The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
On 19/06/2020 at 16:07, Metr0Land said:

OK here's a pic of the installed updates. 

You don't need to take a photo of your screen just take a screenshot with Win7 snipping tool and upload that.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A quirk I have noticed with the current round of updates (2004 & Edge) is that the PC that is "not yet ready" for 2004 got the Edge update at the time of the notice.

The other PC that hasn't been offered 2004 or got a "not yet ready" notice hasn't had the Edge update either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

A quirk I have noticed with the current round of updates (2004 & Edge) is that the PC that is "not yet ready" for 2004 got the Edge update at the time of the notice.

The other PC that hasn't been offered 2004 or got a "not yet ready" notice hasn't had the Edge update either.

I think I've seen that MS's updates get pushed out on a somewhat random basis, to avoid overloading their servers. That was in the context of win10 updates, but if true I would expect they'd apply a similar approach on application updates - but not necessarily on security updates.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

I must confess to being surprised to find 2004  was offered to my 6 year old Lenovo netbook.

My 9 year old Acer got it and so far is the only one in the household to be offered it.

• Like 1

So far on my just-over-a-year-old desktop, 2004 has introduced a three to five minute delay on startup (Userinit followed by the Compatibility Telemetry and something else I forget thrashing hell out of the HDD) and a tendency to hang when one user logs off and another then tries to log on.  Not hugely impressed.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I've received Win10 2004 on three machines. This goes against other comments, but I found it the slowest feature update for a while. One other machine(the most recent) is "not ready" for the update. In the three updated machines I had to go back to uninstalling and re-installing two encryption programs.  Machines are 5-10 years old. 

Colin

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Tally of PCs in our household, so far:

9 year old Intel based Acer laptop with nVidia graphics card, was offered the 2004 update and downloaded and installed in unusually quick time.

It included new "Edge" and has had no Windows problems since install. You wouldn't notice it has been updated without checking Winver!

7 year old Intel based desktop with nVidia graphics card, neither 2004 or Edge offered.

5 year old Intel based Acer laptop with Intel graphics, neither 2004 or Edge offered.

1 year old AMD based desktop with Radeon graphics, notice to say that it is not yet ready for 2004 but has had the new Edge.

• Like 1

It not just graphic cards that there are issues with for 2004;

- certain versions of drivers for Realtek Bluetooth radios

- some versions of the drivers for Conexant or Synaptics audio devices

- Intel integrated graphics processing units

- Thunderbolt port and with Kernel DMA Protection enabled and Windows Hypervisor Platform disabled

-devices with more than one Always On, Always Connected capable network adapter

- GameInput Redistributable

- certain versions of aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys

- Nvidia display adapters with drivers of a version lower than 358.00

www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/windows-10-2004-were-already-looking-into-these-10-issues-says-microsoft/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

It not just graphic cards that there are issues with for 2004;

- certain versions of drivers for Realtek Bluetooth radios

- some versions of the drivers for Conexant or Synaptics audio devices

- Intel integrated graphics processing units

- Thunderbolt port and with Kernel DMA Protection enabled and Windows Hypervisor Platform disabled

-devices with more than one Always On, Always Connected capable network adapter

- GameInput Redistributable

- certain versions of aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys

- Nvidia display adapters with drivers of a version lower than 358.00

www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/windows-10-2004-were-already-looking-into-these-10-issues-says-microsoft/

Yes. I've seen that

I went through the list (direct from MS)  and  the newish PC with "not quite ready" notice didn't fall into any of the "dodgy" categories (as far as I can determine).

The laptop that got the update does seem to fall into some of the mentioned categories!

It would be nice to know exactly what the problem is rather than the "catch all" notice  and then it might be resolvable by changing or deleting the offending software.

There is obviously more to this than just meeting (or not) certain published criteria.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

so i have just got myself a windows 10 desktop computer everything is good except i cannot make a recovery disc

i have 16GB usb drive needed but i keep getting an unnamed error when i try 

can any one help 

John  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jbqfc said:

so i have just got myself a windows 10 desktop computer everything is good except i cannot make a recovery disc

i have 16GB usb drive needed but i keep getting an unnamed error when i try 

can any one help 

John  

A freshly installed Win 10 without any extras such as another anti-virus program, alternative browsers etc takes up about 15GB

So yes you need a larger drive to back up to.

AS an example my C: drive has 161GB on it and that doesn't include most of my photos and music files.

