New Layout - 'Hufeisental'

Alan Kettlewell

.. hit the 'post' button too soon there ..
In the above picture, the route for the arriving red Railjet was set too early ie before the preceding goods train had cleared the double slip.  I had some fiddling about to do in Train Controller 'schedule  settings' to change when routes and blocks are released - all sorted now I'm glad to say.

Apologies there hasn't been any updates for a while.  I took a couple of weeks off in December whilst I applied myself to learning how to use Templot - not to do with my layout but for a friend's O gauge layout. 

Meanwhile I've been working down the shed on a couple of jobs.  I've installed some additional sensors (reed switches) in the track in various places around the layout in order to improve traffic flow and to improve the way the surround sound works.  That's a bit difficult to explain but basically the momentary contacts as the locos pass over the reed switches provide the means by which the sound 'follows' the loco around the room.  So for example, in my station area I had a single reed in each track installed around the centre of the block.  So as a train arrives in the station the sound would suddenly arrive as the train passed over the reed.  This was not very effective as it gave little or no sense of the sound 'moving'  Now I've put extra reeds in each block, one at each end.  This is much more realistic as the sound travels from left to right (or vice versa) as it would on the real thing.

A consequence of adding and moving the reed switches was that I had to do a whole lot more testing with all the train schedules and the stopping places.  A further consequence of this was that, in some cases, routes were being changed before a train had fully entered a block - causing a train crash or a near miss now and then.  So I had to do quite a lot of work in the Train Controller software, looking at how and when blocks and routes were released to avoid premature changing of routes.  Anyway, I'm happy to say it's all sorted now and that traffic flows much better as a result.

attachicon.gif20180113_142302.jpg

So following all of that I needed to take some time to do maintenance - I have around 25 locos so quite a time consuming job to get them all driven out of their respective storage loops, serviced and back in again attached to their trains.

Heck, wasn't me your honour - 'onest ..

My PC did flip out during writing that thread .. must've had a hiccup!

Meanwhile, this arrived .. mmmm

post-1570-0-08808700-1516975577_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-79085600-1516975587_thumb.jpg

I found quite a lot of interesting history available on-line about these splendid K.Bay S3/6 locos.  This rather nice sound model is the Roco 63370 which I was surprised to learn was manufactured over 15 years ago.  The sound isn't too terrific with only a small number of sounds available on the chip and the words 'skin' and 'rice pudding' definitely apply to its pulling power.  But, I like it and, as it's in museum livery maybe I shouldn't have it running around at all - but it's my train set and all that lol..

I notice about it when compared to other models and real photos, that the tender is produced in plain blue ie no lining or KBAY STS B lettering.  A bit boring methinks.  I'm quite tempted to get my lining pen out and paint some lining on and look for some gold lettering decals.   Hmm... anyone know of a provider of HO decals for European models?

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 2

I decided I'll be able to improve the landscape around the West Spirals area if I didn't actually have the spiral there!

As it was:

post-1570-0-57401600-1516976504_thumb.jpg 

post-1570-0-66287100-1516976517_thumb.jpg

Having the spiral taking up so much space means there would have to be a high almost vertical rock face looming above that area.  Nothing wrong with that really as this is a model set in a (fictitious) mountainous region, but there's going to be a heck of a lot of vertical rock around the layout so I figured it would nice to have some more gently sloping scenery here and there.

Luckily there's a long stretch of track on the approach to the spiral so I was able to demolish it and replace with a gentle slope instead.

post-1570-0-32829000-1516976902_thumb.jpg 

Now I have much more space available in that corner to create the landscape.

