GWR Herring ballast hoppers (Dia.P22)

Tove

Hi Guy`s,

I`m after a bit of help?.

I`m planning a future layout based on Coleford (GWR side) in the Forest of Dean,and as such i need a small rake of ballast hoppers.

And so with this in mind i`ve been looking for the GWR herring type of ballast hopper, (Dia.P22) but as of yet i have not found a kit in 7mm.

Does one exist?,and can anyone point me in the right direction.

It would be nice if one is made, and even better if i could pick some up at Telford next Sunday!.

Ta very much.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I thought that WEP models might of been able to help, but the only one they do is theP14 Ballast/Spoil wagon.

Maybe enquire with Scorpio models, they do a few GWR types, but they don't have a website that I know of.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Thanks,i`ve tried the WEP web page and done an interweb search to no avail,apart from a 4mm one from Cambrian.  

But i`ll shall drop Scorpio a line,as you suggest.

I was`nt sure though if they did more than their advert has in the Gazette,but then i suppose they can`t show everything! .

Ta,

Brian.

Hi Guy`s,

As of yet i`ve had no response to my e-mail regard`s Scorpio models,so i`ll have to catch them at Telford Sunday.Plus i`ll do some general asking around as well.

If i find a kit or any lead`s,i`ll post them here.

Ta,

Brian.

I've got a 2012 Model Express product list and they have a Herring/Mackeral ballast hopper listed, one piece resin body with white metal and plastic fittings, I've no idea what there like or which of the 2 it represents best but as the Model Express range has just got a new owner, who posts on here, it may be worth an ask.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info,but i suspect that the Model Express offering is for the BR designed Herring/Mackeral ballast hopper.

Such as these;

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brrivetherring

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmackerelzmv

And these are the GWR designed,but BR built ballast hoppers;

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brherring

Unlike the two listed at the top ,the GWR designed (central only) hopper door`s were operated from ground level whilst the operator was alongside the wagon.

Cheer`s,

Brian.

Well it seem`s that my quest for the Herring is dead in the water!!.

I had a lengthy chat with Scorpio models today at Telford.And the out come was that they have never made one, and if it was produced it would be very expensive on account of the amount of materials need.

But he did think that somebody had or has made the earlier riveted version,which i think was either a P6 or P7?.

And like wise Warren Sheppard has `nt made one or about too either.

So i think the only option now is to find a suitable underframe, and scratch build the hopper!.

Brian.

Archived