New Layout - 'Hufeisental'

Alan Kettlewell

I find the RhB and its history interesting.  The Allegra units look very nice but a bit too modern for my fictitious old time bit of tourist sight-seeing line, also a little too long to fit into the available space I have planned  for the hidden sidings.  I've knocked up the schematic below taken from the Train Controller screen for level 3 on my layout.  The metre gauge lines are shown in red and you should see where it terminates in the station which provides for OBB standard gauge 'through' lines and a terminus line for the metre gauge across the platform. 

The metre gauge line will meander up the mountain (from left to right on the diagramme), through a passing loop near the top of the rise, across the big bridge and out of sight (to Switzerland) terminating in two sidings inside the East Spiral mountain.  Notice that from the station platform, the line will zig-zag right-left-right in order to gain some height and reduce the gradient.  

post-1570-0-00896400-1542352303_thumb.png

Side elevation schematic showing metre gauge line rising via zig-zag movement.  Apologies that the view is reversed from the schematic above.

post-1570-0-55669900-1542353177_thumb.png 

… and on the layout the area currently under construction (including 1:1 scale box of screws!)   

post-1570-0-84521800-1542354629_thumb.png  

The hidden sidings for the metre gauge line will be a maximum of 90cm long so I'm restricted to short trains only - I'm planning for a maximum of 2 coaches plus loco or perhaps a railcar plus a coach.  This suits the line as I'm planning trains to run with adhesion only so long trains wouldn't be viable.  Also bearing in mind the line will be operated automatically by 'Train Controller' so I have to allow for a sensor at the entrance to sidings and appropriate stopping distances and so on.  On this plan I'll be able to run four trains on automatic sequences - better get shopping!

Cheers … Alan

• Like 2

They are nice units... just ignore that they run on a very different voltage to your Krokodil ;)

Looking forward to seeing something cross that bridge!

Thanks again for pointing this out.  For this part of the project I'll be shopping on eBay for older used stock.  I'll need another two or three locos so how can I be sure not to order any further Bernina locos eg do they have different markings/logos or any other visual clue?  I can research of course but not all ebay offerings are obvious, and often I'll want to grab something quick if it's something I fancy and there's a buy-it-now or make an offer option.  Grateful for any pointers ..

Cheers … Alan     

• RMweb Gold

There are only two Bernina railcars in the Bemo range. The old style you’ve bought, also in red and green/cream and the more modern 50 series railcars that are still running alongside the Allegra’s.

post-6968-0-19083500-1542375097_thumb.jpeg

I wouldn’t worry too much, one of the old ones used to run my engineers train on Rhätia ;)

3256276068_97c9b73681_b.jpg2009-01-18 Tolworth Showtrain (3) by -salisburyASC-

• Like 6

90cm sidings should be long enough for loco+3 if you find you want a bit more and have short coaches (I'm basing that on my HOm project which is loco+3 with slightly shorter storage, but Brunig/LSE based rather than RhB). Bernina coaches are shorter than RhB core route coaches due to the tight line curvature, but the Bernina coaches can be seen all over the network, not just on the 1 route.

Your plan and short train length probably would work well as a 'pendelzug' format (push-pull), something like this would be ideal: https://www.google.com/search?q=rhb+bemo+7265&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjQ2OmcjdneAhWJw-AKHfkiBOYQ2-cCegQIABAB&oq=rhb+bemo+7265&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3...40030.43000..43693...0.0..0.66.471.8......0....1.........0i8i30.0tCwfPLzIzY&ei=ddHuW5DKK4mHgwf5xZCwDg&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=imnv&biw=1280&bih=800 that railcar isn't a Bernina unit ;) some of the shorter RhB services are also worked as loco+3 with the end coach being a driving vehicle:

post-9147-0-95839300-1542378473_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-30632700-1542378497_thumb.jpg

I don't think your Krokodil can work push-pull but the Ge4/4i, ii, and iii all can.

There's also the be4/4 railcar units, originally 3 vehicle sets which would work for you (I've seen a HOm model of these, I assume it was Bemo?) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_Railway_Be_4/4

Rule 1, you could use the excuse that your Bernina power car has had its electrical gubbins replaced to work at the higher AC voltage :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice and info chaps, much appreciated.

I'll have to put it to the test whether I can fit 2 or 3 coaches in the sidings, also how many can be pushed up the winding hill without any problems.

Thanks also for the links and pictures, I can see the attraction with Swiss narrow gauge modelling.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On Rhätia I could push 4 coaches up a 1in20 on a 16inch radius curve without issue. The only thing that caused problems was if the airpipes snagged, so I just bent them sideways a bit so there was clearance ;)

• Like 2

Very nice, have just bought two of the Arosa coaches, one is a driving trailer. Nice layout and makes me wonder if I'll ever get mine progressed that far ..

Cheers ... Alan

Edit - I didn't notice the pan ..

