Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Section 12 isn't a problem - there's loads of scrub to hide the join.

It was Section 4 i was referring to. Your sketch below has a horizontal join in the rock face / cutting - see finger below...

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_334 Jul. 01 12.55.jpg

I'd go right to the front on this one - a slightly wider board (between section 4 & 8)

I'm still debating if to go for wider boards between sections; 0 & 4, 8 & 12 and 16 & 20 at the front.

• RMweb Premium

No, I'd go right to the front on this one - a slightly wider board (between section 4 & 8)

Have i misread your sketch for Section 4? From the shading you used it looked like you had the hill behind the mainline as a removable lump.

If so my comment was to have the removable section sitting in a socket within the main board as below.

post-6675-0-55959000-1467374851_thumb.jpg

Have i misread your sketch for Section 4? From the shading you used it looked like you had the hill behind the mainline as a removable lump.

If so my comment was to have the removable section sitting in a socket within the main board as below.

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_335 Jul. 01 13.04.jpg

ah!

thought you were talking about in front of the railway - not behind.

The hill behind may be fixed, its just that i'm currently just showing the baseboards. the hill would added later with insulation of some type.

i've adopted the top of the trackbed (through the station) as the nominal top of all the boards, which is the horizontal line you are referring to.

phew

ah!

thought you were talking about in front of the railway - not behind.

The hill behind may be fixed, its just that i'm currently just showing the baseboards. the hill would added later with insulation of some type.

i've adopted the top of the trackbed (through the station) as the nominal top of all the boards, which is the horizontal line you are referring to.

phew

Chris,

I will keep the removable hill idea in mind - depending on what we decide for the trees.

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

I will keep the removable hill idea in mind - depending on what we decide for the trees.

There's a lot of trees. I wouldn't make them individually removable. Would take ages to place and remove. 

• RMweb Gold

That's simple, hinge all the trees at their base so they fold flat for transport.

Then once the boards are set up, pull on a cord and they all stand up...

before allowing Thunderbird 2 to depart ........

• RMweb Gold

Cutting does face viewers Stu - looking from the station building side, down a hill into a valley would be a strange arrangement.

Would be different though.

Board and timber now arrived.

post-8734-0-64700700-1467456177_thumb.jpg

New for this year is the ability to carry wood in my new 'ride'. Previously I would have had to unload DitD out of the trailer and run it in to Newark to pick up materials. Its only taken me ten years to get to this position of convenience.

Onwards and upwards

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No, no, no, that vectra is a 270hp monster still capable of moving layouts...

I only went for the 150hp diesel though.

• RMweb Premium

I've made a start on cutting the wood for the first board.

attachicon.gifIMG_2006.jpg

After all the debate and trails I've settled on a design that takes me back to the construction I used for Treneglos, with one or two improvements and changes.

I hope you're using a dust mask, eye protection, ear defenders, yellow jacket, gloves, steel toe boots and leather pants. Oh and something to stop the saw dust going in your beer.

• Like 2

I hope you're using a dust mask, eye protection, ear defenders, yellow jacket, gloves, steel toe boots and leather pants. Oh and something to stop the saw dust going in your beer.

Yes I've risk assessed all those things.

I've started assembling the first end.

post-8734-0-84961600-1467463850_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-91278600-1467463855_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-26484300-1467463861_thumb.jpg

• Like 2