Lima GWR Rail Motor

Bryan3550

Hi, I have just bought a Lima 205133 GWR Rail Motor and found someone has mucked-about with the wiring, disabling it - I now have a black and a white wire, each coming from the unpowered bogie (the white via a globe on the coach ceiling) but don't know which to connect where.

One set of the driving gears is mangled too. Are spares available?

Bryan (downunder)

Hi, I have just bought a Lima 205133 GWR Rail Motor and found someone has mucked-about with the wiring, disabling it - I now have a black and a white wire, each coming from the unpowered bogie (the white via a globe on the coach ceiling) but don't know which to connect where.

One set of the driving gears is mangled too. Are spares available?

Bryan (downunder)

Thanks for the fantastic response guys!

Hi, Bryan:

I notice that this is only your second post, so perhaps you can be forgiven for what appears to be a sarcastic comment on the fact that so far your query only got one reply, although that one was certainly a valid answer to your problem with a mangled gear. I haven't replied earlier because I was at the seaside, (deliberately) disconnected from computers and such. I hope these observations will still be of interest to you.

There should be one wire, probably a black one, from the brass clip on the pivot post of the non-powered bogie to the live terminal of the powered bogie, i.e. the terminal which is not connected to the pickup strip of the powered bogie. This is all that is required to make the railcar run.

The Lima GWR railcars did not have globes on the ceiling, so it sounds as if a previous owner has tried to improve the model by adding interior light(s). It's hard to determine how this was done without a more precise description or a picture, but my guess is that there should be two wires from the light fixture, one connecting to the powered bogie pickup and the other to the non-powered bogie. (If in fact it is a light.)

Incidentally, I fitted my 205133 with wheels from Ultrascale ("Lima 4 axle pack 'A'") and also added more pickups, which I found necessary to obtain reliable running.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the fantastic response guys!

There would be spares available, but possibly the best solution would be to buy a 2nd hand unit from a swapmeet or similar. Make sure it has the same type of power bogie though, as sometimes swapped around - always possible on a non working example.

You say you're 'downunder', but where, as Oz is rather large!

I've helped another new modeller out from outer Melbourne, with a couple of freebies, but since you don't state where you are, such help is harder!

"Incidentally, I fitted my 205133 with wheels from Ultrascale ("Lima 4 axle pack 'A'") and also added more pickups, which I found necessary to obtain reliable running".

Aha! Thank you - yes, there is a tiny globe in a holder on the coach ceiling - I thought it was standard.

Do the wheels detatch readily from the axles? I will have to take one off to get to the mangled, smallest gear which is covered by a wheel... B-)

Archived