The west spiral was on the right at the end, now a gentle slope connects the two levels:

post-1570-0-74733100-1516976918_thumb.jpg

Better I reckon, and no trouble for the locos.  Fortunately only short trains travel up on the third level so even the steam locos can handle it easily.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 3

I made up this small Auhagen bridge kit to span the gap between the two mountains at the rear of this corner (what mountains?)  Here I'm just checking for positioning before constructing all the supporting woodwork under it.  This short bridge will cross a deep valley and span the gap between two tunnels and provide only a fleeting glimpse of trains moving in and out of the level 3 storage yards.

post-1570-0-55464700-1516977273_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-36974300-1516977284_thumb.jpg

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 2

Meanwhile I've finalised the travel plans for the Europe rail trip.  My good mate and fellow modeller, Dave and I are going off to see a few sights in April.  Interrail tickets have been purchased, hotels and trips all booked up nice and early.  For interest, here's our itinerary:

post-1570-0-29145500-1516978160_thumb.jpg

We'll be taking in Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, overnight sleeper to Munich and then the Peter Porsche Museum (Traumwerk) near Salzburg, the Swiss Transport Museum in Lucerne, the Bernina Express (ST Moritz to Terano, Italy) and back, the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt and the Gronergrat mountain railway from Zermatt before heading home via Paris and the Eurostar.

All in all a fairly tough timetable but we're really looking forward to it.

Cheers ... Alan

Edited by Alan Kettlewell
  • Like 2

Hi Alan

Your holiday plans look   very interesting.

I have just returned from Hamburg, went to Miniature World, booked in advance 9am start, stayed until 16.00, Italy was almost complete just one board to be fitted,[21 Feb 2018 completion date]. ,Rome is very impressive I showed some photos to friends who have been to Rome and they thought I had actually visited Rome.

It was quite busy after 10am , The airport layout is always very popular, also the Cafe serves very good hot food at extremely reasonable prices 9 euros  with a drink.

Zermatt is great and a trip up Gornergraut Mountain 10,900 ft, via the rack railway is a pleasant journey, Matterhorn is right infront of you, and this again has a good restaurant.

Finally Munich , BMW have an excellent Car Museum loads of Classic vehicles, and yes they have a good eating place as well!

John

• Like 2

Meanwhile, this arrived .. mmmm

attachicon.gif20180120_110433.jpg

attachicon.gif20180120_110351.jpg

I found quite a lot of interesting history available on-line about these splendid K.Bay S3/6 locos.  This rather nice sound model is the Roco 63370 which I was surprised to learn was manufactured over 15 years ago.  The sound isn't too terrific with only a small number of sounds available on the chip and the words 'skin' and 'rice pudding' definitely apply to its pulling power.  But, I like it and, as it's in museum livery maybe I shouldn't have it running around at all - but it's my train set and all that lol..

I notice about it when compared to other models and real photos, that the tender is produced in plain blue ie no lining or KBAY STS B lettering.  A bit boring methinks.  I'm quite tempted to get my lining pen out and paint some lining on and look for some gold lettering decals.   Hmm... anyone know of a provider of HO decals for European models?

Cheers ... Alan

Hi Alan,

My mate has that model and I used to have the green version! I'm pretty sure both of our models would haul about 7 bogie coaches up and over his rather severe grades so I wonder if yours has a mechanical deficiency somewhere?

As for the livery, I thought this was for an exhibition somewhere (Brussels, 1910) but would be surprised if Roco got the details wrong! I know Märklin did a similar model, with lining on the Tender but I would trust Roco to be more accurate than Märklin as they have been known to do a few fictitious liveries.

I am not certain of this, of course, just advising caution but you do it as you prefer.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

Hi Alan

Your holiday plans look   very interesting.

I have just returned from Hamburg, went to Miniature World, booked in advance 9am start, stayed until 16.00, Italy was almost complete just one board to be fitted,[21 Feb 2018 completion date]. ,Rome is very impressive I showed some photos to friends who have been to Rome and they thought I had actually visited Rome.

It was quite busy after 10am , The airport layout is always very popular, also the Cafe serves very good hot food at extremely reasonable prices 9 euros  with a drink.

Zermatt is great and a trip up Gornergraut Mountain 10,900 ft, via the rack railway is a pleasant journey, Matterhorn is right infront of you, and this again has a good restaurant.

Finally Munich , BMW have an excellent Car Museum loads of Classic vehicles, and yes they have a good eating place as well!

John

Hi John. Sounds like you had a good trip and yes, looking forward to visiting Miniatur Wunderland a lot. We intend to get there really early and break half way through for lunch in there. I'll be looking to get advance tickets any day soon. No time so stop off and see anything in Munich I'm afraid as we're straight on to a train heading for Austria about 25 minutes after getting off the overnight sleeper. It is a really full on schedule. Thanks for the info ..

