Buckingham West

Richard Mawer

Just a thought, have you considered using a Brassmasters Cleminson 6 wheel chassis kit below the Siphons ?

Ironically I'm just about to use one and see if there is any improvement.

Hi BG

No I haven't. I was starting to wonder what I needed to do, but just getting the bearings far enough into the plastic has done the trick. They run quite nicely now.

Kind regards

Rich

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

VISITORS

Another operating session last night. This time with two friends from the High Wycombe club: Graham and Paul.

post-15300-0-93704600-1480660913_thumb.jpg

This was their first time, but they picked it up well. Because they were getting to grips with the controls I didn't run the clock. On reflection I think that made it harder. It was too easy to get out of step. But a good time was had by all. You are welcome back anytime guys.

• Like 6

VISITORS

Another operating session last night. This time with two friends from the High Wycombe club: Graham and Paul.

attachicon.gifIMG_1062.JPG

This was their first time, but they picked it up well. Because they were getting to grips with the controls I didn't run the clock. On reflection I think that made it harder. It was too easy to get out of step. But a good time was had by all. You are welcome back anytime guys.

A fun evening, Rich - thanks for the invitation. Yes - very easy to get out of step, however as it was our first meeting with BW, getting to partly understand the operation of the layout took a little time and the thought of trying to keep up with your timetable at this early stage was somewhat daunting!!

Still - I'm sure that this introduction will stand us in good stead for the next attempt to keep things moving.

Looking forward to the next visit.

A fun evening, Rich - thanks for the invitation. Yes - very easy to get out of step, however as it was our first meeting with BW, getting to partly understand the operation of the layout took a little time and the thought of trying to keep up with your timetable at this early stage was somewhat daunting!!

Still - I'm sure that this introduction will stand us in good stead for the next attempt to keep things moving.

Looking forward to the next visit.

You both did really well, especially as Newbies. I made as many mistakes as anyone and I designed the xxxx thing! I do think the clock makes it easier once you have got the basics. It normally gets stopped quite often, but we will all get more proficient. That's the fun.

• Like 1

THE BELLS...... THE BELLS!

The block bells are now fitted and working. Only two were for last evening's session.

Over the years I collected 6 different sounding bells.

post-15300-0-15394500-1480721423_thumb.jpg

I bought some sprung solenoids from Ebay and as have been seen before some morse tappers from the same site. The tappers are mounted on the panels.

The challenge has been to mount the bells and solenoids. As with many of my solutions, its a bit Heath Robinson, but they work. The bells are screwed and bolted to legs (the door bells have fixings!), but the largest dome had to be stood on a shelf with 3 screws around the base to prevent movement. The solenoids are mounted on blocks of various sizes. After trial and error to get the right angle and distance for each bell, they were stuck in place with "no nails" double sided sticky pads (as I use for servo mounting).

post-15300-0-06316000-1480721842_thumb.jpg

Two bells behind Evenley panel.

post-15300-0-10303800-1480721883_thumb.jpg

This small high pitched "church" bell is from Brackley Road.

post-15300-0-66660600-1480721938_thumb.jpg

This cowbell is from Charlton Junction.

post-15300-0-79448200-1480722016_thumb.jpg

This large dome at Brackley Road is shelf mounted. The solenoid was not connected at this stage.

I had one further communication issue. I needed Banbury to be able to get Evenley or Buckingham to turn on their controller to drive up trains out of Banbury and around the Charlton continuous run, before the train is offered to Evenley by bells. I have decided to use small buzzers. Banbury triggers a buzzer at either Buckingham or Evenley, depending upon the destination. The destination cancels the buzzer and turns their controller up. Banbury then directs the train out onto Charlton, until such timethat they bell the train up to Evenley and maybe beyond. Fitting the buzzers (from Maplin) is tomorrow's job.

The bells and the buzzers are powered by an old H and M Duette. This allows me to get the optimum power from both types of circuit.

So next weeks operators will be trialling bells and buzzers as well as the fast clock.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

THE BELLS...... THE BELLS!

The block bells are now fitted and working. Only two were for last evening's session.

Over the years I collected 6 different sounding bells.

attachicon.gifIMG_1058.JPG

I bought some sprung solenoids from Ebay and as have been seen before some morse tappers from the same site. The tappers are mounted on the panels.

