Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

An intruder !!

post-450-0-40525000-1473431197.jpg

The 56 is finally up and running.

It's taken extensive running in and lubrication/ fault finding.

The new 8 pin chip didn't fit too well with insufficient clearance from the roof so had to open up 37683 and swap.

It now runs fine and the lights all work

It has limited application to this plank - I may run it on the enterprise from Newport ADJ or if I get some more MEAs a coal service. It'll be good for the next plank though, as that'll be west mids based.

Thoughts are turning to the next plank, I started this thread a year ago today and j won't let the grass grow under my feet !

• Like 8

Thoughts are turning to the next plank...

Got a track plan in mind, Rob?

"Planks" are manageable and in my case, stand half a chance of getting finished. I just knocked up a couple of 4ft x 1ft boards and bought three Tillig points.

Interested to see how you get on.

• Like 1

Got a track plan in mind, Rob?

"Planks" are manageable and in my case, stand half a chance of getting finished. I just knocked up a couple of 4ft x 1ft boards and bought three Tillig points.

Interested to see how you get on.

Hi Pete,

I've got an idea in mind, I'm going to make it 15 feet long which means the fiddle yard will extend out my box room.....

Peco code 75 or maybe tillig.

I'm launching myself into the unknown as I've always used insulfrog and code 100 so this will be a departure

• Like 2

I've got an idea in mind, I'm going to make it 15 feet long which means the fiddle yard will extend out my box room.....

Peco code 75 or maybe tillig.

I'm launching myself into the unknown as I've always used insulfrog and code 100 so this will be a departure

Good luck with this Rob. Peco Code 75 is reliable and looks good and is always a safe bet. You may need to be brave with Tillig. It does look great, but having worked with it before, it can be fragile (broken tie bars with no possible way of reattaching the rails). Once laid, it's fine though. Consider using Exactoscale concrete sleeper bases from C&L. They do look terrific. The sleeper spacing is much wider than with the points, but you can cut the webs on the sleepers and narrow them up a little where they meet the points. Then, to my eye at least, everything blends together well.

Bottom line, use whatever you want, and I can't be the only one to look forward to seeing what you do.

• Like 2

I always used Code 100 and was often asked at Shows if it was Fine Scale, mainly due to good Rail Painting and Ballasting. Then on Bitton I moved on to SMP Fine Scale and Hand Built Points. Next on Pencarne Junction / Pencarne, West Shed and Porth Merryn I went to Peco Code 75. Now back to today, and North Road, and I'm back to Peco Code 100 for a big Roundy Roundy, all were good and in their own right on different types of Layouts.

Good luck with whatever you do, and whatever Track you decide to use.

• Like 1

New plan sounds interesting Rob, all Freight I presume?

Possibly not actually !

I'm taking inspiration from some videos I saw of the round oak branch in the late 90s, so I was thinking about a few dmus as well.

I found the combination of traditional decaying infrastructure very enticing. And I like the steel trains running through strourbridge to go on up the branch.

I also find with a plank, if I can see all the stock it's not as interesting, so on this one I'm devising a kind of hidden branch line as well.

It's early days though - my next priority is to try my hand at weathering all the stock with my airbrush and by hand. I may even hold off and change this plank a bit first.

• Like 3

My Deesdale Road started off as a 4ft 6 inch Plank as a Small Modern Birmingham Terminus, and ended up as a Through Station with Distribution Shed, Engineers Sidings and a Fuelling Depot. it's now 22ft and still doing the rounds.

The possibilities are endless.

• Like 1

My Deesdale Road started off as a 4ft 6 inch Plank as a Small Modern Birmingham Terminus, and ended up as a Through Station with Distribution Shed, Engineers Sidings and a Fuelling Depot. it's now 22ft and still doing the rounds.

The possibilities are endless.

All it takes in this hobby is a little imagination !

• Like 1

Possibly not actually !

I'm taking inspiration from some videos I saw of the round oak branch in the late 90s, so I was thinking about a few dmus as well.

I found the combination of traditional decaying infrastructure very enticing. And I like the steel trains running through strourbridge to go on up the branch.

I also find with a plank, if I can see all the stock it's not as interesting, so on this one I'm devising a kind of hidden branch line as well.