Cheers ... Alan

Hi Alan,

My mate has that model and I used to have the green version! I'm pretty sure both of our models would haul about 7 bogie coaches up and over his rather severe grades so I wonder if yours has a mechanical deficiency somewhere?

As for the livery, I thought this was for an exhibition somewhere (Brussels, 1910) but would be surprised if Roco got the details wrong! I know Märklin did a similar model, with lining on the Tender but I would trust Roco to be more accurate than Märklin as they have been known to do a few fictitious liveries.

I am not certain of this, of course, just advising caution but you do it as you prefer.

Cheers,

John.

Interesting about the pulling power, I should do some more tests as the coaches I first hooked it to were an older Rhengold set from Marklin - quite heavy! Maybe some more modern manufactured and lighter coaches might suit better.

I only found one photograph of a real S3/6 in blue livery and that was not number 3618 as mine is. It had a more interesting lined tender and had nice brass number plates on each side of the boiler, neither of which are featured on 3618 model. I'm sure you're right about Roco and how they more than likely have it correct. I find it a bit of a shame as it's a nice model otherwise but the lining and other features look so much better. I've seen the versions from Marklin and another from Lilliput, neither are number 3618 but both makers have modelled the additional features.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

Came across this photo of a model of KPEV S3/6 number 3618. Complete with brass numbers on the boiler and lined and lettered tender. Odd how different model makers have different versions of the same loco, unless it is fictitious anyway, or different times in its life.

post-1570-0-83410200-1517072563_thumb.jpeg

Cheers .. Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile I've finalised the travel plans for the Europe rail trip.  My good mate and fellow modeller, Dave and I are going off to see a few sights in April.  Interrail tickets have been purchased, hotels and trips all booked up nice and early.  For interest, here's our itinerary:

attachicon.gifPlan 3.jpg

We'll be taking in Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, overnight sleeper to Munich and then the Peter Porsche Museum (Traumwerk) near Salzburg, the Swiss Transport Museum in Lucerne, the Bernina Express (ST Moritz to Terano, Italy) and back, the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt and the Gronergrat mountain railway from Zermatt before heading home via Paris and the Eurostar.

All in all a fairly tough timetable but we're really looking forward to it.

Cheers ... Alan

Interesting trip you have planned here. I see you will go over the Arlberg pass, you can get some inspiration there (probably you have room somewhere at your layout for the Wiesberg castle and the Trisanna bridge...)

Also the Bernina express - one of the nicest train rides I ever did. Makes me jealous...  :)  :) 

• Like 1

Interesting trip you have planned here. I see you will go over the Arlberg pass, you can get some inspiration there (probably you have room somewhere at your layout for the Wiesberg castle and the Trisanna bridge...)

Also the Bernina express - one of the nicest train rides I ever did. Makes me jealous...  :)  :)

That looks great, looking forward to that part.  I am planning a castle on a hill but I don't have a place where a single line crosses a valley that deep or that long.  Inspiring scenery all the same.  Thanks...

Cheers ... Alan

• 4 weeks later...

After all the work fitting the extra sensors and subsequent testing I thought I'd get on with more layout building and started work on the main station.

​First though, some research into platforms on the DB which showed quite a variety of heights ranging from 550mm (above track height) in rural stations to 760mm in towns - and anything in between.  Also higher again for S-Bahn platforms but I was able to dismiss this as I don't have any S-Bahn.  So for this station I've opted for a fairly standard height of 760mm ie 8.7mm in 1:87 scale.  My Peco track is 4mm high so for the platforms I've used 4mm underlay topped with 9mm MDF to bring it up to near enough the right height.  0.3mm over to be exact but there's a bit of compression into the underlay when screwing it down to I'm happy it's about the right height.  The top station on the opposite side of the layout is a rural station so I'll build that one to 550mm high (when I get around to it!)

