Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

Rob - why don't you think about a track layout that is flexible and can be multi era with the change of structures.  When operating PMPs Albion Yard for the first time I was surprised how it was a plain chassis with all buildings and even trees "plonk and play".

https://albionyard.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/img_8878.jpg?w=640&h=625

I was also impressed with the track layout with 2 run-round loops, especially the geometry created by using Y-Points.

https://albionyard.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/img_7790.jpg

As a sectorisation modeller I find Ringburn Yard vey pleasing (pun intended!)

http://www.staffordforum.com/xf/index.php?threads/sat-2-feb-2013-stafford-railway-circle-exhibition-stafford-showground.10969/

Hope to catch up soon - perhaps at the Kemble Café ?

Melly

Nice stuff - I'm hoping next one will be more than a plank size for once if it comes off

Looking good Rob! Completely agree on the brass pickups, makes such an improvement! I've had similar experience with Testers, most disappointing, reluctantly have gone back to Railmatch aerosol varnishes, they used to block regularly (despite following procedures) - had some bad luck recently with Humbrol aerosol varnishes giving a patchy finish!

For the exhausts, one tip I read about and use these days is adding just a smidgen of oily blue to the exhaust weathering, well worth a bit of experimenting!

Have you got any more classic 90s locos following these?

Good advice ! There's lots I'd like to do, but I'm trying to limit to ones I saw - although that rules out all the 37s !

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after months and months of just playing trains and staring into space I'm starting to actually build again.

The siding will become a fuel point, it's set up so I can extend it onto the fiddle yard side if the mojo stays and I decide to build a shed. It's all fairly logical as I like messing around with RTR diesels so this gives somewhere for them to sit and look nice.

I've laid the siding to the board edge and wired it up. The border apron was sprayed in Halfords primer and then that suede plasticoat - I've gotta say the fans are right it is quite a good new concrete colour.

I will then build up between the rails with thinner card to get an area where fuel can be spilled.

Not very exciting but here it is

post-450-0-87123300-1494879207_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Bit more progress.

Starting to add concrete surround, using three pieces between tracks to give that oil drain off cut out type thing.

post-450-0-03301600-1495028350_thumb.jpg

Have extended onto second board to use this inspection pit I've had for years.

Looks a bit messy, the grey filler iswhere point pushrods go, so that I can put a back scene behind depot and still work them. This meant I had to reduce the pit length a tad. I'm probably goi g to extend it through the shed as well so I have space for another loco. Not quite like didcot !

post-450-0-00698100-1495028501_thumb.jpg

That's it till at least Monday as works calls !

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Got the mojo back again briefly.

Continue with the fuelling point and new backdrop to extend it

post-450-0-58930000-1496074328_thumb.jpg

Also installed a new DCC programming track

post-450-0-01119300-1496074395_thumb.jpg

37116&418 are now operating in multiple,using the above

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile. I'm still at it sporadically but I'm mainly concentrating on improvements to rolling stock.

I'm slowly filling all my wagons with resin loads from " make your mark models "

I also actually won something on eBay - a loadhaul 60. I've been after one for ages.attachicon.gifIMG_6522.JPG

This one was actually surprising as it was weathered already and had a decoder in it. Which wasn't mentioned on the description, but the weathering is nice so that's fine.

attachicon.gifIMG_8856.jpg

I now have all the " modern image " locos I ever invisaged for planks - 7x 37, 1x47, 1x56,2x 60 and a red death as well !

One thing I have been experimenting with is a mix of black pastel and paint on roofs.

It didn't really have the desired effect of exhaust but could be useful as a weathered metal effect maybe

attachicon.gifIMG_8860.jpg

My chair decided to dump all the air out of the strut, thus I now sit at eye height to the plank. One thing I immediately noticed is how much I hate seeing the brass pickups on bogies through the sideframes so I've been painting those black.

attachicon.gifIMG_8862.jpg

This is the loco shelf

attachicon.gifIMG_8865.jpg

Sister Dora in to finally try and gets the lights working - although it appears that's a chassis problem. I was also looking at t cutting the testers dull coat off and doing it in satin instead but that would be a big job.

Dunno why people rave about testers - it's very flat but very patchy with a dodgy patina I find.

37516 - behind still in progress.

47078 - BR blue fleet is getting some work and weathering too.

Layout wise - no progress . I've absolutely no mojo for building buildings at present.

I'm not sure whether to change the plank or go straight to a new idea

For modern I have in my head - either Cornish , West Midlands or a better take on Home Counties. For BR blue I like the idea of somewhere west like tenby ( but unless I can run full length passenger , blue era loses some of its appeal )

That's it for now ..attachicon.gifIMG_8861.jpg

Excellent stuff as always.

Who is the supplier of the flush nosed 37's ends?

Hi Rob,

Youve been really busy!

The pits and hardstanding look good.

I dropped a 47 that I'd modified off my fiddle yard a few weeks back. Luckily (haha) it fell on the roof, so I only need a new bodyshell.

So I feel your pain!

Trev :)

Hi Rob,

Youve been really busy!

The pits and hardstanding look good.

I dropped a 47 that I'd modified off my fiddle yard a few weeks back. Luckily (haha) it fell on the roof, so I only need a new bodyshell.

So I feel your pain!

Trev :)

Thanks Trev,

Yes it's an expensive pain when that happens - I have a new baseplate from Bachmann for £14, but I'll need to find the time to strip the existing one and refer it all. It's not at top of the pile as BR blue isn't top of the agenda just now.

