"Not quite" terminii?

mike morley

But for someone that can build their own, it's a viable Minories-style layout. Only real question is how to create the scenic break at the south end. The tall buildings are not in quite the right place due to the closed Ludgate Hill station.

I've always thought that it would make a good model, especially if you included the closed Ludgate Hill station. Even better if you were up for modelling the vast variety of pre-war 3-SUB units. 

If you have a suitable travel card/pass and an hour or so to spend it's still quite interesting to explore the railways in that part of London.

I'm always impressed by the underground stabling sidings that are partway between Blackfriars and Farringdon. Presumably the cost of land in that part of London is such that it was cheaper to build them underground. 

I've always thought that it would make a good model, especially if you included the closed Ludgate Hill station. Even better if you were up for modelling the vast variety of pre-war 3-SUB units. 

I'm always impressed by the underground stabling sidings that are partway between Blackfriars and Farringdon. Presumably the cost of land in that part of London is such that it was cheaper to build them underground. 

Didn't these sidings originally serve Smithfield Market?

• RMweb Premium

Didn't these sidings originally serve Smithfield Market?

Hi Brian

Smithfield sidings were between Farringdon and Aldersgate (now Barbican) on the Widened Lines under the market.

I am not sure what the Snowhill sidings were used for. The SECR stopped using the eastbound cord from Snowhill to the Met lines about the time of WW1. The bloke who would be able to give chapter and verse would be Jim Connor, he is on RMweb. In Geoff Goslin's book Steam on the Widened Lines, Vol 2 the SCER sidings are called berthing sidings. There is a photo of empty coaching stock being propelled in to them.

• RMweb Premium

Coniston

Does anyone have any information about it past the station (other than what can be seen on old maps)? I've never come across anything (not that I've tried looking beyond a bit of Googling and a book or two).

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have any information about it past the station (other than what can be seen on old maps)? I've never come across anything (not that I've tried looking beyond a bit of Googling and a book or two).

There are some photos in the various Furness Railway histories.   I have a feeling that the mine branch closed quite early but would have to check.

Jamie

Carmarthen, until the 1970s, where the line carried on past the current station, under a road bridge, then across the Towy, to the former L&NWR goods yard.

As Mike has said, until 65 passenger services to Aberstwyth ran out of that end of Carmarthen station. From then until 72 milk trains ran to Newcastle Emlyn and Felin Fran (Aberporth) dairies.

As Mike has said, until 65 passenger services to Aberstwyth ran out of that end of Carmarthen station. From then until 72 milk trains ran to Newcastle Emlyn and Felin Fran (Aberporth) dairies.

***Nitpicking mode on***

Might that be Felin Fach rather than Felin Fran, which is on the Swansea District Line?

***Nitpicking mode off***

Chris 

Clive et al,

For detail on the Snow Hill, Farringdon, Barbican, Smithfield tangle, see the link that I gave in Post 72.

Although I don't think it is mentioned there, the Snow Hill berthing sidings, which were to the West of the through lines, in a sort of crypt, were what began as the LSWR reversing sidings,which I also mentioned above. Nice plan here, including the sector-plate loco release: http://www.londonreconnections.com/2012/london-terminals-fighting-over-farringdon-part-2/

I was involved with the engineering of the electrification arrangements when the through SR/LMR connection was re-established in the 1980s, so had a good chance to explore the area while there was still a fair bit of industrial archaeology in situ. Much of that has now gone.

Kevin

PS: I knew someone had already "done a Minories" with the HV concept. That someone was Dave Adams, see here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78492-minories-holborn-viaduct/page-2

• RMweb Premium

How about Battersby?

The station was a double junction with two lines diverging northwards (as now) and two southwards of which one was the Rosedale line and the other to Picton

You could ignore the existence of the line to Picton, the Rosedale line carried on for 11 miles (including an incline) to various ironstone mines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosedale_Railway

Keith

The downside of threads like this is that even if you weren't actually considering modelling this sort of layout, there are so many good ideas coming out you can't but help start "planning in your mind" of layouts to fit that space you have...

I assume someone has mentioned Hemyock already?

I was thinking of the station as it was in the late 1960s/early 1970s when, apart from the milk and goods trains to Newcastle Emlyn, and the milk to Pont Llanio and Felin Fach, the main goods depot was the former L&NWR one, just below the old hospital. The 08 that served as station pilot would trip wagons to and from this as required; apart from coal traffic, there was occassional military vehicle traffic and general goods. I believe there was one through passenger train that ran from beyond Carmarthen to the Aberystwyth line for a while. It was a weekly dated working from Swansea to Pwllheli holiday camp.

• RMweb Gold

How about Battersby?