You should get a external HDD and aim for something BIG at least 1TB so you can backup as the clutter on the C: disc grows:)

Amazon has a good selection under £50

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=1tb+external+hardrive&crid=Z8JE9JGYX5II&sprefix=1TB%2Caps%2C155&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_3

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

My C drive only contains the programs. All my data, photos, videos, music etc go on separate hdd** within the desktop; when I've "processed" them (ie whatever needs doing such as photo editing etc) they go to an external personal cloud on the shelf. I have another of those for regular backup.

hdd** - I have 3 within the case, but each one is partitioned to give more drives.

Makes life much easier if ever I have to re-install, or get a failure.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I too have a C drive that just consists of the OS - actually a 64 Gb SSD. I have a separate 2 Tb drive (D) for all data. 

Using the free edition of Macrium Reflect, I do a full image dump of the C drive to the D drive at least twice a week. If I have any OS failure I can easily recover from the backup on the D drive. Macrium also has a standalone repair option, so I can do a full restore of the C drive if required. All data on the D drive is backed up to an external hard drive, whilst really important data is backed up to the cloud.

Same arrangement for the wife's PC, except that her Reflect backups are stored on my D drive. Both PCs are connected to the BT router via gigabit links. 

Worth investing in a second hard drive which could be internal or external.  Prices start at around £50 for 1 Tb.

Edited by RFS
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, stewartingram said:

My C drive only contains the programs. All my data, photos, videos, music etc go on separate hdd** within the desktop; when I've "processed" them (ie whatever needs doing such as photo editing etc) they go to an external personal cloud on the shelf. I have another of those for regular backup.

hdd** - I have 3 within the case, but each one is partitioned to give more drives.

Makes life much easier if ever I have to re-install, or get a failure.

Stewart

My la[top has a 101GB M.2 ssd which has all the OS on and there is a 1 TB Hdd for all my storage requirements but I hope to install a larger 2 TB Hdd in the furture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There was an update downloaded last night ready for a restart this morning. It involved KB4565483 & KB4565633. The former is a cumulative update for 1909, the latter for NET framework. All seemed to go well and I've been using the PC all day.

However, I just now needed to go into Settings and usually click the Windows "flag" at the bottom left of the screen. On doing this nothing happened. I can get there by right clicking on it and getting a different style one.

I seem to remember this happening a few downloads ago, but can't remember the fix. It's not super important, just annoying.

Anyone remember what the fix was?

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

There was an update downloaded last night ready for a restart this morning. It involved KB4565483 & KB4565633. The former is a cumulative update for 1909, the latter for NET framework. All seemed to go well and I've been using the PC all day.

However, I just now needed to go into Settings and usually click the Windows "flag" at the bottom left of the screen. On doing this nothing happened. I can get there by right clicking on it and getting a different style one.

I seem to remember this happening a few downloads ago, but can't remember the fix. It's not super important, just annoying.

Anyone remember what the fix was?

Rob

I've put the Settings Icon on the Desktop for easy access.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not surprised Phil, the laptop I did 2 days ago was fine. It only seems to affect some and apparently has something to with how quickly you sign in after the restart. Files are still being changed so the search engine said.

I'll see if anyone else comes up with an answer and see what happens when I start it up tomorrow. I'm not going to start messing around with it while it's "working".

It would be nice to have one update without a hiccup. I've not downloaded 2004 yet as there are reported problems with the sound.:huh:

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mezzoman253 said:

There was an update downloaded last night ready for a restart this morning. It involved KB4565483 & KB4565633. The former is a cumulative update for 1909, the latter for NET framework.

Rob

There were the equivalent updates for ver 2004 as well.

No problems with either one so far noticed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

When I turned the AMD desktop on I was offered a choice of the 2004 or the two 1909 updates, so I let it download the 2004, it also did the equivalent .NET Framework update.

Seemed to be a bigger download than that offered for the Intel laptop.

Took a bit longer than I'm used to to install, approaching an hour including the download time.

After booting up again after the install it spent a short time setting up various peripherals e.g. LAN, USB etc.

After that OK.

Works fine, I streamed a bit of video and it all worked as before, including sound.

So that's two out of 4 done.

1) Laptop with Intel mobile core i7, nVidia/Intel dual graphics, onboard sound.

2) Desktop with AMD Ryzen 5, AMD Radeon graphics.

Both worting fine

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1