IN LIEU OF A TURNTABLE

Bala

I have been searching here for an article on a swivel plate, if that is the correct term - a revolving piece of line (off stage) that a loco can be turned on.

I have found articles on fiddle yards but not exactly what I need.

I am looking for an idiots guide on how to construct one.  Tips etc

Any help appreciated

• RMweb Gold

If it is 00, your fiddle yard, and easy to get at, go low tech use a Peco Loco Lift (see Peco SL-43) you can get them from £10.50 upwards.  They are 12" long and fit over the track so locos can be driven onto them.  You drive the loco on, pick it up and turn it round and carry it to what was the back of your train and put it down there.  Easy peasy.

• RMweb Gold

A rotating sector plate.

One was made in Hornby magazine a very long time ago:-

post-6745-0-21888000-1439051838.jpg

This is a picture from Model railway Solutions web site in the gallery section.

Lots more photos of it there which may help you:-

https://www.modelrailwaysolutions.co.uk/cms/gallery/rotating-traverser/

Cheers

Ian

I am looking for an idiots guide on how to construct one.  Tips etc

Any help appreciated

Idiots don't come much bigger than I, so if it's any help

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88451-a-quickie-out-of-doors/?p=1540102

And a bit about pivots at the bottom of post 34

It's for O gauge but I don't think any of the basic ideas on deck, swivels etc. are scale dependant, the only observation I would make is the need to incorporate some form of gate that will stop loose stock rolling off the end when in use, I haven't put one on mine yet, but will before I start to use it routinely. With 00 it can be made smaller or longer as the weights of stock are much less, and several tracks will fit, I am only using one at present, but it will be expanded to 3.

There was also a brief flurry of disussion on keeping constant power on at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88591-conductive-greaseoil/

again not yet fully bottomed out, I'm currently using tinfoil in the bearing without any problem, but in the main my loco's are being fitted with 'keep-alives' so it's become less of a problem at the moment.

Hope there might be a few things of use in there.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

again not yet fully bottomed out, I'm currently using tinfoil in the bearing without any problem, but in the main my loco's are being fitted with 'keep-alives' so it's become less of a problem at the moment.

Hope there might be a few things of use in there.

Peter

If the tin foil method doesn't work, then you have a ready supply to make a hat from it.

The great thing about hidden turntables or plates is that you can use a great big ugly indexing mechanism. and wth DCC  if the current is interrupted it does not matter too much.

Indexing the table to the approach roads is the big problem   I have a hidden turntable made from a piece of electrical trunking about 10" long as a deck on a square of plywood.  It slides on two half circles of code 100 rail which overlap to provide a continuous bearing surface and is indexed by saw cuts in the code 100 into which spring loaded brass  angle droppers drop. the angle has vertical levers which you hold to one side to stop the angle dropping until you are close to the correct road.  Both ends have droppers but only one rail has saw cuts.  The droppers also carry track current so they are isolated one side with the dropper raised.  The pivot is a brass tube about 3./32nds with a 2 ba bolt through and a light spring to hold the deck down.  With minimal clearance above it has been in regular use for 30 years with no attention at all for years at a time. Derailments due to misalignment are just about unknown.  I feed each outlet track separately  through rotary switches. 

However getting the indexing right in the first place was a challenge. getting both ends of the table exactly the same at the outset is absolutely essential. Plus or minus half a millimeter is all you can allow for tolerance. Up down, in out, sideways. Having the deck rail in two halves to allow separate alignment in/ out of the two ends is just about essential 

The bigger the table the more outlets you can have side by side, Ok you can interlace them if you are some kind of track building enthusiast but for me life is too short.

I am working on a double deck turntable with the workings on a low level, indexing electrics etc and the cosmetic deck indexed to the lower deck with a large diameter tube.  However I fully expect it to take five years to get round to finishing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit OTT comment?

You can clearly see what it is and how it works when you look at the photo as it shows it turning.

The fact other people on here have bought some of these product and found the prices good and product very well made, would sway me the other way.

Never bought anything or have anything to do with this company but after reading comments from people who have makes more sense to listen to them than you who has just made negative remarks just because they used the wrong terminology.

Cheers

Ian

Archived