The challenge has been to mount the bells and solenoids. As with many of my solutions, its a bit Heath Robinson, but they work. The bells are screwed and bolted to legs (the door bells have fixings!), but the largest dome had to be stood on a shelf with 3 screws around the base to prevent movement. The solenoids are mounted on blocks of various sizes. After trial and error to get the right angle and distance for each bell, they were stuck in place with "no nails" double sided sticky pads (as I use for servo mounting).

attachicon.gifIMG_1059.JPG

Two bells behind Evenley panel.

attachicon.gifIMG_1057.JPG

This small high pitched "church" bell is from Brackley Road.

attachicon.gifIMG_1060.JPG

This cowbell is from Charlton Junction.

attachicon.gifIMG_1052.JPG

This large dome at Brackley Road is shelf mounted. The solenoid was not connected at this stage.

I had one further communication issue. I needed Banbury to be able to get Evenley or Buckingham to turn on their controller to drive up trains out of Banbury and around the Charlton continuous run, before the train is offered to Evenley by bells. I have decided to use small buzzers. Banbury triggers a buzzer at either Buckingham or Evenley, depending upon the destination. The destination cancels the buzzer and turns their controller up. Banbury then directs the train out onto Charlton, until such timethat they bell the train up to Evenley and maybe beyond. Fitting the buzzers (from Maplin) is tomorrow's job.

The bells and the buzzers are powered by an old H and M Duette. This allows me to get the optimum power from both types of circuit.

So next weeks operators will be trialling bells and buzzers as well as the fast clock.

Good luck with that Richard! I think they will drive you nuts before long. You might like to try dulling the sound by putting a bit of plasticine or similar on the bells.

I still think they will drive you nuts though!

• Like 1

Having spent an evening there with my only 2x bells, the thought of this many, AND BUZZERS(!), is already driving me nuts!!

Are you deliberately trying to lose SWMBO & the girls, Rich?

Having spent an evening there with my only 2x bells, the thought of this many, AND BUZZERS(!), is already driving me nuts!!

Are you deliberately trying to lose SWMBO & the girls, Rich?

Strange you should say that. I have had the house to myself this weekend

Anyway, the buzzers are in. Now, they really are irritating - but thats the point: to make you turn the controller on and not delay the Banbury operator.

Remember that apart from Peter Denny's Buckingham (which has bells AND block instruments) my other great inspiration is The Gainsborough Model Railway, which is operated by many panels all linked by block bells. So I have waited most of my life to have this cacophony!

• Like 3

Update on the milk vans/6 wheeled low siphons.

When I said they were running quite freely (top of this page), they were. But it turns out only on normal track. As Paul and Graham found out, they didn't like points. Eagle-eyed Graham spotted that the dropper part of the coupling caught the switch blades. So those are now shorter!

But whilst one was happy, the other certainly wasn't. Eventually I discovered that the lump of lead the builder had stuck under the chassis base plate, was fouling the central wheels, just when they needed a bit of side play. With that trimmed away and more lead applied to both, they are useful again.

There's always something!

• Like 2

DUCKS TO WATER

I had a great evening with two friends I met at HWDMRS and members of MERG: Mark and Daniel. They took to the layout like ducks to water and we got through 5 hours of Buckingham time, which I think is a record for an evening session. It was more impressive considering I had to refix a servo and we finished Wednesday and started Thursday, which involved messing around with wagon loads. Well done chaps.

That was the first time using the bells and buzzers. For me, it was great. A bit confusing at times, but as sucessful as I could expect. I think its easier to keep up with the timetable that way.

Considering it has been every team's first time and we are only going theough the timetable for the second day, its good.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks Rich, it was a really good evening. You should be congratulated on brining the concept to life. Seeing Buckingham West "in the flesh" it is more impressive than it appears in these posts. The operation is really very cleaver and well thought out, If only you had operators worthy of it  :scratchhead:

I have to admit I found the bells on Evenley slightly confusing, probably because I'm either starting to get hard at hearing or maybe I was concentrating on something else and not paying enough attention to realise which bell it was that had just rung. I was thinking about an electronic solution, you know me, which could have a light next to the bell push that would illuminate if you had a unanswered bell call. Maybe I'll get back to you on that one.

Thank you once again for the invitation, the evening was really enjoyable and seemed to go by in the blink of an eye.

Mark (and Daniel)

• RMweb Gold

Remember that apart from Peter Denny's Buckingham (which has bells AND block instruments) my other great inspiration is The Gainsborough Model Railway, which is operated by many panels all linked by block bells. So I have waited most of my life to have this cacophony!

Just catching up on the thread.

I've long been an admire of Gainsborough richard, keep thinking about joining them as I'm only 30ish mins away. Did you see the video footage from last weekend's open day on my thread? Bells galore!!

DUCKS TO WATER

I had a great evening with two friends I met at HWDMRS and members of MERG: Mark and Daniel. They took to the layout like ducks to water and we got through 5 hours of Buckingham time, which I think is a record for an evening session. It was more impressive considering I had to refix a servo and we finished Wednesday and started Thursday, which involved messing around with wagon loads. Well done chaps.

