Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Anyone found that, after installing this update, you have to sign in to everywhere again? I don't log out of this or other forums, and have signed in with "keep me signed in". But after this update I've had to sign in again.  It'd happened a couple of times before, but I've only just realized it happened after this update.  Plus I'm having to accept cookies on every site - again!

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

Anyone found that, after installing this update, you have to sign in to everywhere again? I don't log out of this or other forums, and have signed in with "keep me signed in". But after this update I've had to sign in again.  It'd happened a couple of times before, but I've only just realized it happened after this update.  Plus I'm having to accept cookies on every site - again!

I haven't found any problem with it.

All the sites with saved passwords still log on automatically.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I have also found this feature following the latest 'update Tuesday' "improvements" to both Win 7 and Win 8.1. Accordingly it is either a massive coincidence or it seems to be a common feature to 7, 8.1 and 10.

The need to log in again seems quite common after a Windows Update. Using IE the login page does typically have the user name details and password entered and its just a case of oking it. Something odd with this update as my laptop has kept on saying its up to date so I have had to force it to look for it.

• RMweb Premium

Regardless of operating system, I use a separate password manager* and login and out each session rather than relying on cookies to hold logins. That way I get to completely clear all history from my browser when it closes (and sometimes during a session) without having to worry about 'having to log in again'.

*KeyPass with Kee (nee KeeFox) add-in in Firefox browser.

• RMweb Premium

Something a bit annoying on SWMBO's laptop, (since the feature update a few months ago I think) is it insisting she sets up a PIN to log in.

I can't see a way to remove this "option" permanently.

After logging on normally with a password it then goes to a screen "setting up a PIN" There isn't an option that says "no thanks" only "set up PIN later".

Everytime you log on it does it.

The PIN option in signing on methods in "account" hasn't been set.

Any suggestions how to remove this crap?

Cheers

Keith

EDIT. After this latest update it seems that it has returned to normal, apart from changing the lockscreen picture!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Something a bit annoying on SWMBO's laptop, (since the feature update a few months ago I think) is it insisting she sets up a PIN to log in.

I can't see a way to remove this "option" permanently.

After logging on normally with a password it then goes to a screen "setting up a PIN" There isn't an option that says "no thanks" only "set up PIN later".

Everytime you log on it does it.

The PIN option in signing on methods in "account" hasn't been set.

Any suggestions how to remove this crap?

Cheers

Keith

EDIT. After this latest update it seems that it has returned to normal, apart from changing the lockscreen picture!

Have you considered the Boilermaker remedy to all errant machinery?

Take a 7lb tickling stick to it! and if that fails increase the lbs until it's either mended or totally destroyed.

Plan B. Give it a float test! If it floats it's serviceable and if it sinks .......

• RMweb Premium

Have you considered the Boilermaker remedy to all errant machinery?

Take a 7lb tickling stick to it! and if that fails increase the lbs until it's either mended or totally destroyed.

Plan B. Give it a float test! If it floats it's serviceable and if it sinks .......

Bit like the ducking stool for witches.

If she drowns she's not a witch. If she doesn't she is a witch and gets burnt at the stake!

BTW the 7lb tickling stick is known as a Brummagem Screwdriver (or ommer) 'round these parts.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

BTW the 7lb tickling stick is known as a Brummagem Screwdriver (or ommer) 'round these parts.

Keith

I've also heard it described

as a knockometer

Edited by rab

EDIT: I will leave this posting here in case it is of assistance to any others. I appear to have resolved the immediate problem of re-gaining normal access to the pc. One of the advance recovery options was to launch safe mode with command prompt. This I did, and reset verifier - "verifier /reset". The machine now seems to be booting normally. I will see how it behaves over the next day or two before I do any further updating. END OF EDIT.

EDIT 2: Whilst the above got me back onto the pc, I still received, at 10/15 min intervals, a BSOD with a Driver_Overran_Stack_Buffer error - no file mentioned. Minidump files were produced. I downloaded BlueScreenView, a free utility to read the DMS files Windows produced. The offending file seems to have been NUServer64.sys used by USB network servers. I had updated the driver whilst trying to sort out a hard disk recognition issue late May/early June. Uninstalling the device seemed to resolve the issue, but, as I use it frequently on other machines and want it to be available on this one, I tried re-installing the earlier driver. This appears to have done the trick although a longer test is required to be sure. END OF EDIT 2.

I have a Win10 problem. The notebook is a Dell 6530 running Win10 Pro, upgraded from Win7 during the "free offer" period. I ran Win Update today and the version now is 1709, build 16299.492. I deferred the 1803 update as I read a few posts online suggesting it was causing problems and it might be better to wait a little. I had planned to do the upgrade once this update had been done and all appeared to be ok.

The machine started after the update, and was left on to charge the battery. After half an hour or so, there was a blue screen event, the error message being Driver_Overran_Stack_Buffer. I checked online and the suggested culprit was a graphics driver. There are two listed including Nvidia 5200M driver. I visited the Dell website and downloaded both drivers and updated them. As part of getting to this point I had run "verifier" which appears to have produced a dump, but I can't read it to see which driver(s) it might have identified as a problem. Since running verifier I am now in a blue screen loop with the message "Driver_Verifier_Detected_Violation".

System restore failed to revert to an earlier state(I tried this before updating the drivers).

I can, through the error recovery screens, get the system to run in safe mode. Verifier runs but makes no changes and appears not to produce any dumps.I presume, given all the above, that the problem is an issue with a driver. The problem being one of identification.

Can anyone suggest how to proceed from this point as I'm getting near the edge of my knowledge. I know I could probably do a fresh install of Win 10, which I would much prefer to avoid as I've not done that before except using an OEM provided cd/dvd with all drivers/software provided. Even a clean install, I suppose though, may not necessarily solve the problem. I am not worried about data loss, as all such is on separate hard drives and fully encrypted.