I got the straight parts of the platforms cut at the timber merchants but I've made things a bit awkward for myself as the platforms are all of a different width!  Where the ends of the platforms curve I've cut to shape with a hand saw - not too difficult.  I've chosen not to have ramps at the ends as I didn't see many DB like that - anyway ramps are more of a British style methinks.

post-1570-0-08414700-1519632130_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-81159400-1519632150_thumb.jpg

Also there's such a variety of platform surfaces to pick from.  On previous layouts I've done this the easy way by sprinkling budgie cage sand onto a wet glued surface, which when painted later forms a reasonable tarmac effect.  But I don't see too many platform surfaces on DB stations built this way and anyway I'm trying for a more modern look.  Tiled surfaces seem to be the norm but again such a variety in existence and a lot of variation as where and how 'safety lines' are made near the platform edges.  A lot are made from a contrasting tile, some are just painted on and some have several different colour schemes towards the platform edge.  

This platform for example. has four rows of contrasting tiles leading up to the edge stone:  

post-1570-0-33643500-1519631985_thumb.jpg

After some experimentation I've opted for a simpler look with a single white line before the edge, and the edge itself made from a contrasting sandy shade:   

post-1570-0-40717900-1519632304_thumb.jpg

The edging stone is made from plastic, scribed at 10mm intervals. The 'tiling' is a print I made in PowerPoint and produced onto heavy card.  After trying out  various tile sizes I settled on a 400 x 400mm square tile.  I've found card print like this works OK as, if it's cut into strips, it can be gently curved a little to follow the platform edge where it's not straight.  For straight platforms it can be cut and laid in larger sections.  I make sure any 'part tiles' are towards the middle, and which will probably be covered in some sort of platform furniture later.  

And there's the platform faces to consider ...

Edited by Alan Kettlewell
  • Like 9

Meanwhile... I made this kit of a cute little castle by Auhagen which will look the part on my layout ..

post-1570-0-50624600-1520006635_thumb.jpeg

post-1570-0-31556400-1520006657_thumb.jpeg

This is a very small scale and is intended to be in the far distant landscape. I've rigged it with a couple of LEDs and appropriate resistors so It'll look good way up on top and to the rear of my West Spiral mountain (when I build it).

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 4

Meanwhile... I made this kit of a cute little castle by Auhagen which will look the part on my layout ..

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

This is a very small scale and is intended to be in the far distant landscape. I've rigged it with a couple of LEDs and appropriate resistors so It'll look good way up on top and to the rear of my West Spiral mountain (when I build it).

Cheers ... Alan

Looks good enough to eat ! Seriously I like the German Kits, you have  had a relaxing time then , snow clearing soon then next job.!!

• Like 1

Looks good enough to eat ! Seriously I like the German Kits, you have  had a relaxing time then , snow clearing soon then next job.!!

Cute isn't it? I like a lot of their kits too. I'm currently working on the main station area so I'm weighing up kits of station buildings on the market. I'd really like something such as the magnificent Bonn station but I don't have the space for anything quite so grand. My main station building is going to be positioned on a road bridge crossing the tracks an angle above and I'll only have around a 60cm maximum length available. This will mean constructing several lifts and stairways descending to the four platforms below for my little passengers to get to the trains.

Also I'm working on designs for various bits of platform furniture, shelters, canopies, seating, advertising and destination boards and so on. I enjoy the research (well, web searches to be precise) and my trip over there next month will be useful In that respect I'm sure.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 2

During this spell of bad weather I've been pottering around in my modelling room in the house and looking at examples of waiting rooms/shelters for the platforms on the main station Hufeisental.

On previous layouts I've modelling mainly British layouts in bygone years, so most railway buildings and structures have been made from card with brick or stone embossed plasticard overlays to give texture. Whilst I've found these a pleasure to model, I'm looking at a more modern look for this station.

Research on the web shows that modern waiting rooms and shelters are very diverse and it seems very much up to the local town/city to chose the design. Also most of them are modern glass, steel and plastic structures, more like bus shelters.

Like these:

post-1570-0-30457200-1520111957.jpeg

post-1570-0-94839300-1520111982_thumb.jpeg

But will these fit in with the overall design?:

post-1570-0-37158900-1520112068.jpeg

Ha, in my dreams ...