That was the first time using the bells and buzzers. For me, it was great. A bit confusing at times, but as sucessful as I could expect. I think its easier to keep up with the timetable that way.

Considering it has been every team's first time and we are only going theough the timetable for the second day, its good.

Thanks

Really please to hear you've got things running and the bells working. Really does change the operational interest I find. I'm making progress at my end slowly, thing I've now sorted out the electronics for the DCC computer to work the bells on Arksey for the adjacent boxes! All good fun this modelling lark! Now if only we didn't have to work!!

Enjoying following your progress. Interesting use of various types of bells and the means of ringing hem.

Rich

Just catching up on the thread.

I've long been an admire of Gainsborough richard, keep thinking about joining them as I'm only 30ish mins away. Did you see the video footage from last weekend's open day on my thread? Bells galore!!

That's a brill video. Captures it as well as video can. Love the sound track!

I can remember it before it was remodelled. It had two continuous runs built in, Kings Cross was even more complicated and there was even a Morgate line running round the public walk way. Its still brilliant. My Dad took me every year for years because my Grandmother lived just outside Gainsborough: a few doors down from Roy Jackson. Obviously a modelling hot spot!

Yes Rich, you should join!!!!

Edited by Richard Mawer

I'm making progress at my end slowly, thing I've now sorted out the electronics for the DCC computer to work the bells on Arksey for the adjacent boxes! All good fun this modelling lark! Now if only we didn't have to work!!

Enjoying following your progress. Interesting use of various types of bells and the means of ringing hem.

Rich

Sounds like you are makng good progress too. Good stuff.

Thanks Rich, it was a really good evening. You should be congratulated on brining the concept to life. Seeing Buckingham West "in the flesh" it is more impressive than it appears in these posts. The operation is really very cleaver and well thought out, If only you had operators worthy of it  :scratchhead:

I have to admit I found the bells on Evenley slightly confusing, probably because I'm either starting to get hard at hearing or maybe I was concentrating on something else and not paying enough attention to realise which bell it was that had just rung. I was thinking about an electronic solution, you know me, which could have a light next to the bell push that would illuminate if you had a unanswered bell call. Maybe I'll get back to you on that one.

Thank you once again for the invitation, the evening was really enjoyable and seemed to go by in the blink of an eye.

Mark (and Daniel)

Thanks Mark. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Shame about having to go to work the next day.

I've ironed out the few glitches on the timetable and the loco roster.

Some sort of light by the tapper would be good. It could light when the bell has sounded and extinguish when you tap. Over to you on that one!!!!! Alternatively, I could get bells that are even more different in sound!

I'm looking forward to the next session.

THE MATRIX - PART 1

In Buckingham West MK1 (in the loft of the old house) construction only got as far as the continuous runs, the storage loops (then only 6) and the dumbbell. Evenley was built but never installed. One thing I did do was build the diode matrix for the storage loops. And it worked.

post-15300-0-64954400-1481412209_thumb.jpg

It was very 'ham' and relied on individual push buttons for each loop. These were of the SLB variety. Which in the parlance of my fellow club members was "sh**y little buttons". I was told the contacts would wear quickly through arcing.

So far on MK2, I have put off the task. Mainly because there was more urgent stuff, but also because there are now 10 loops, so 20 routes and 36 solenoid wires (18 points) and returns. But the time has come.

The points ladders into and out of the loops are arranged so there are no more than 4 points to each route. The points are operated by surface mounted Peco solenoid point motors and I have a rather large CDU from All Components. It used to throw 4 ok, but now I have added micro switches for the live frogs. Fingers crossed.

post-15300-0-14465700-1481412471_thumb.jpg

I have been toying with how to make the matrix. I needed to improve the design from before. I thought of a lattice of copper clad sleeper strips, but ended up with a piece of copper clad board about 4" square into which I sawed lines with a razor saw to create 20 sections for the route selections. I have then superglued 8 copperclad sleeper strips accross the top. The strips are again sawed to creat the necessary sections for the feeds to each solenoid coil.

post-15300-0-18539000-1481412887_thumb.jpg

There will be wires soldered to each section of the plate and strips taken to choc blocks around the edges. I will mount it all on the old matrix back board and fixit to a leg or cross member under the Banbury board.

So far I have only soldered the diodes and wire links for the incoming end of the loops. The other end needs to be done on the bottom half. I am using quite meaty diodes - IN5401 - which may well mean something to some folks (especially my fellow MERG members). I don't know if that is necessary or overkill. I assume the CDU sends a huge current so opted for safety in size. However, I don't have quite sufficient, so will have to use some smaller ones I have, on about 6 links. I'll soon find out if they need upgrading!

post-15300-0-21158500-1481413221_thumb.jpg

The route selection will not use SLBs this time, but as will be seen in post #43, there are dials to select the route and then a heavy duty push button to fire the CDU. The dials also select power supply to the requisite road/loop so there should not be any trains setting off with the wrong road set. This is important because the loops will be under some rolling countryside.