Many thanks, Colin

Edited by antrobuscp

How can I find out what is using all my diskspace? I have an additional 1TB drive (E:) which I don't use except for a backup of my documents from my C drive - 6GB or so. In the last few days though Windows 10 keeps telling me that I have low disk space on that drive , and  I can see in the' My PC' window that shows  drive status that except for 13Mb free the 1TB is all used. However I can't see anything on it other than my backup files.

I've set File explorer to show hidden files but still nothing shows up. I've done the disk cleanup thing on it and emptied my recycle bin etc etc but still no space comes back.

A highly annoying system notification window pops up every few minutes telling me about the low disk space, jsut to annoy me more. If it was a unix box like I usually use I could just run a find command to find large files etc but I've run out of my limited Windows skills..

Would appreciate any tips. Thanks in advance.

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Gold

How can I find out what is using all my diskspace? I have an additional 1TB drive (E:) which I don't use except for a backup of my documents from my C drive - 6GB or so. In the last few days though Windows 10 keeps telling me that I have low disk space on that drive , and  I can see in the' My PC' window that shows  drive status that except for 13Mb free the 1TB is all used. However I can't see anything on it other than my backup files.

I've set File explorer to show hidden files but still nothing shows up. I've done the disk cleanup thing on it and emptied my recycle bin etc etc but still no space comes back.

A highly annoying system notification window pops up every few minutes telling me about the low disk space, jsut to annoy me more. If it was a unix box like I usually use I could just run a find command to find large files etc but I've run out of my limited Windows skills..

Have you tried the Disk Clean-up utility (under Windows Administration Tools)?  There is an additional "Clean up system files" button and you could consider going a step further within that via the "More Options" tab where you can clean up "System Restore and Shadow Copies".

• RMweb Gold

How can I find out what is using all my diskspace? I have an additional 1TB drive (E:) which I don't use except for a backup of my documents from my C drive - 6GB or so. In the last few days though Windows 10 keeps telling me that I have low disk space on that drive , and I can see in the' My PC' window that shows drive status that except for 13Mb free the 1TB is all used. However I can't see anything on it other than my backup files.

I use a freeware tool called TreeSize https://mobile.jam-software.de/treesize_free/?language=EN

Following the last update, my Windows 10 virtual machine decided that its copy of Windows wasn't activated.  Not that it made much of a fuss about it, mind: just a subtle watermark in the bottom right corner of the desktop.  Since I normally run the application that I use Windows for full screen, I didn't notice it for a few days.  Dug out my Windows 7 DVD and re-entered the product code from that and Windows was happy again.  Not sure what would have happened if I had failed to notice it for a longer time.

Just another of the flaky little annoyances that Microsoft manages to inject into our lives I guess...

Just another of the flaky little annoyances that Microsoft manages to inject into our lives I guess...

I thought that Microsoft was a flaky little annoyance!

John

• RMweb Premium

I have just installed a brand new Win 10 on a Brand new (home built) computer

All fine loaded plenty of programs all went well, restarts each time etc.

Then I downloaded & installed Kaspersky. It totally destroyed Windows. It would not restart and I could not repair it.

Never had an install problem with Kaspersky before

I have had to start again after doing a complete re-install!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Following the re-install everything seems to be going fine (I'm typing this on it) including installing Kaspersky.

Once installed Kaspersky was showing a file corruption so I re-downloaded and installed it and it has even updated to the latest version now.

Maybe the file got corrupted when it first downloaded?

Fingers crossed that nothing else upsets it

The only Windows quirk was that time by default was set to manual so I had to set to automatic to get the correct time.

Strange also that Windows when was installed from a USB stick with a downloaded "current" WIN 10 and it was not up to date!  I would have thought that the download copy would always be the latest. :scratchhead:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Strange also that Windows when was installed from a USB stick with a downloaded "current" WIN 10 and it was not up to date!  I would have thought that the download copy would always be the latest. :scratchhead:

Keith

Has always been like this.  The ISO you download is the base version of the release after which it runs Windows Update.  But the process is quite slick now with Windows 10, as there's a new base every 6 months or so, plus all fixes since are bundled into a single cumulative update. A far cry from the latter days of Windows 7 when the base could be a couple of years old, and all fixes were downloaded and installed individually. Last time I did that in W7 it was 200+ separate fixes. 

I recently upgraded my main W10 PC with a very fast M2 SSD, and it took less than 10 minutes from initial boot with the USB stick to being up and running in Windows.  

• RMweb Premium

...A far cry from the latter days of Windows 7 when the base could be a couple of years old, and all fixes were downloaded and installed individually. Last time I did that in W7 it was 200+ separate fixes... 

That's because MS abandoned service packs. If they'd been 'charitable', they'd have done a final service pack before releasing Windows 8, that would have made reinstalls a bit easier. But of course, M$ isn't very charitable, because they're not a charity.

• RMweb Premium

Has always been like this.  The ISO you download is the base version of the release after which it runs Windows Update.  

I recently upgraded my main W10 PC with a very fast M2 SSD, and it took less than 10 minutes from initial boot with the USB stick to being up and running in Windows.  

The version was the June 12 one.

I didn't bother with a M2 drive due to the extra cost (up to 60% more for the same make, never mind the U.2 type!) and used a latest generation 3D nand SSD which still gives me a boot time of 18 seconds (It took about 15mins to install everything from scratch including updates.)

Keith

Maybe when the cost drops a little I will consider one?

• RMweb Premium

To get the best out of M.2, you need the slot on your motherboard, and make sure it's the PCIe version. SATA-based M.2 is no better than any other SATA SSD.