RMweb

Norwood Road

St. Simon

That bridge certainly has some character, Simon. In reality, it's just a footbridge - I've walked over it many times. Will you be modelling it as such, or using a bit of license and turning it into a roadbridge?

attachicon.gifbridge.jpg

Apologies for the fuzzy crop.

Hi Pete,

There's no enough room for a full road bridge, so it'll be kept as a footbridge, just got to think how to do those wholes through the middle!

Simon

There's no enough room for a full road bridge, so it'll be kept as a footbridge, just got to think how to do those wholes through the middle!

I'd guesstimate them as maybe 10mm, 6mm and 4mm diameter? Have a good search around in the bits box, kitchen drawer and toolbox... that's where I usually find everything!

• Like 1

Hi,

4)      Stock – I do lack a little bit of stock for the layout (come on Bachmann bring out an Electrostar!), although some of this was down to the stock coming off in the fiddle yard, like my container train. I will look into what’s causing this and try to rectify. I’m also looking at getting some other bits and bobs (Dapol 68 for instance) to bolster the suitable stock list

I've often contemplated the feasibility of crowdfunding OO scale Electrostars....I'll get my coat....

I've often contemplated the feasibility of crowdfunding OO scale Electrostars....I'll get my coat....

I'd take a couple of Southern ones if the price was right... I know you can get the cabs and "DIY" your own but I don't have the skills or time for that.

I'd take a couple of Southern ones if the price was right... I know you can get the cabs and "DIY" your own but I don't have the skills or time for that.

Same here- as long as they were sub £200 for a 4 car set I'd have some 3 and 4 car sets. Re the DIY version, I could probably do the cabs but I wouldn't be comfortable shortening bodies and chassis.

Hi

At Waterloo today I see that they have recently changed a left hand point (on the Windsor side).

Took a couple of pics but with the light fading at taken on my phone, the results aren't great.

Thought of you re changing your problematic Tillig point.

The spare ballast sacks and lighting trailer indicate recent activity. Thought this maybe of some use

post-8832-0-57380000-1487104689_thumb.jpg

post-8832-0-36925200-1487104895_thumb.png

Edited by Melangoose
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Regarding Electrostars, I'd really like a 376 at some point for my Woolwich based layout. Been thinking about how to go about making one.

If you go ahead, please let us have plenty of updates on here.

If you go ahead, please let us have plenty of updates on here.

I am not sure what method is likely to be best. The other Electrostars that others have done have used Bachmann 170s, but these are both too expensive and wrong for the 376s due to the different doors and non ribbon Windows.

I was thinking about 3d printing, but current prices would make it over£500 per five car set in 4mm, so not viable.

The only other option I can think of is etches, but not something I've yet attempted to do myself. Still likely expensive either way due to 5 car length.

If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them as the Electrostars are one of the missing items from the modern scene.

I am not sure what method is likely to be best. The other Electrostars that others have done have used Bachmann 170s, but these are both too expensive and wrong for the 376s due to the different doors and non ribbon Windows.

I was thinking about 3d printing, but current prices would make it over£500 per five car set in 4mm, so not viable.

The only other option I can think of is etches, but not something I've yet attempted to do myself. Still likely expensive either way due to 5 car length.

If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them as the Electrostars are one of the missing items from the modern scene.

I have no idea how to do it but resin bodies must be an option, too. 

However don't forget that the 4 car unit was the most common, it's only recently that 3's and 5's have appeared and run in combo.  That may be a better place to start as basically they are all the same, two driving vehicles and just something different in the middle.

Unfortunately as you say, it's only one of the big guys who are likely to have the capacity to bulk produce a unit at a price that we can afford, in the variety of liveries available now.  Given how many of the existing EMU's have sold out (apart from green - that doesn't seem to be so popular) it has to be on somebody's radar...

Hi

At Waterloo today I see that they have recently changed a left hand point (on the Windsor side).

Took a couple of pics but with the light fading at taken on my phone, the results aren't great.

Thought of you re changing your problematic Tillig point.

The spare ballast sacks and lighting trailer indicate recent activity. Thought this maybe of some use

attachicon.gifIMG_2958.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2965.PNG

Hi,

Firstly, sorry for not replying earlier, I've been on an RRI training course all week without internet, so I have only just got home and seen the comments!

Thanks for the photos, in talking with one of my operating crew, we are hopeful we can fix the point without changing it, but if we do and I go for a 'new' look, then I will use your photos as inspiration!

Really great article in BRM.

Thanks Kelly, glad you liked it!

If you want accurate dimensions and some photos, let me know

Will do, but I think the model will be more of a representation rather than accurate model, the gap is has to span is quite wide due to the sharp curve.

Simon

However don't forget that the 4 car unit was the most common, it's only recently that 3's and 5's have appeared and run in combo. That may be a better place to start as basically they are all the same, two driving vehicles and just something different in the middle.

Unfortunately as you say, it's only one of the big guys who are likely to have the capacity to bulk produce a unit at a price that we can afford, in the variety of liveries available now. Given how many of the existing EMU's have sold out (apart from green - that doesn't seem to be so popular) it has to be on somebody's radar...

That would be fine for the 4 and 3 car versions (375,377,379 etc). The 378 (overground) and the 376 however are different to the rest of them. The 376 being very different with no corridor connection on the cab, hopper Windows and inset rather than plug doors (iirc the 378s are very similar to that).

But from the one body shell the others should be possible as they're very externally similar. I have no interest really though at this stage other than the 376s however.