I've been experimenting with Halfords orange paint to get my loadhaul 37 sprayed, but I need some white primer, doesn't work over grey too well !

Bit of ballasting today

post-450-0-33256600-1496671195_thumb.jpg

Hard standing wasn't right , so replaced with 1.5mm plastic card . It's currently sticking . I in no way endorse this product except to say Maximum taste , no sugar dude

post-450-0-72505400-1496671380_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Giving the pit an edge of ' don't fall in ' red

post-450-0-50718600-1496863178_thumb.jpg

Red prayed my Lima 37 test body in white primer as grey is no good for orange they say post-450-0-19179000-1496863256_thumb.jpg

Then sprayed in Halfords ' warehouse orange ' that looked a dead ringer for load haul on the can

post-450-0-98323200-1496863344_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the flesh it's not even close !

First visitor to fledgling fuel point was 66209 for a look sey post-450-0-59645700-1496863416_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good Rob, particularly liking 37274 - there was something about the Mainline Blue livery that made it very attractive. Once I can hold of a pair of split box nose ends I am intending to model 37065 in Mainline Blue (this was a bit of a pet loco of mine as it was unusual having split boxes one end and a flush front the other).

Then sprayed in Halfords ' warehouse orange ' that looked a dead ringer for load haul on the can

I tend to use Strathclyde Orange for my load haul locos as this appears to be a relatively good match, unfortunately I don't think Railmatch do an aerosol so its an airbrush or nothing.

Looking good Rob, particularly liking 37274 - there was something about the Mainline Blue livery that made it very attractive. Once I can hold of a pair of split box nose ends I am intending to model 37065 in Mainline Blue (this was a bit of a pet loco of mine as it was unusual having split boxes one end and a flush front the other).

I tend to use Strathclyde Orange for my load haul locos as this appears to be a relatively good match, unfortunately I don't think Railmatch do an aerosol so its an airbrush or nothing.

Thanks Jon,

Yes I agree that mainline was a great colour scheme. I'd like to do 065 to, but split code ends are quite hard to come by and attract a premium if you can find them. I remember a very strange freight about 2000, when it ran from Fawley to aylesbury with fuel oil tanks as there was a strike on. 248 was a good one as well.

Howes were temporarily out of Strathclyde orange, which I why I was looking for a replacement, and also being. Lazy as I have an airbrush but haven't got it out it's packaging yet in over a year !

I think we are both lucky to remember this period , I was a tad older than you though I think !

• 1 month later...

Well,the yard still exists but very little has been happening over the summer.

I now have three EWS 66s and have put the air dams and pipes ( not the over knobbly Bachmann ) ones on two of them.

I continue the Guinness world record attempt for " longest time building a kit " for the Genesis warflat which makes sporadic progress.

Been away a lot with work abroad and when I'm not , I'm out on my cube mountain bike as I'm trying to cycle the ridgeway amongst other things.

Here's one of the sheds..

post-450-0-57123900-1501952985_thumb.jpg

That's arrived with the coal filled MEAs in the background.

I'm also starting to think of the next layout .

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings from the yard. I'm still here....

I'm concentrating at present on acquiring and upgrading stock for the West Country theme which will be the next plank.

I would really like to run the moorswater cement train as it was in the late 90s. To this end I have 4 Hornby PCAs, and 2 Bachmann ones on order at track shack.

I've replaced the inner couplings with smaller Bachmann tension locks and they run as close together as I can get and still go through the peco points in the yard. I've also painted the Oleos silver. They need some more general weathering now.

post-450-0-90303600-1504608130_thumb.jpg

I also have 2 Heljan cargowaggons, so far I've only painted the bogies on one. I'm not sure how to achieve the all over pooey brown they seemed to take on.

I've also managed to acquire for a good price from a fellow RMweb member 2 of the distinctive yellow blue circle ones used on this flow.

post-450-0-97301500-1504608270_thumb.jpg

Here's the yard having a Cornish day as seen from a drone ( in 1996 ??!!)

post-450-0-24922700-1504608342_thumb.jpg

The planning of the next one continues. I need to work out first if it'll be another 10' plank or whether I can utilise more space in the box room to bend it into a U shape or an L shape. I have to retain some sort of bed in there though.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Rob!

For the poo brown Cargowaggons, I'd start by painting them in the poo brown! I did some VGAs in a similar colour, it can be best described as starting with a layer of light poo, then when dry, adding layers of darker poo, rubbing off each time - you should gradually get some good streaks and variances in the poo browns!

Cheers,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Experimenting with making Hornby CDAs look more lifelike.

This is the test piece which is the more basic older style wagon. Massive tension locks cut off to be replaced, a squirt of Halfords white primer and some ground up pastel so far.

post-450-0-47763800-1505417933_thumb.jpg

The weathered newer style Hornby version behind for comparison .

• Like 10

So continuing the theme,

I got one of the newer CDAs out today to start on.

I thought the ECC logo showing through was a mistake on the first, as these appear to actually have been removed. So I thought I'd get rid of it first.

Usual TCut didn't touch it, nor did thinners, it took a lot of elbow grease with IPA ( not the booze ) to shift it and going down to the primer in the process.

post-450-0-71954200-1505503013_thumb.jpg

Then a couple of sprays to start the whitening up. Then ran out of time....

post-450-0-00727000-1505503084_thumb.jpg

Moorswater cement empties paid a visit . You can see my two new Bachmann PCAS which will need some dirt as well. All in good time....

post-450-0-43724500-1505503216_thumb.jpg

• Like 10