RMweb

Grunfos's Blue diesels and stock.

Hi Just thought I'd post pictures of my fleet as they are fettled up for a layout that may or maynot happen!

First up a factory weathered Hornby 31 that has had the weathering cut back, new headcodes, laserglase, renumbering, matt varnish and then black pigment brushed onto the roof. Comments are welcome

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

attachicon.gifc.jpg

Can post more of the fleet is there is any interest.

Paul.

Nice looking 31, always happy to see more. You sound like myself and many others, collecting loads of stock yet have nowhere to run it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up from ebay, Ballast box made up from plasticard offcuts,quick squirt of Games workshop matt purity seal, then a dusting of black and rust pigment another squirt with purity seal, kadee and springside taillamp job done.

post-4133-0-18639900-1440521417_thumb.jpg

post-4133-0-79751700-1440521523_thumb.jpg

post-4133-0-29975300-1440521581_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Grunfos,

I like how you've dealt with the headcodes on the models. They make a huge difference to the authenticity of them, it's an area the RTR people seem to consistently get wrong, Heljan and Dapol in particular.

Although not especially a fan of the 50s 50 039 is quite a specific era with TOPS numbers and double arrows, as I'm sure you know. They were like this whilst at Crewe before departing for the WR. When On the WR a single arrow was applied mid ships, and of course by 1978 they were named so the double arrows returned. That's exactly how I want my 50s to look ca 1975/early 1976 to run alongside my battered Westerns.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Thanks Neil,

The headcodes are such a simple fix it only takes a few minutes per end. I like this time period as it was just as I was starting to discover the network as a first year pupil in 'big school' with the school rail club [ big thanks to the late Martin Raynor]. I think BR were still not sure about what corporate meant so there were lots of variations. I will be getting another 50 and run them as a pair in the same livery.

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very much like that Romanian class 56. I liked the 56's as they were the last "normal" looking locos built  and I remember it being quite an event to see one when they were new. Your 45  and 40s look great,  too. Very impressed all round.

Dave

Nice work ! What's the layout going to be abou to run all this stock on ?

Thanks Rob, I have been building a large depot layout similar to Springs branch, called Wiganish, the fleet has been assembled for this project but its turned out to be a solo layout than I envisiged when I came back to modelling. It is sitting in the cellar at the moment in limbo. It can be viewed if you type Wiganish in the searchbox. not sure how to create link. I have decided after ordering an APT_E to give it something to run on it will be a double track secondary line with a service depot in the foreground running through an urban/industrial area.

Paul.

Very much like that Romanian class 56. I liked the 56's as they were the last "normal" looking locos built  and I remember it being quite an event to see one when they were new. Your 45  and 40s look great,  too. Very impressed all round.

Dave

Thanks Dave, On an official visit to Tinsley with school 56 003 was parked in the yard. Our guide asked if we would like to see the loco. We were given cab tour then through to the other cab. Brilliant. we were then asked if we wanted a drive in it! So we whizzed up and down the small yard. I think they were impressed with the Romainians until they put them on the road. Glad to see some of the Romainians are still going.

Paul.

Edited by GRUNFOS
  • Like 1

Hi sb67

Thanks for the comments.Cutting back was done with a cottonbud with a small amount of blue T_cut on. Then brushed down from the roofline, this leaves the the factory finish around the panel joints and rivets etc. Games workshop matt varnish was sprayed then black pigment applied to the roof from the exhausts.

Paul