However don't forget that the 4 car unit was the most common, it's only recently that 3's and 5's have appeared and run in combo. That may be a better place to start as basically they are all the same, two driving vehicles and just something different in the middle.

Unfortunately as you say, it's only one of the big guys who are likely to have the capacity to bulk produce a unit at a price that we can afford, in the variety of liveries available now. Given how many of the existing EMU's have sold out (apart from green - that doesn't seem to be so popular) it has to be on somebody's radar...

Also, iirc, James wells who did a 377 model from the Bachmann 170 did experiment with resin bodies, but keeping them from warping due to the length proved difficult.

Perhaps the best option is for a group of us to crowd source a master and get a professional to cast them in resin?

• Like 1

That would be fine for the 4 and 3 car versions (375,377,379 etc). The 378 (overground) and the 376 however are different to the rest of them. The 376 being very different with no corridor connection on the cab, hopper Windows and inset rather than plug doors (iirc the 378s are very similar to that).

But from the one body shell the others should be possible as they're very externally similar. I have no interest really though at this stage other than the 376s however.

The 376's and 378's are much alike in terms of windows and doors, but I know one difference between the two is the cab, being to different designs, as well as the light clusters and gangways being different, the 378's having a full walk through train, the 376's lacking the feature.

Ben

Edited by bensanchez43310

I am with everyone on here. I am going to have a go at following James leads and others on here on chopping up some 170s however if there were a model produced I'd certainly be in for a few. 

However I would go for the very niche 357. 

On another note I picked up a copy of BRM to read your article and it was very enjoyable. I have not seen the layout in person yet but hope you do get a few more show so I shall be able to see it in the flesh. 

Benjamin 

post-11257-0-12323300-1487373649.jpg

Edited by Benjamin Brady
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Also, iirc, James wells who did a 377 model from the Bachmann 170 did experiment with resin bodies, but keeping them from warping due to the length proved difficult.

Perhaps the best option is for a group of us to crowd source a master and get a professional to cast them in resin?

Can we get bodies cast in transparent plastic and use Electra Railway Graphics vinyls for the livery etc.? Alternatively, who was that organisation making 3-d decals; maybe they would do?

Can we get bodies cast in transparent plastic and use Electra Railway Graphics vinyls for the livery etc.? Alternatively, who was that organisation making 3-d decals; maybe they would do?

I don't think that'd work out too well for some of them. Probably fine for n gauge I guess.

The 376s definitely wouldn't work with that method due to the inset doors.

To do it properly would likely not be cheap either, as it'd need to be printed at as high a quality as possible without the banding often seen on some from shapeways prints (or others) in order to get a good resin casting.

We're going off topic now though and should perhaps move this on to a new thread.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kelly,

Thanks, that was me, I did have a go at doing resin body castings but I found it tricky to mould a large item in resin without it bending - the rubber moulds would warp before the resin set hard. I think Jon Hall had some success adding metal wires into rubber mouldings for some of his projects, couldn't get it to work for me though!

I'm just surprised that after all these years, no RTR manufacturer has gone for the Electrostar (Hornby hinted back in 2007) - can't be long now though surely - perhaps the upcoming Bachmann '450' will be a litmus test for modern 3rd rail EMUs, we'll see!

Cheers

James Makin

Hi Kelly,

Thanks, that was me, I did have a go at doing resin body castings but I found it tricky to mould a large item in resin without it bending - the rubber moulds would warp before the resin set hard. I think Jon Hall had some success adding metal wires into rubber mouldings for some of his projects, couldn't get it to work for me though!

I'm just surprised that after all these years, no RTR manufacturer has gone for the Electrostar (Hornby hinted back in 2007) - can't be long now though surely - perhaps the upcoming Bachmann '450' will be a litmus test for modern 3rd rail EMUs, we'll see!

Cheers

James Makin

Ah, sorry, poor memory!

It will be interesting to see how well the 450 does and perhaps also how the 800 from Hornby does too, both are rather modern and a bit 'dull' to most when compared to the SR built emus like the hal and bil. (What though would be fantastic is for Hornby to do a bulleid epb or sub), leaving be built stuff for Bachmann.

At least to some extent, the same tooling could be used with careful planning to produce the 3 and 4 car versions (377, 375, etc). Even if Bachmann did one I rather doubt they'd tackle the unique 376 :-(

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how well the 450 does and perhaps also how the 800 from Hornby does too, both are rather modern and a bit 'dull' to most when compared to the SR built emus like the hal and bil.

I would like to think the success of the 450 (considering the purchase of this!) and 800 would be a good litmus test for further modern EMUs. That said, I'd rather it was a Hornby creation because of price and delivery. Thinking of the 450 for that- I'd say the price has gone up by £100 in the two and a half years from announcement to supposed release. Yes, I know, economy, tooling, production etc.

Hi,

As much as enjoy speculating on the appearance of a RTR Electrostar, just thought I'd update you on the improvements!

Although I'd don't have much to show for it, a couple of exciting things have been happening, first a new loco arrived, a DRS 68, which will be put to work on my London Bridge Ballast Trains, and I've also been doing all the wiring diagrams for a almost total rewire of the layout.

Most of the work will be concentrating on getting a new signalling system installed and then just tidying up the wiring that's there, as it's a bit of a spiders web. Currently I have the the new panel front being Laser cut, the interlocking data is written and I've just worked out my shopping list to come poet the rewire. I'm currently planning on the Easter weekend and half term to get most of the wiring finished.

Simon

• Like 7