Roxey Mouldings SR ex LSWR 44' full brake

• RMweb Gold

The longest build ever? 38 years after starting it im determined to finish this build. Its a really tricky kit I ran away from in 1977.

The kit cost me £4.73 including wheels, the current kit is £68 albeit with etched brass sides.

Thin laminated plasticard sides with white metal duckets stuck on had curved like bananas in storage. My first task was to sellotape the sides and under floor to my board and heat them with a hairdryer until they lay flat.

I made a start with the bogies. I may have finally found a method for holding wheels in place whilst gluing the bogie together - sandwich bag ties! One twist round the axle, then around the boge side , held the wheels in place to allow me to offer up the second side

post-12721-0-31666200-1439746045.jpg

post-12721-0-71620700-1439746094_thumb.jpg

Looking at the roxey kit I felt it was necessary to add some strenthg so I glued three thick plasticard partitions to the ceiling and left them to harden before adding the sides

post-12721-0-67055100-1439746239_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-39668600-1439746263_thumb.jpg

I then took on the task of cutting the vacuum formed roof to size and glueing it in place. This vehicle will have more filler in it than my Mk3 Cortina but I think I've done OK

post-12721-0-03584700-1439746462_thumb.jpg

Underframe next timepost-12721-0-22310800-1439747103_thumb.jpg

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Evening Colin,

Looks like this is going to be a nice build of a characterful prototype.

Nice to see a bit of kit resurrection and looks like you've overcome the worst areas.

Look forwards to further updates and what period is it going to be finished in?

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark, I plan a heavily weathered post was SR liveried (olive green?) survivor, hence it will have battery boxes and no lamp tops

I dont have paint or transfers sorted yet, don't want to tempt fate :)

Sounds like a good choice ;)

• RMweb Gold

So onwards.

Before taking on the underframe my nerves about how thin the body sides are got the better of me. I built up a framework off the floor to help positively locate the body and prevent inward warping. It also means I can temporarily mate body and chassis prior to painting and glazing.

post-12721-0-33017500-1439930181_thumb.jpg

Then I did get to the underframe. I found there were no v-hangers and no trusses either. I made up the trusses from 0.50 plastic rod, and the v-hangers from plasticard and asembled it all as per the instructions.

post-12721-0-68173300-1439930770_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You brave soul. I once started a couple of Roxey Maunsells (same type as the lovely Hornby ones). Lovely etchings (brass kits) but boy they are more complex than the Comet Kits I'm used to. So, show me the finished article mate and it might inspire me to dig those neglected beauties out once again............maybe.............................

Ducky.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Top stuff!

I got one of these kits (from Ebay), had a look and immediately put it back in its box and then got the etched version (Ebay again).

After seeing your work I'm inspired to get (either) out again.. although I may not have your bravery (or skill) to build them!

I've got one of these in the loft, which I started in the eighties, which, despite a bit of additional bracing, rapidly adopted more curves than Sophia Loren. Seeing this work I may be inspired to tackle it again, once I can get back into the loft after my hip operation.

I've recently described building a couple of LSWR coaches from the Roxey plastic era here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89574-roxeyswc-plastic-coach-kits/

I built the other way around, with separate roof, but I also used my Silhouette cutter to knock out some partitions to brace everything.

I still haven't found a couple of pair of cheap enough bogies to finish them off.

Jon

Edited by jonhall

Nice work, Jon, but with the compartment coaches you at least know where to put the bracing. Like Colin, but less successfully, I foolishly tried to keep them to a minimum, to retain the open nature of the van, but, with hindsight, with so few windows, I could have inserted lots more.

• 1 year later...

Just found this and it has saved me a lot of thought - your trick with the sandwich bag ties is genius. I have a similar set of plastic Roxey kits to make a 41/2 set, and finally got my act together to try and build them. I have to say I was impressed with the quality of the bogie castings, very little flash on them. One thing that still has me stumped though - the bogies have a long slotted coupling bar that fits in to them on the underside. Do you have any idea how this will work, as it's not mentioned in the instructions. Cheers, Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

i think they are supposed to glue onto the bogie to provide a "platform" to attach an old school hook and bar coupling. Im away at present but when i get home I'll see if my instructions give any clues.Alternatively give Dave at Roxey an email, he's really helpful.

Hi Phil,

i think they are supposed to glue onto the bogie to provide a "platform" to attach an old school hook and bar coupling. Im away at present but when i get home I'll see if my instructions give any clues.Alternatively give Dave at Roxey an email, he's really helpful.

Thanks Colin

I'll wait a couple of days to see if you can find anything, otherwise will email Dave - he's been helpful in the past as you say

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Colin

I'll wait a couple of days to see if you can find anything, otherwise will email Dave - he's been helpful in the past as you say

There are no instructions in my kit for this either. I think it works like this:

There's a slot in the bogie that allows you to fix the coupler mounting using the bogie mounting screw.

post-12721-0-93415700-1472637657_thumb.jpg

It would look like this:

post-12721-0-07929900-1472637670_thumb.jpg

I think you then fix your chosen coupling to the slotted end. Being white metal you could adapt it by cutting or bending to fit a proprietary coupling or NEM socket

There are no instructions in my kit for this either. I think it works like this:

There's a slot in the bogie that allows you to fix the coupler mounting using the bogie mounting screw.

attachicon.gif20160831_104844.jpg

It would look like this:

attachicon.gif20160831_104832.jpg

I think you then fix your chosen coupling to the slotted end. Being white metal you could adapt it by cutting or bending to fit a proprietary coupling or NEM socket

Very many thanks Colin, that is exactly what I have got, and with a bit of filing they fit perfectly. All I have to do now is sort out the couplings. I'll post some photos when the set is done.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif20160831_104844.jpg

It would look like this:

attachicon.gif20160831_104832.jpg

I've just found this thread- I recently resurrected a 48ft Bk 3rd but struggled with the supplied bogies. I ended up by buying a set of Fox bogies from 247 development and gluing the sides to cut - down Bachmann Bulleid bogies from the spares box. This solved the alignment and coupling problems.

post-21027-0-11192900-1489229313_thumb.jpg

post-21027-0-44659200-1489229442_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

38 years to finish this kit may not be the record! I have just ordered the transfers to finish mine. Not sure when I started it but it has the plastic sides. Like others I chickened out of the salmon & pink and painted it olive green.  

Here is my effort on similar timescales . Purchased 40 years ago and nearly finished , I see I haven’t removed the carrier film from a transfer . The plastic card body has been stable and strong . The bogies track well (EM gauge )  . 

74E4FC00-1424-4708-9A83-54173083146B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Very nice. Good job. I don't expect mine to quite come up to that standard. 

. I have just ordered my transfers from HMRS. Unfortunately several of the windows have crazed and 2 are unglazed. Tried that glue/ glaze as obviously the interior cannot be accessed. Does not seem to work for me but I will persevere.