You just need the "Pullman coach now" travelled in it from Chur to Arosa 3 years back, very comfortable armchairs, pulled by an Allegra  no other coaches

Edited by brittannia

You just need the "Pullman coach now" travelled in it from Chur to Arosa 3 years back, very comfortable armchairs, pulled by an Allegra no other coaches

I was looking at a set of four of those going on eBay, about £365 I think, around £90 each new from MBL. Lovely though and very desirable. Christmas coming up soon ...hmmmm.

Cheers ... Alan

Edit: correction, the four set on eBay is £250 or offers.

Edited by Alan Kettlewell

I decided I wanted to add interest to the mountain line by making a short viaduct part way up the slope. So this will be a curved viaduct on an incline - I must really like making things difficult for myself. Also it will be a one sided viaduct. Just to clarify that, I mean I'll be modelling the front side only, the rear side will be embedded in the Rock face.

It'll be roughly 40cm long by 40cm high, with three arches First, marking out on a piece of poster card cut to the correct profile, making sure to have the arch walls vertical and the arch tops following the incline:

post-1570-0-64250100-1542636341_thumb.jpg

Olfa cutter in action to cut out the arches. For ease of modelling I'm making the arches semi-circular:

post-1570-0-71985500-1542636545_thumb.jpg

So far so good:

post-1570-0-06345600-1542636649_thumb.jpg

Next I made it into a box shape by gluing pieces of cardboard to make sides and a back. I'll be making the whole thing on the work bench and slide it into position under the track when it's completed. It will not be supporting the track as that's already laid.

post-1570-0-84367100-1542636989_thumb.jpg

More to follow...

• Like 3

Viaduct Build ... Continued.

At this stage I thought it might be wise to check it's going to fit:

post-1570-0-81535900-1542637386_thumb.jpg

Yep, good enough. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I've glued a snowy back scene on the long wall down this side of the layout which I did by making a panoramic photo then reversing the whole thing. The only problem with this method on a long scene is that you get multiple repetitions of the picture. I'll be working on ways to disguise the repeated pattern by adding other pictures in front to make a montage but I'll keep that for another day as I've still a fair bit of work to do on it.

Meanwhile, on with the viaduct.

Time to make the arches:

post-1570-0-45911000-1542637326_thumb.jpg

Those arches are glued in place, now for something different - for me anyway. When making viaduct or arches I struggle with making the arch stones, having tried a few methods previously this time I'm having a go at making them with DAS modelling clay. I used the tube out of a roll of cling film as a rolling pin and rolled out a chunk of the clay. Then using a piece of foam board as a template, I cut out the semi-circle I need. The next bit, the outer side I did by eye ..

post-1570-0-51610200-1542638045_thumb.jpg

Stuck it in place around the arch:

post-1570-0-33749900-1542638544_thumb.jpg

Then as acutely as I could by eye again, I marked the arch stones with the back of my knife blade.

post-1570-0-44213300-1542638647_thumb.jpg

Nearly done:

post-1570-0-33505600-1542638764_thumb.jpg

More to follow...

• Like 5

Viaduct continued.

The arch stones are about as good as I can get them. There's room for improvement for sure but for a first go using clay they're not too bad and should be improved a bit when I set to with the painting.

post-1570-0-95514200-1542639132_thumb.jpg

I started cladding the front wall and arch side walls with my favourite stonework building material - Slaters 7mm dressed stone (item 0415), then realised I'd used up nearly all my supply on an earlier project .. So I ran out of it.. doh!

However I can bash on in the meantime until a new order arrives, easy enough to add cladding on later. For the next part I cut out and stuck in some polystyrene shapes. I used the electric kitchen knife for the cutting (better not let the missus know!) It still makes a mess but not too bad. One day I'll get one of those hot wire cutters.

post-1570-0-16787800-1542639098_thumb.jpg

Finally for today, I mixed some plaster and spread it around suitably hacked away to form rock faces. This is from an out of date bag of plaster I got free round at the local building supplies store. It goes off quite fast so I have to work with small amounts and go quick.

post-1570-0-96881800-1542639948_thumb.jpg

Time to let this all dry and then on with the painting and the decoration, trees, bushes, undergrowth and so on- hopefully my supply of Plasticard will arrive tomorrow.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 5

I was looking at a set of four of those going on eBay, about £365 I think, around £90 each new from MBL. Lovely though and very desirable. Christmas coming up soon ...hmmmm.

Cheers ... Alan

Edit: correction, the four set on eBay is £250 or offers.

There is an older set that does not have the same decoration as the newer Trix 5 car set plus there is a 2 car set to make a 7 car set, I indulged myself a couple of years ago and bought all 7, I do find uncoupling a bit of a bind though

There is an older set that does not have the same decoration as the newer Trix 5 car set plus there is a 2 car set to make a 7 car set, I indulged myself a couple of years ago and bought all 7, I do find uncoupling a bit of a bind though

I know the ones you mean, I have a lovely HO pullman set (CIWL) from Roco or Fleischmann I think. But in this instance I was looking at the Bemo HOm set which has MOB logos. Would make a really nice train.

