New Layout - 'Hufeisental'

Alan Kettlewell

You've got your work cut out their Alan but enjoyable non the less, it's always good to diversify to keep the interest going eh !

Well done with the plaster find.

Just out of interest may I ask what trees you will be using once you're at that stage as I was considering makng my own fir trees until I realised the amount and time it would take ! Maybe a few scratch build with some modified "generic" infills.

Cheers

Grahame

• Like 1

A few more photos:

Some plaster applied:

post-1570-0-74506000-1471416248_thumb.jpg

The landscape is really beginning to dwarf the railway now.  For paint for this kind of scenic work, I get 1/4 litre sample tins of emulsion mixed at the local DIY shop, at £2.50 each I find this a cheap method and they can be watered down for thin dirty washes etc, and of course you can get any colour you like.  Here I've used a base colour of dark grey then dry brushed over with lighter shades of grey and white. 

post-1570-0-77037500-1471416439_thumb.jpg

Some ground cover added.   

post-1570-0-21773200-1471416596_thumb.jpg

Coming on nicely.  This is still a work in progress and only a test area really.  There's still tons to do but sometimes I like to practice a little (I get bored easily just focussing on one job).  I deliberately scraped out some horizontal strata in the rock to justify a bit of greenery growing there - as it does - much more interesting to me rather than plain rock.  I'll be modelling the layout in a summer time theme as I prefer the bright look  of summer colours - although I'm tempted to add a dusting of snow up high on the hill tops.  Hmmm ...     

post-1570-0-31087700-1471416668_thumb.jpg

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 8

You've got your work cut out their Alan but enjoyable non the less, it's always good to diversify to keep the interest going eh !

Well done with the plaster find.

Just out of interest may I ask what trees you will be using once you're at that stage as I was considering makng my own fir trees until I realised the amount and time it would take ! Maybe a few scratch build with some modified "generic" infills.

Cheers

Grahame

Hi Grahame,

I'm not sure yet about the trees, there'll be hundreds to do so I'll need a fast and cheap method.  I've got some of those trees in a box left over from previous layouts but they won't go far and would be too expensive for a lot of them. 

I've made trees in the past using the twisted wire method but, as you say, it's very time consuming.  For distant regions on the layout, where accuracy isn't so important, I'm wondering about buying some of those job lots of 100 or even 500 trees you can buy.  Can't recall where I've seen them now but I'll look it up. 

I'm also thinking I'll make the trees smaller higher up the hillsides to give the impression of distance.  

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan

Possibly using something like Noch 32521 pack of 50 in the nether regions might help, I've purchased some to "play about with" and have given them a wire brushing to get rid if the same-y ness ( is that a word?) and given them a make-over with my static grass applicator although the jury here is still out on the final finish !

Enjoy :)

Grahame

• Like 1

Hi Alan

Possibly using something like Noch 32521 pack of 50 in the nether regions might help, I've purchased some to "play about with" and have given them a wire brushing to get rid if the same-y ness ( is that a word?) and given them a make-over with my static grass applicator although the jury here is still out on the final finish !

Enjoy :)

Grahame

Yes, same-y-ness, good word :onthequiet: and I know what you mean.  You'll have to show us the results eh?

Looking at these from China - works out at around £15 for 100.  Might be alright for the nether regions ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191843162745?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cheers ... Alan

Edited by Alan Kettlewell

Hi Alan

Not entirely convinced with these but I thought I'd share them with you ( please excuse the quality of the photos - and the trees !)

post-20303-0-09290200-1471424589_thumb.jpeg

post-20303-0-43008200-1471424604.jpeg

post-20303-0-61506600-1471424625_thumb.jpeg

post-20303-0-91740600-1471424644_thumb.jpeg

Some made using dowelling with wire inserts and grass applicator the others from the cheaper ranges and brushed prior to static grass added.

Hope you don't mind me saying but I'm not convinced with the items you've suggested having seen some I think they don't really cut the mustard to be honest, but you may be able to tickle 'em up so to speak.

Cheers

Arthur Borculturist

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Learning About Catenary

Time then to learn about this catenary stuff. 