The station was a double junction with two lines diverging northwards (as now) and two southwards of which one was the Rosedale line and the other to Picton

You could ignore the existence of the line to Picton, the Rosedale line carried on for 11 miles (including an incline) to various ironstone mines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosedale_Railway

Keith

Battersby did fit the criteria between 1958 and 1965 this when the line to picton closed to through goods traffic and cut back to stokesley which was worked as a branch until 1965 all passenger services west of Battersby ended in 1954

• RMweb Gold

Clive et al,

For detail on the Snow Hill, Farringdon, Barbican, Smithfield tangle, see the link that I gave in Post 72.

Although I don't think it is mentioned there, the Snow Hill berthing sidings, which were to the West of the through lines, in a sort of crypt, were what began as the LSWR reversing sidings,which I also mentioned above. Nice plan here, including the sector-plate loco release: http://www.londonreconnections.com/2012/london-terminals-fighting-over-farringdon-part-2/

I was involved with the engineering of the electrification arrangements when the through SR/LMR connection was re-established in the 1980s, so had a good chance to explore the area while there was still a fair bit of industrial archaeology in situ. Much of that has now gone.

Kevin

PS: I knew someone had already "done a Minories" with the HV concept. That someone was Dave Adams, see here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78492-minories-holborn-viaduct/page-2

Thanks for flagging up that article on London Reconnections. I had no idea that the GN goods depot extended to the south of Cowcross Street and was so large. What an opportunity missed not to have saved that railway land which could have been used to rebuild Farringdon to a much better standard for Thameslink.

• RMweb Premium

Small & Rural - How about Fairford?

Although it was the Terminus of the branch line, the line continued 1/4 mile past the station, the goods yard and engine shed were on the far side of the station.

The track should have continued on to connect to Cirencester.

Track Plan here towards bottom of page:

http://www.fairfordbranch.co.uk/Plans.htm

And the page for Faiford itself:

http://www.fairfordbranch.co.uk/Fairford.htm

What I do find incredible is just how totally Holborn Viaduct station and the viaduct over Fleet Street has disappeared. Old railways usually leave some trace behiind but the area has been so comprehensively redeveloped that you'd never know it was ever there nor that the steep grade that takes the Thameslink line under Fleet St. used to be the other side of it after the line had crossed above Fleet Street. I'd have to admit that the railway viaduct did nothing for the view of St. Paul's Cathedral but, though I must have seen it many times when I first worked in London, simply cannot relate it to the current urban scene.   

My (former) local fish and chip shop has a painting of St.Paul's Cathedral as seen from Ludgate on one wall.  I spent some time in London a few months back trying to figure out where it was painted from but got completely confused by the absence of the viaduct!

• RMweb Premium

"I had no idea that the GN goods depot extended to the south of Cowcross Street and was so large."

There was a really informative article recently in the HMRS Journal with several photos and plans. It was a big depot. I only remember the bit behind Farringdon station. I think by that time the GPO/BT building (now itself gone) had been built on the site south of Cowcross Street. A friend who worked there took some photos of the GN depot from a high floor (perhaps the roof) of the BT building, as we were thinking of including the GN warehouse as a backdrop for a club layout.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Try Foxdale on the Isle of Man Railway. Passenger trains came up the hill and reversed in a small station with runaround loop, The through traffic for the lead mines had to reverse into kickback sidings before going on up, with a very clear zig-zag shunt, presumably a straight run couldn't be trusted because of the gradient. Nice and small, with piles of mine waste. The traffic was taken to Ramsey IOMR, where a siding at the back of the goods yard went on down to the quay.

Middleton In Teesdale station had a quarry branch which diverged just short of the station. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/middleton_in_teesdale/index.shtml

Ponteland station was essentially a terminus but had a short "branch" to Darras Hall station which bizarrely required a reversal, although the trains were worked as through trains so I don't know if it counts.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/ponteland/index.shtml

I was thinking of the station as it was in the late 1960s/early 1970s when, apart from the milk and goods trains to Newcastle Emlyn, and the milk to Pont Llanio and Felin Fach, the main goods depot was the former L&NWR one, just below the old hospital. The 08 that served as station pilot would trip wagons to and from this as required; apart from coal traffic, there was occassional military vehicle traffic and general goods. I believe there was one through passenger train that ran from beyond Carmarthen to the Aberystwyth line for a while. It was a weekly dated working from Swansea to Pwllheli holiday camp.

All through trains to Abersytwyth ceased in '65 when a bridge was washed away, bringing about the closure of the line.

By '68 the Carmarthen platforms at Aberystwyth had been converted to narrow gauge.

• RMweb Gold

Clive et al,

Kevin

Although there is a long thread, there does not seem to be a layout that has resulted from it.

Archived