Questioning size... How small is too big ?

• RMweb Premium

I think 'micro is a frame of mind' is the right attitude. :)

It is a shame if there are a lot of small layouts in amongst the other layout threads; likely I will never find them. ;)

A search for topics tagged "micro layout" shows them dotted around the site, for example in the 2mm finescale area.

I wonder if the moderators could pin a topic to the start of the Layouts area, suggesting recommended tags for layout topics? This might bring up some more.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

I set the group up as a way of collating the smaller layouts together, as I felt the concept of the micro layout would get lost among the larger group of Layouts.

If you feel your layout is of a size to be called micro ( the definition of which is open to many interpretations), then please add it to this section - good modelling will be seen wherever it is placed.

Stu

The section was set up as I'd made a boxfile layout and felt it was sufficiently different to warrant it's own area of the forum.

In order to encourage others to post ( which they have done ) the title was set as is.

What is a 'small layout' ? Less than 6ft ? Less than 3 points ? Only uses 4 wheel locos ?

I think that the current title explains what's included quite unambiguously - adding 'Small' would blur the destinction and cause confusion.

Creating a new group of 'Small Layouts' is fine, if a definition can be agreed on, but then are 'Medium', 'Large' and 'Massive' distinctions also required ?

But, it is only toy trains.

Hi Stu

I pop in to have a look at some of the smaller layouts now and then. Most are quite enjoyable to view.

What I am finding strange is you set up the group so that people would be able to find them easier, you also did not set any major parameters, which is great. There does seem to be a small number of people who don't seem to understand the concept of "no rules" and need a strict definition to work to instead of using common sense.

I hope to continue to see some excellent modelled micro layouts where the modellers are enjoying their toy trains.

• RMweb Premium

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them — particularly verbs: they're the proudest — adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs — however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

We can make ‘small’ mean whatever we like; but yet all micros are small. But not all small layouts are micros.

- Richard.

Archived