"Not quite" terminii?

mike morley

Blaenau Ffestiniog, during the 80/90s, when the whole place had been "rationalised", but track continued to the nuclear power station. Quite a good one, because it includes a runaround for passenger trains, and quite a few loco hauled excursions (some steam???). Not only that, but a fine narrow gauge terminus on the same trackbed.

But, I really do like Moorswater (Coombes Junction) as suggested earlier. I haven't been there for absolutely donkey's years, but when I did visit, I was overcome with delight. Never before in the field of railway operations, have so many signals been wagged up and down for the benefit of so few trains!

Signalling plans here http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwf/S1141.htm

And, did any passengers ever actually get on or off there, except to admire the signals?

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

That is a really interesting one. With a bit of shoving about, it could be made into quite a compact roundy-roundy with the passenger platform in the centre of the baseboard.

I already have, almost:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/26586-a-languishing-layout-refurbished/

The imagineering is different but the track as laid is remarkably close to Wath H&B. Indeed, I wish I'd known at the time as I was never quite convinced by my own story. The prototype connection to Wath Colliery seems to have linked through to the MS&L just east of Wath Yard so with a bit of handwaving you could run through traffic on it as was my intention with the layout. I have the Met Camm unit now too...

• RMweb Premium

In fact, this is how I'd rationalise Wath for a post-1970 layout.  The Manvers branch conveniently disappears under a bridge, so I'd run the former down line through the backscene to a fiddle siding representing some interesting offstage industry which could be whatever appealed for each running session; the stub of the up line forms a run round.  All the other lines and sidings would be lifted (except maybe the remains of the shunting neck as an engineers siding), with plenty of empty trackbed, weeds and dereliction to be seen.

post-6813-0-51965700-1439585070_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

Two oddball ones that have come to mind are

1)   Barnoldswick which had a single platform that ended at a level crossing and the track continued over the crossing into the goods yard.

2)  Masham which was similar with the goods yard on the opposite side of the road to the station with the added interest of transfer sidings t a 2' reservoir construction railway.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hi there

This is the current layout at Abedare. After Mike's post above it is obviously not the original layout but freights still go on towards the colliery.

Jamie

attachicon.gifAberdare 1.jpg

Edited to get the right photo in.

sorry to go OT, but must say I love the derelict station - we're all used to seeing buildings and platforms - but there's an extra poignancy from the rusting canopy supports and the inference of a largish and possibly fancy roof

Weardale and the extension up to Wearhead to build the reservoir.

I've just been exploring with my grandson the extraordinary Rookhope Railways network link here  - the highest standard gauge lines in the UK (1670 ft ) that branched off the former southern leg of the Stanhope and Tyne at Parkhead (Blanchland).

The Stockton and Darlington built the extension on from Tow Law to link up with the S&T near Waskerley to enable iron ore and limestone to be transported for the Weardale Iron and Coal Company to their blast furnaces at Tow Law.

dh

How about Hadfield on the MSW line after the end of through passenger services? EMUs from Manchester terminated there, and freights carried on towards Sheffield.

Or Aylesbury?

And then there's Holborn viaduct with the through lines under central London to Farringdon, used by freight trains only after WW1. Possibly a bit on the big side.

On the Tallylyn you mentioned Abergynolwyn with the line running on to the quarry incline but pre-preservation at the other end wasn't Tywyn Pendre the passenger terminus with Tywyn Wharf only used for slate and coal interchange with the main line?

Port/harbour extensions from a terminus were also fairly common. Two where the extension was a continuation of the main line rather than of a siding  that come immediately to mind are Looe on the same line as Moorswater where the line meandered on past the station to serve various quays and warehouses, and Fort William, surely the simplest main line terminus of all time with  just two points (four before the hardly used releasing crossover was removed), where the main lochside line carried on beyond the platform and the station building, past the McBrayne pier to a quay where there was originally a loop. 

There was a slightly odd example at Burnham on Sea where the line continued to a pier that had been intended for significant marine interchange but ended up as a slipway for the local lifeboat whose lifeboat station was effectively a private siding. 

Plymouth Millbay (GWR) was a four platform main line terminus with a line running behind it going into Millbay docks. There was a smaller version of that at Plymouh Friary (LSWR) where a line extended down to Sutton Harbour. and a larger version at Southampton Terminus where the line across Canute Road and into the Eastern docks ran behind the terminus platforms and still operates long after the terminus itself closed. I don't think though that's quite what you're looking for.

South Shields was a passenger terminus with the line continuing on to coal staithes beyond.

I'm sure there was a branch terminus in the hills north west of Leeds beyond Ilkley Moor where a quarry extension ran beyond the station but I can't for the life of me remember its name even though I explored its remains a few years ago. .

I know it's a false impression but it begins to feel like termini where the line actually terminated weren't much more common than those where it didn't. 

Waterloo, LSWR station.

It wasn't quite a terminus, in that a single line crossed the concourse to join up with the SECR. There was even a regular passenger service (Holborn Viaduct to Paddington, or something similarly obscure) over it for a short time.

It would be fairly large as model though .............

K

• RMweb Premium

I've just had an even dafter idea.  Ballybunion, which had an extension to the harbour for sand traffic.  I'm not sure if there's any rtr stock though perhaps we could put an 0-3-0 + 0-2-0 on a Bachmann wants list. (They had a powered tender as well as the loco.)

Jamie

Iain Rice has a plan based on Swansea Victoria, the now-closed LNWR terminal, in his book "Designs for Urban Layouts". It shows a two-platform terminus with a central run-round line and a goods line to the docks running behind it.

I don't know how accurate it is (I can find no plan on the web) but I am thinking of using it for the latest version of Bradford North Western.

