RMweb

Hornby Class 50 Large Logo Black Roof Release Ajax & Vanguard

NIRCLASS80

• RMweb Premium

"Ajax" was one of my favourites too, though the black roof and 46 in the headcode panel place it too late for my modeling era. But is it me or do the crest and nameplate look too far apart, although I can't tell from the picture whether the plate is too low or the crest too high.

Also good to see Hornby has got the buffer beam colour correct on these; black on 46 but red on 24.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Headcode lights do work. I guess the contacts need pushing home a bit to make yours light up.

Like the class 56 there is no working fan, but the body side  vents still move.

The body felt a bit stiff on removal as if there was sticky resistance.

Paul

post-6856-0-62845300-1443717784_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-15228900-1443717823_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-91590800-1443717882_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-17742000-1443717914_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting. Yet another new PCB design unless I've missed something.

Does anyone know if this is NEM standard now with a common positive for us DCC folks?

Bruce

That's a good question !  This board looks very similar to the one in the latest Inter-City 125 Power Car

I suppose once one has a model to hand the led's could be checked to confirm if the common is + or - 

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad to see they have got rid of the original 8+4 pin dcc socket. Never understood why they were only on the 50. You had to have the correct 8+4 pin blanking plug to run it on a DC layout, a regular 8 pin just wouldnt work. A shame they couldn't do what they have done with the top light on the new HST and had it connected via a plug and lead connection. Reliability and ease of removal.