISO install instead to see if that works.

All 3 other PCs in the household have successfully installed the 1709 update without issue.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith,

There is an option to pause updates for 35 days (why 35?). In the Settings for Windows Update, click Advanced Options. Set the Pause Updates option to on. Note that you are only allowed to do this once. After 35 days it won't let you pause again until you have updated.

Or try going to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click the Update now button.

Martin.

• Like 1

Hello Keith

Not an answer I am afraid but an observation

Our old Sony AiO (Vista that was) would not load the first Creative Edition.  Last week it spent two days loading the latest Creative Edition without success (two failed attempts).  Since then it has given with the Creative Edition but as you say continues to update the 1703 version.  I think I read somewhere that it needs a hard or is clean install - no chance!

Ray

Regards Ray

My core i7 laptop currently will not install the feature update 1709.

It downloads it every time it is switched on and then tries to install it, eventually giving up with a failure.

it has doen this maybe 40 times.

It has however successfully done Win 10 1703 updates in the meantime.

I would like to stop the attempted install as it clogs the machine up for 15-20 mins after first switching on, making it unresponsive..

When I looked on the MS forum the solution was obviously aimed at total geeks as I couldn't undersand what was required to fix the problem.

When I have time I will do an ISO install instead to see if that works.

All 3 other PCs in the household have successfully installed the 1709 update without issue.

Cheers

Keith

Keith,

I know you're quite clued up regarding Win 10 issues, so you may well have tried this. I have upgraded 2 laptops to v1709. Each took me about 2 days and at least 2 failed attempts.

Laptop #1 - I had forgotten that I run 2 encryption programs which the upgrade doesn't like - Diskcryptor and PGP. Once I had un-installed them, the upgrade worked fine, and I then re-installed the offending programs. The upgrade process did not flag up the conflict, I traced it with an online search, which triggered my memory of the 1703 upgrade. I used the normal MS update method. O2micro card reader not working but I don't know if this is a 1709 issue or if it harks back to the Win7>10 upgrade as I've had no need to use it 'til now. Fortunately I have a separate USB card reader which works.

Laptop #2 - I did the un-install mentioned above but the upgrade fell over at much the same point as with #1. After visiting the MS website, I used the "Upgrade assistant" to manage the update, and this worked. Re-installed the encryption software and all is working .

I really wish MS would get on top of all the updating issues Win 10 has - it was never like this before, and yes, I understand that the nature of the updates has changed and the reasons why. If I was still working, the time lost in upgrade hassles and re-booting at awkward moments would be a real problem - even with the upgrading controls we have been allowed.

Colin

Edited by antrobuscp

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the answers.

Some extra thinking there which might help.

It's funny because the laptop in question quite often is slow when doing upgrades, especially considering it's specification.

Conversely my oldest, poorest specified PC is usually the second quickest of the 4 PCs in the household when doing large updates.

The fastest by a mile is always this one I use for e-mails and most web work.

It's a Core i7 with 16Gb Ram and a 240Gb sata 3 SSD "C" drive, so not surprising really.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

I dunno. a couple of days ago, my desktop (main) pc stalled a number of times - ie and edge failing to close. I did a restart, after four of five attempts, the only option was to do a reset - lost all my non-microsoft programs. Having spent a day or so restoring the ones i wanted, today it tried to update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054517/windows-10-update-kb4054517 spinning dots for over an hour and a quarter, then booted up without installing, then tried again when i did a restart - so shoved it on the 35 delay for updates. Think I may go back to cpm, on the old kaypro - still got wordstar.

• RMweb Premium

I tried doing the forced update and that was exactly the same as allowing Window Update to handle it. i.e. downloaded but failed with the install.

Next step was to create a Windows Media Creator file which contains the whole of the latest Win 10 iteration. This was on a USB stick.

Booted up from the USB stick. It then went through the steps as shown on the MS pages and it seemed to be going well. e.g. check the requirements, disk space etc. and started installing, until it got about 80% through, then it dropped out and started over!

It did that twice so I shut it down and tried to start again.

I was presented with a choice of three Windows 10s to start! (None would start just ending up with spinning balls for ever.)

Did another restart and it has now decided to repair Drive C!

Looks like I will need to do a clean install on a freshly formatted drive.