I'm making a start on forming the landscape around the lower curve on the East Spirals, so before I get too carried away I wanted to get a feel for how and where the catenary masts will fit.  Typical of a lot of models, my curves are pretty tight so that means more masts are needed.  I did once actually see a layout where the overhead wire had been curved to follow the track - not a good look!  Using these two handy jigs I'm setting out the distance between masts on the curve so ensure the overhead wires don't fall outside of the rail.  Even though I won't be using the overhead for electrical connection, I still want it to look reasonably correct.

The holes in the jig are to set the correct distance away for the varying types of masts.  I'm fitting standard masts here and the correct distance is 34mm from track centre.  You can see the small holes between the tracks that help you to work out the correct spacing between masts.  On a sharp outside curve like this the arms on the masts will be the short type.  On the inner track, the arms will be of the 'long' type so that on curves the overhead wire is hung towards the outer edge of the curve.  On straight track they'll alternate short-long-short-long so you get the proper 'zig-zag'.   

attachicon.gifSetting out.jpg    

attachicon.gifSetting out2.jpg

So I've temporarily fitted three masts - ta-daaaa.  I feel quite chuffed at that.  Here's my test loco under the wires.  I'll continue this all around the curve but will probably take them down before I do the landscaping here - wouldn't want to be knocking it all with my elbows or getting glue, paint, plaster etc on it.

attachicon.gifTesting.jpg

attachicon.gifTesting 2.jpg

Incidentally the steep wall in the picture is made from strong cardboard stuck over the formers with hot glue.  I find this to be quick to do and minimal cost - there's always plenty of cardboard around and I keep spare boxes aside just for this purpose.  Later I'll form the rock face here with plaster - a messy job but good fun! 

Quite enjoyable really. 

Cheers ... Alan

Just one hint about catenary and finding the right place for the masts. Try using a loco for your tests which doesn't have bogies and which has a central pantograph. The OBB 1161 shunter is perfect - especially as it also has a narrow pantograph. Works better than any jig...

Great layout!

Vecchio

Hi Alan

Not entirely convinced with these but I thought I'd share them with you ( please excuse the quality of the photos - and the trees !)

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Some made using dowelling with wire inserts and grass applicator the others from the cheaper ranges and brushed prior to static grass added.

Hope you don't mind me saying but I'm not convinced with the items you've suggested having seen some I think they don't really cut the mustard to be honest, but you may be able to tickle 'em up so to speak.

Cheers

Arthur Borculturist

I think these are great and look the part just fine.  You're probably right about the China trees - a bit basic when you look up close.

Nice viaduct by the way.

Cheers ... Alan the Tree Feller

• 3 months later...

Hi Craig,

Nothing further to report yet.  I took up archery this year so the layout has taken a bit of a back seat in the last couple of months.  However I will be getting back into it over the winter months as I'm sure there'll be plenty of days when it's too cold to do outdoor pursuits.  I've had the odd day in the big shed just keeping things clean and running trains around but no further work on the scenery.  Must do better!  Anyway thanks for your continued interest - I'll be sure to post up any progress as I get back into it.

Cheers ... Alan

Hi Craig,

Nothing further to report yet.  I took up archery this year so the layout has taken a bit of a back seat in the last couple of months.  However I will be getting back into it over the winter months as I'm sure there'll be plenty of days when it's too cold to do outdoor pursuits.  I've had the odd day in the big shed just keeping things clean and running trains around but no further work on the scenery.  Must do better!  Anyway thanks for your continued interest - I'll be sure to post up any progress as I get back into it.

Cheers ... Alan

Wow ! Another string to your bow, then, Alan !

Sorry ....sorry...so sorry...

• RMweb Gold

Wow ! Another string to your bow, then, Alan !

Sorry ....sorry...so sorry...

boom tish!

:)

Beware if he offers apples as refreshments now . . .

Have you thought of a name for it yet Alan, I keep missing it with New Layout as a title ;)

Bogenschütze? ;)

• Like 1

boom tish!

Have you thought of a name for it yet Alan, I keep missing it with New Layout as a title ;)

Bogenschütze? ;)

I haven't yet Paul no. Can't change a thread title anyway it would have to be a new thread.

I give it some thought from time to time but still haven't come up with anything appropriate. I've scoured the whole of southern Germany on Google Earth for inpiration but then don't come up with any ideas, I also dither between using a real place name and making up something fictitious and perhaps amusing. At the moment it could be 'Langsam Fahren'. ...

boom tish!