Cheers ... Alan

I know the ones you mean, I have a lovely HO pullman set (CIWL) from Roco or Fleischmann I think. But in this instance I was looking at the Bemo HOm set which has MOB logos. Would make a really nice train.

Cheers ... Alan

This is the rather nice set of Golden Pass Pullman coaches I've been looking at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEMO-HOm-GAUGE-SET-OF-4-MOB-GOLDEN-MOUNTAIN-PULLMAN-EXPRESS-COACHES-BM4/202502129759

Cheers .. Alan

• Like 1

This is the rather nice set of Golden Pass Pullman coaches I've been looking at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEMO-HOm-GAUGE-SET-OF-4-MOB-GOLDEN-MOUNTAIN-PULLMAN-EXPRESS-COACHES-BM4/202502129759

Cheers .. Alan

Hi Alan, They do look good, Rails usually accept offers on E Bay, so you may get them a little cheaper than the asking price, Sorry for not reading your earlier post correctly.

John

• Like 1

There seems to have been a big influx of Bemo HOm bits at Rails recently (and yes they do accept offers ;) ), just decide if you're happy with a mish-mash of narrow gauge stock because they look nice or if you'd prefer to stick with just 1 line's equipment. If ghe latter, at least with RhB you can kinda excuse BVZ, FO, and MGB stock being on the same line. However I'm not sure on coupling compatibility with visiting MOB stock, and the SBB Brunig, ZB, LSE line definitely isn't compatible.

Hi Alan, They do look good, Rails usually accept offers on E Bay, so you may get them a little cheaper than the asking price, Sorry for not reading your earlier post correctly.

John

No worries John.  I like the stuff from Rails it's always good kit  - and I found by experiment they'll often accept about 15% less.

Cheers … Alan

There seems to have been a big influx of Bemo HOm bits at Rails recently (and yes they do accept offers ;) ), just decide if you're happy with a mish-mash of narrow gauge stock because they look nice or if you'd prefer to stick with just 1 line's equipment. If ghe latter, at least with RhB you can kinda excuse BVZ, FO, and MGB stock being on the same line. However I'm not sure on coupling compatibility with visiting MOB stock, and the SBB Brunig, ZB, LSE line definitely isn't compatible.

I agree.  After mistakenly buying the Bernina railbus I reckon on sticking with RhB stock from now on and ignore any nice looking stuff from other lines - I'll have to exercise a bit of will power!  

Chees … Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree. After mistakenly buying the Bernina railbus I reckon on sticking with RhB stock from now on and ignore any nice looking stuff from other lines - I'll have to exercise a bit of will power!

Chees … Alan

Well they are the same coaches ;) , just in their original livery! They currently carry the blue with Alpine Classic Express lettering. Bemo have covered all 5 liveries.

MOB,

RhB green & cream,

RhB red & cream,

RhB r&c with SOS logo and

RhB blue & cream Alpine Classic Pullman Express.

• Like 1

Well they are the same coaches ;) , just in their original livery! They currently carry the blue with Alpine Classic Express lettering. Bemo have covered all 5 liveries.

MOB,

RhB green & cream,

RhB red & cream,

RhB r&c with SOS logo and

RhB blue & cream Alpine Classic Pullman Express.

I'm following a couple of the green & cream coaches on eBay. They might fit the old fashioned aspect of the line I'm after.

Cheers ... Alan

I thought I'd add some ground cover to my little viaduct project, and while I was rummaging around for some scenic materials I came across an electronic fly swatter and a metal mesh strainer that I'd bought quite some time ago to make a static grass applicator. As it happens, I've already put a Pecoscene applicator on my Christmas list, so I thought, now's the time to have a go at making this home made one so I can decide whether or not it will do instead of forking out for an expensive one.

Instructions, which I found in several places on the interweb, and on YouTube, seem fairly straight forward - take batteries out (most advisable), undo the screws that expose the electronic stuff inside the handle, take off the head of the swatter (you have to break it away), expose and cut the two wires that attach to the swatter, solder one of those wires to your strainer, attach and solder an 18 inch lead and a crocodile clip to the other wire, find a way of keeping the strainer fixed in place, put the handle back together, put batteries in. Job done.

All in all it took less than a hour. Here I'm fixing the strainer in to the handle, held in place by two pegs while I add some dollops of hot glue:

post-1570-0-57780800-1542818273_thumb.jpg

..strainer firmly fixed in, soldering done, wire and croc clip attached and handle put back on:

post-1570-0-01656100-1542818387_thumb.jpg

Time for some tests:

post-1570-0-06779300-1542818490_thumb.jpg

It seems to work, although I've had no prior practice so the jury is still out on the quality of the job. This is two layers of the very fine 2mm static grass, which is all I have in stock. I'll buy some longer grass at Warley on Saturday and add to it then report back. With a bit of luck I might have saved a fair chunk of cash (more to spend on some nice Bemo models!)

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 3