I like Mick Nicholson's plan of Wath above but it's a real odd-ball - I'd prefer to mode something more conventional (i.e. common).

Coniston is also a nice example with its line to the mines beyond the station but it looks much more like a through station and would require a lot of space.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Waterloo, LSWR station.

It wasn't quite a terminus, in that a single line crossed the concourse to join up with the SECR. There was even a regular passenger service (Holborn Viaduct to Paddington, or something similarly obscure) over it for a short time.

It would be fairly large as model though .............

K

Add to Waterloo, here are some other London termini where there were through lines. Kings Cross, Liverpool Street, Baker Street, Euston (not used but built) Paddington, Moorgate, Aldgate, Black Friars and London Bridge. 

Clive

I thought I knew London stations pretty well, but the Euston reference intrigues me; can you elucidate?

Also, how about Killarney? Another station that uses vast numbers of signals, and lots of shunting-about, to

achieve what is normally done at a simple through station with a passing loop.

Kevin

How about Glencorse, the terminus of the Edinburgh, Loanhead & Roslin Railway which had a through line continuing to Mauricewood colliery, Penicuik gasworks and a coal depot.  The station itself is fairly minimalist in layout terms - just a loop and two or three sidings.  There was also a tramway to a nearby colliery, although that closed fairly early in the line's life.  A bit of additional operational interest might arise from the fact that access to the station goods yard from the Edinburgh direction required trains to pass through the platform and then reverse in to the sidings.  There was (still is, in fact) an army barracks just over the road from the station, which I imagine would have given rise to a bit of non-mineral goods traffic and maybe even the odd troop train.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/g/glencorse/

• RMweb Gold

Is the OP looking for a line which continued beyond the passenger station or one which branched off from a yard or from sidings?  Many of those mentioned so far have been in the latter category while others have only applied since withdrawal of the original passenger service - which makes the period being modelled relevant as well of course

• RMweb Premium

Clive

I thought I knew London stations pretty well, but the Euston reference intrigues me; can you elucidate?

Also, how about Killarney? Another station that uses vast numbers of signals, and lots of shunting-about, to

achieve what is normally done at a simple through station with a passing loop.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

When the Met Railway was built there was a connection to the LNWR at Euston but the two companies fell out with each other and it never got used.

Iain Rice has a plan based on Swansea Victoria, the now-closed LNWR terminal, in his book "Designs for Urban Layouts". It shows a two-platform terminus with a central run-round line and a goods line to the docks running behind it.

I don't know how accurate it is (I can find no plan on the web) but I am thinking of using it for the latest version of Bradford North Western.

I like Mick Nicholson's plan of Wath above but it's a real odd-ball - I'd prefer to mode something more conventional (i.e. common).

Coniston is also a nice example with its line to the mines beyond the station but it looks much more like a through station and would require a lot of space.

Ian

It sounds pretty close to the layout that I've seen photos of; there was a low-level line to the docks, with street running, and also a high-level line (built on top of a brick wall), which connected to the line that went down the side of High St station that I mentioned previously. That line was nominally freight only; however, when Cockett tunnel partially collapsed in the late 19th century, the GWR sent passenger trains to and from the west via the link, with a link being installed at Gowerton to allow them to return to their normal route.

For a small station, someone seems to have applied modeller's licence to the facilities. There was a fairly large shed and turntable,along with carriage sidings. There was also what one might call an 'Interurban' line, the Mumbles Railway, with a terminus just outside Victoria.

Swansea produced another oddity as well; the GWR Morriston branch. This originally terminated at what became Morriston West; after the District Line from Briton Ferry to Llanelly was completed in 1906, the branch was extended to connect with it at Felinfran, the works being finished in 1914. Most passenger trains then terminated at Pentrefelin, though a few later ran through, unadvertised, to the recently opened oil refinery at Llandarcy. Otherwise, traffic on the line beyond Pentrefelin consisted of occasional freights and parcel trains, and light locos for engine changes at Felin Fran yard from Landore shed. These were often large express types for the various Perishable workings from the West, so the line had a Red restriction. When the main line from High St to Neath via Landore was closed for engineering works etc, services were diverted via the Morriston branch, so Castles with 12-coach trains might be seen on a largely single-track branch. These diversions were to be seen until the branch shut in the mid-1960s, a decade or more after the branch passenger had been withdrawn.

• RMweb Gold

How about Hadfield on the MSW line after the end of through passenger services? EMUs from Manchester terminated there, and freights carried on towards Sheffield.

Or Aylesbury?

And then there's Holborn viaduct with the through lines under central London to Farringdon, used by freight trains only after WW1. Possibly a bit on the big side.

Holborn Viaduct was very compact indeed. The main snag is quite complex pointwork that can not be replicated with ready-to-lay Peco.

But for someone that can build their own, it's a viable Minories-style layout. Only real question is how to create the scenic break at the south end. The tall buildings are not in quite the right place due to the closed Ludgate Hill station.

At the north end, it was really atmospheric with the lines to Snow Hill/Farringdon just visible between tall dark buildings as it crossed narrow lanes. It would make a great exhibiton layout - perhaps even a possibility in 7mm scale.

Edit to add: Just checked out Holborn Viaduct on a 1950s OS map. If one only models down to Ludgate Hill bridge, there is a suitable tall building to act as a scenic break on the SE corner of Ludgate Circus. That would give a 4mm scale layout about 12' long. This is assuming that one is using the Farringdon Road as the front baseboard edge which might mean cheating a bit on the depth of the buildings on the east side. Otherwise the layout might get a bit wide.

To the east of the line, there was not much at all in the 1950s/1960s due to wartime bombing. Indeed I think there were still some bombsites, used by NCP as car parks, into the 1970s. So it might be easier to have the layout with HV station to the right even though that would not give such a good view of the freight lines.

Archived