Bogenschütze? ;)

Bogenschutze - archer, bowman, one proficient in the use of bow and arrows - that wouldn't be me .. Lol ..

I haven't yet Paul no. Can't change a thread title anyway it would have to be a new thread.

I give it some thought from time to time but still haven't come up with anything appropriate. I've scoured the whole of southern Germany on Google Earth for inpiration but then don't come up with any ideas, I also dither between using a real place name and making up something fictitious and perhaps amusing. At the moment it could be 'Langsam Fahren'. ...

Good idea to translate something into German - gives the exhibition viewer something to ponder.  Winterschlaf was supposed to be 'hibernation'; only one chap ever mentioned it at an exhibition.  Zeilende is a very rough translation of 'line end/end of line'.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,

I too was highly impressed by your rate of progress and the ambitious scope for your railway.  I've missed if over the last few months.  Please get back to railway modelling and give up on medieval warfare.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Your interest and support is appreciated and encouraging. Just watching the weather forecast on TV right now and it looks like we're in for a cold and unsettled period over Christmas. So, definitely not the weather for archery, which means I'll be getting the shed heating on ready for some modelling.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Morning All,

Finally getting back to work on my (still un-named and German) layout.  I've spent a week or two continuing to built the spiral mountain otherwise called East Spirals.  This is a big structure and is taking a lot of work and materials - ie cardboard, hot glue sticks and plaster.

I've got to a point where the land on the lower levels of the mountain will need to be formed around the track bed which is to be carried on a viaduct into the mountain.  So I need to make a viaduct.  Now, most modellers I'm sure would build the viaduct then lay the track bed and track across it - but not me!  Due to the complexity of the layout I wanted to carry out extensive running trials before building any scenery so all trackwork is already built and some of it has been ballasted.  Therefore, unconventionally perhaps, I'm building the viaduct to fit under the existing trackwork.  I could have cut out the piece of trackbed then built the viaduct and re-laid the trackbed, but I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other now.  Anyway it's in an awkward position.

So, enough rambling on, here's a few photos and notes on the viaduct under construction:

Marking out and cutting the viaduct sides - 2 off.  It's a fairly short and almost straight viaduct so I didn't think it necessary to make an allowance for curves.  Straight viaducts are so much easier than curved and all the geometry that goes with designing curved arches on a curve!  After cutting I clad the sides in Slaters 7mm Random Stone - I like their 7mm Cotswold Stone for viaducts but I didn't have enough, so the random stone will have to do.  (Hmmm.. good reason to visit the Doncaster show next month methinks..)  

post-1570-0-70278100-1485250733_thumb.jpg

For the coping stones I used some strips of balsa wood.  These I marked into individual stones 1cm long by pressing my craft knife in to make indents:

post-1570-0-13722800-1485251289_thumb.jpg

Painted them black:

post-1570-0-42335000-1485251368_thumb.jpg

Dry brushed with light grey:

post-1570-0-76392900-1485251431_thumb.jpg

I find this simple technique of painting using a base of black with a dry brush of lighter shades of grey or white quick, easy and effective enough for most stonework.  You can of course got to town on stonework with varying shades of brown and yellows etc, picking out individual bricks and really making a great job out of it.  But as a solo modeller taking on a big project like this, well, life's (probably) too short!

.. more following ..  

• Like 3

.. following on ..

Here's a couple of photos showing the viaduct more or less finished and in place.  The sides were glued on to the track bed and stuck down to the baseboards underneath using hot glue.  A few adornments added ie arch stones made from plastic sheet, scored, painted and fixed with Bostik. 

post-1570-0-12905200-1485252062_thumb.jpg

Random stone - I spent a little time picking out some stones in different shades - looks alright I reckon:

post-1570-0-34474900-1485252102_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-54149800-1485252139_thumb.jpg

You can see the viaduct is in a fairly tight spot, hemmed in by other structures and of course the mountain which is to the right where the tunnel enters, so not an easy spot to work in.  (Easy - who needs easy?!)  Next I'll be building up the landform around it and enclosing it.  That'll be fun and some care needed especially when slopping wet plaster around!

Also I'll be working on how to make some correct looking brackets to carry the catenary masts along each side of the viaduct - that could be interesting - maybe I could actually buy such a thing - now there's a thought...

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 5