So anyway, as I'm the architect, here's my design for passenger waiting rooms:

post-1570-0-13522500-1520112364_thumb.jpeg

post-1570-0-25831300-1520112412_thumb.jpeg

This is just a trial piece at the moment, I'll get a bit neater as I progress with the other 6 or 8! I haven't done a lot of modelling using plastic strip overlays so it's a bit rough and ready.

I've knocked up a trial lighting system embedding a resistor and two LEDs into the roof space:

post-1570-0-25165800-1520112724_thumb.jpeg

post-1570-0-84719400-1520112752_thumb.jpeg

post-1570-0-81060300-1520112791_thumb.jpeg

That works ok. The wires will run down through drain pipes which I'll cut from the hollow stems of cotton buds.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 2

Ref the main station building, have you looked at the vollmer 'Baden Baden' option? A touch long in length as designed but I've seen it adapted into many different sized structures.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vollmer+baden+baden&client=ms-android-samsung&dcr=0&prmd=imsvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijksLMkdHZAhWIaVAKHR2ZA0YQ_AUICSgB&biw=1280&bih=800

Plus It's very German!

Ref the main station building, have you looked at the vollmer 'Baden Baden' option? A touch long in length as designed but I've seen it adapted into many different sized structures.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vollmer+baden+baden&client=ms-android-samsung&dcr=0&prmd=imsvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijksLMkdHZAhWIaVAKHR2ZA0YQ_AUICSgB&biw=1280&bih=800

Plus It's very German!

Hi, yes I've often drooled over this one and indeed considered adapting ie leaving out sections to shorten it to fit. I'd need further adaptation to hide the fact that it's raised in order to sit on a platform one side and with steps up into the building from the street side. Not altogether ruled out but some work required to make it work.

Cheers .. Alan

• Like 1

Actually Alan, DB has modernised their waiting-room design (it's indeed a glass/steel combo) to a standard design and IIRC Faller makes a H0 model of it. They also do kits of modern lifts and stairs/escalators. As for inspiration for your station building, consider Mannheim and Heidelberg. Both have their platforms on or below street level. Mannheim in particular is reminiscent of Bonn, so might be too large. Or design and build your own with the Auhagen building blocks range.

HTH!

Hi, yes thanks. I've looked at a few kits of lifts and stairways down to platforms. Some good stuff out there and again If purchased I'd need to make adaptations as my platforms may not be the correct spacing for the over bridges. Skilful use of a craft knife would be required but not completely out of the question. I could argue that as they may be completely hidden underneath the road bridge so why model them at all? Particularly if I intend to bastardise them to fit, and then hide them out of sight! Hard to decide that one so I'll let that decision rest until I progress further. Sometimes, a later attack of inspiration overrides earlier thoughts..one of the, er .. advantages? of making it up as you go along ..

I'll have a look at those stations thanks - or there's Hamburg - which would need a larger shed! Lol.

Cheers .. Alan

• Like 1

More ramblings from my workshop ...

Working on Mk2 of my platform waiting rooms - I remembered I have some spare LED strip on a reel that was left over from a kitchen lighting project I did some time ago. So after a bit of experimenting I've come up with a neater lighting solution for the waiting rooms. Here I've cut off a 3 LED strip and wired up a resistor.

post-1570-0-77630700-1520350660_thumb.jpeg

These lights are multicoloured so each LED has Red, Green and Blue mixing to make millions of different shades. That looks great in my kitchen but isn't much use for the waiting rooms. So with a little thought (thinking is so hard these days..lol) I've soldered one end of the resistor across the RGB contacts which of course makes white light - simples!

post-1570-0-14171500-1520350894_thumb.jpeg

Here's the new arrangement stuck in place on a piece of card which will be the ceiling. Again I'll pass the wires down through a drain pipe at each end.

post-1570-0-32960600-1520351016_thumb.jpeg

The almost complete Mk2 version. I've added an open doorway this time - just a bit more tidying up to do and add some seats, rubbish bins etc.

post-1570-0-03391100-1520351142_thumb.jpeg

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Very nice!

As it looks there are already SMD resistors on the LED strip. But in any case one more - just to guarantee that the current cannot destroy the diodes - cannot be wrong.

Vecchio

• Like 1