Keith

EDIT "Disk Repair" failed at 42% so I tried to copy the files off. Got part way and it locked up. Decided as I could recreate the folders without much aggro tried to reformat the drive - It wouldn't format.

Hey-ho a dud drive I assume. New one ordered. Might arrive before Christmas?

Edited by melmerby

Sorry you're not sorted, Keith.

The updates really do seem to be causing problems for some, and take too long for many. I did a bit of searching because of the problems I had, and I presume you've done the same. I didn't do it, and would be somewhat sceptical anyway, but the advice seems to be to uninstall programs such as antivirus, and encryption, and disconnect as many peripheral devices as possible - printers, cards, usb drives, etc.

For me, and if MS is to be regarded as providing a Windows "service", they really ought to get a grip of the updating/upgrading. These problems did not previously arise for most, and the new process was supposed to improve MS's ability to keep machines stable and up to date - not sure it's working.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

the advice seems to be to uninstall programs such as antivirus, and encryption

On Windows10 you don't need a 3rd-party antivirus -- Windows Defender is free with Windows10 and works very well. Including not getting in the way of updates. And if you encrypt OS files it does ask for grief when updating the OS.

Keith, Windows Defender includes an "Offline Scan" function which scans without running Windows. That's the only way to find the most deep-rooted malicious code. You may find that you have virus preventing the update.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

On Windows10 you don't need a 3rd-party antivirus -- Windows Defender is free with Windows10 and works very well. Including not getting in the way of updates. And if you encrypt OS files it does ask for grief when updating the OS.

Keith, Windows Defender includes an "Offline Scan" function which scans without running Windows. That's the only way to find the most deep-rooted malicious code. You may find that you have virus preventing the update.

regards,

Martin.

It's probably a Christmas present from Vlad the Invader (President Putin) as I have Kaspersky Internet Security. :jester:

I decided to "upgrade" the laptop whilst replacing the drive by getting a 500Gb SSD instead of a normal HDD.

The HDD has been the weak point of the computer all along as the rest is quite speedy.

Keith

• Like 1

regards,

Martin.

Whether I'm wasting my money or not, in this case I don't mind, as I've been very happy with the antivirus software I'm using - in my case it was not the a/virus software that interfered with the upgrade. Personally, I don't think I would ever encrypt system disk, but I do fully encrypt all other drives. My reading suggested that even installed but not in use encryption software could make the upgrade process "fall over".

Not that I would consider myself an expert.

Colin

Edited by antrobuscp
  • Like 2

Hi Chris

I reported something similar earlier.

Since the update tonight the computer will not wake up from screensaver.  Researched it and it would appear to be a problem with using Photo Gallery but MS offer no solution.

In my case (and I have had to do it a couple of times) my HP AiO does not wake from sleep and I have to go to the HP web site and down load an old video driver (well I have now saved the download).  The generic Microsoft / Intel / Windows 10 driver must have subtle differences!

Hope this is useful?  What make of machine?

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray it is quite an old Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 and it maybe is struggling to keep up with all the changes it is having thrown at it.  Considering updating come the New Year sales.  This is what MS said about ti.  I have since changed my default picture viewer from Photo Gallery to Photos and will see if that works as it would appear it is a problem with Photo Gallery.

Have you read the support article given by Jomel_Santos? It state on the last paragraph that:

"The ability to recover from sleep mode by pressing a key on the keyboard or by moving the mouse on a computer that supports ACPI is dependent on the computer's motherboard. This ability is disabled in older Intel motherboards, and the only way to wake the computer from sleep mode is to press the Power button.

With most newer motherboards, you can wake the computer by pressing the Power button, by pressing a key on the keyboard, or by moving the mouse.

ACPI support is necessary to take full advantage of the power management and Plug and Play features in Windows. If you are not sure whether your computer is ACPI-compliant, please see the printed documentation for your computer or motherboard, or contact the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard."

Not every problem on Windows is caused by the operating system. Other hardware and software could trigger issues, specially BIOS configuration and out-dated BIOS. Also, I believe this issue is already fixed by either updating your operating system to Windows 10 1709 or updating your BIOS. If you haven't updated Windows or your BIOS, we advise you to do so. To update Windows 10, kindly refer to this link. To update your BIOS, kindly refer to your device manufacturer's support.