Edited by Richard Mawer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OMG looks like i need a lesson in advance electronics, just to follow this! Thankfully Dad is coming round today to translate - he used to be an Instrument electrician for British Airways - Maybe the sophistication of a Jumbo jet is similar to Buckingham West LOL :-)

OMG looks like i need a lesson in advance electronics, just to follow this! Thankfully Dad is coming round today to translate - he used to be an Instrument electrician for British Airways - Maybe the sophistication of a Jumbo jet is similar to Buckingham West LOL :-)

Neal, its all simple. It has to be for me to do it!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At Grandborough Junction on the original Buckingham, the same problem with the bells cropped up and they were fitted with a diode linked to a capacitor. Whenever anybody rang a bell there, the diode on the appropriate block instrument stayed lit for several seconds as the capacitor discharged. I have the circuit board with all the components on it but haven't got it going yet as it is part of the "birds nest" of wiring under the layout and I haven't worked out how to connect it up. We still only have one bell and block instrument working there, so it isn't a problem (yet!).

I like the bells! They look good.

Cheers,

Tony 

At Grandborough Junction on the original Buckingham, the same problem with the bells cropped up and they were fitted with a diode linked to a capacitor. Whenever anybody rang a bell there, the diode on the appropriate block instrument stayed lit for several seconds as the capacitor discharged. I have the circuit board with all the components on it but haven't got it going yet as it is part of the "birds nest" of wiring under the layout and I haven't worked out how to connect it up. We still only have one bell and block instrument working there, so it isn't a problem (yet!).

I like the bells! They look good.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Tony.

I was thinking along the lines of a solenoid or relay that either physically moved an indicator (vety 1930's), or lit an LED when a bell was rung at Evenley and then cancelled out when the Evenley tapper was operated. The problem is that Evenely would send Train out of section which would be repeated by the sender. So the indicator would be left on.

Mark hoas been thinking along similar lines but doing it electronically, not by a solenoid. It has the same problem with the last two codes.

I like yours/Peter's idea using a capacitor discharge arrangement. The indicator self-extinguishes. Typical of Peter to have found a way. I'd be very interested to see the diagram.

Cheers

Edited by Richard Mawer
  • Like 1

THE MATRIX - PART 2

Another night in front of the telly, soldering.

The departure end of the matrix is now complete. I ran out of larger diodes. I hope the smaller ones are man enough.

It now needs mounting on the old board I have dismantled, the choc blocks fixing and the wires run between each choc and each section of the copper.

Once fixed on the layout its just the mamouth task of wiring the 36 point motor coils and 20 route wires in the correct ways.

post-15300-0-85844600-1481495866_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The problem is that Evenely would send Train out of section which would be repeated by the sender. So the indicator would be left on.

At the beginning of this thread I think you said you are Buckingham GW rather than GC? If so, your problem is solved - GWR and BR(W) didn't reply to the 2-1 TOS bell code. However, I would still recommend the capacitor and LED. I think it's as simple as a diode off the bell feed onto a capacitor with the LED (and dropper resistor) fed off that. Try it and see, it's all down to component values for length of delay. This simple circuit gives a fading LED, if you want a 'snap' off, you will need a more complicated circuit.

Paul.

At the beginning of this thread I think you said you are Buckingham GW rather than GC? If so, your problem is solved - GWR and BR(W) didn't reply to the 2-1 TOS bell code. However, I would still recommend the capacitor and LED. I think it's as simple as a diode off the bell feed onto a capacitor with the LED (and dropper resistor) fed off that. Try it and see, it's all down to component values for length of delay. This simple circuit gives a fading LED, if you want a 'snap' off, you will need a more complicated circuit.

Paul.

Paul,

Thanks for your input. My layout is indeed GWR, 1930s. You learn something every day! I didn't know the TOS was not repeated. That makes life a little easier anyway.

Thanks also for the advice on the cap and LED. I am sure a fading one would be fine.

Cheers

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Presumably you could arrange the circuit so that when the responding tapper is used you'll put a low resistance across the capacitor which would drain the capacitor pronto and extinguish the LED. That means that you could probably have a very high value capacitor to give you a long LED lit time without worrying that the LED will still be lit long after the bell signals have been exchanged for a following train movement.

And on that very note - excuse the pun - looking at things from the other direction so to speak, the LED would be lit when exchanges were the other way round. Could this be confusing?