It's early days though - my next priority is to try my hand at weathering all the stock with my airbrush and by hand. I may even hold off and change this plank a bit first.

Rob. . . . .it's been an area attracting my interest recently. . . .  . .bookmarked this :  https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/albums/72157636877739706

• Like 1

Alright, this is kinda the back of a fag packet idea for the next one.

I like trains to run through really and it's a bit hard in 15',

Hence the branchline and hidden run back to fiddle yard idea - it's not mine I nicked it off the chap that did that small junction in N Wales in blue times ( think it was a Ken gibbons layout)post-450-0-73106100-1473454192_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

An intruder !!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The 56 is finally up and running.

It's taken extensive running in and lubrication/ fault finding.

The new 8 pin chip didn't fit too well with insufficient clearance from the roof so had to open up 37683 and swap.

It now runs fine and the lights all work

It has limited application to this plank - I may run it on the enterprise from Newport ADJ or if I get some more MEAs a coal service. It'll be good for the next plank though, as that'll be west mids based.

Thoughts are turning to the next plank, I started this thread a year ago today and j won't let the grass grow under my feet !

Im jealous of that looks the nuts

Im jealous of that looks the nuts

£76 off eBay !

56s don't seem in high demand really.There has been a lot of talk about the problems , but thanks to the help on here I got mine going fine . Hornby locos seem smoother in operation than Bachmann, but I'm more fearful for their slightly too flimsy detail

• RMweb Premium

£76 off eBay !

It's sad that that's a bargain these days! A few short years back I'd take great pleasure picking up a '56' for £56 and a '60' for £60!

Looking good though Rob, any plans for renumbering? I like some of the namers in EWS with big manly plates 'Wolverhampton Steel Terminal' and 'Eggborough Power Station' would be on my hit-list!

• Like 1

It's sad that that's a bargain these days! A few short years back I'd take great pleasure picking up a '56' for £56 and a '60' for £60!

Looking good though Rob, any plans for renumbering? I like some of the namers in EWS with big manly plates 'Wolverhampton Steel Terminal' and 'Eggborough Power Station' would be on my hit-list!

True , prices have moved on a tad !

I was also thinking " Wolverhampton steel terminal ", what a beautifully , dull, depressing industrial name. I haven't tried to renumber much Hornby - the mainline 60 I attacked with t cut wasn't a great success though.

But I really must get into weathering this lot soon !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

True , prices have moved on a tad !

I was also thinking " Wolverhampton steel terminal ", what a beautifully , dull, depressing industrial name. I haven't tried to renumber much Hornby - the mainline 60 I attacked with t cut wasn't a great success though.

But I really must get into weathering this lot soon !

The Wolverhampton one would go perfectly with your layout plan!

There's something quite cool about the dull corporate names and some of them are just so '90s!

I'd try some Humbrol enamel thinners as a starting point and then curved-blade scalpel to finish off, if you do get any surface damage its normally easily disguised by a final layer of matt varnish, I've had quite a few dodgy renumbers over the years that only start looking alright once varnished!!

• Like 1

Alright, this is kinda the back of a fag packet idea for the next one.

I like trains to run through really and it's a bit hard in 15',

Hence the branchline and hidden run back to fiddle yard idea - it's not mine I nicked it off the chap that did that small junction in N Wales in blue times ( think it was a Ken gibbons layout)attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Great timing - that 'kick-back' into the fiddle yard has cleared a creative block for me on my plank.  Cheers Rob ;-)

• Like 2

Hi Rob.

Good idea for Wolves steel terminal.

Main line locos plus a Jocko. - Good operational scope.

May I suggest boards from Tim Horns' range?

Ive seen them first hand and they are excellent.

Cheers

Trev :)

Edited by big T

Not much modelling going on...paid a visit to a full size railway...

Got me thinking about a dock model...

Here's muggins enjoying his day out

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Steam trains, boats, food and some thatchers cider.

Ah, Wapping Wharf former CCD when I last visited in the early 1980s,

now Bristol Industrial Museum where I must go one day, especially if there is cider to be had!

cheers

• Like 2

now Bristol Industrial Museum where I must go one day, especially if there is cider to be had!

cheers

I thought it was quite cool.

And the fact the posh flats have been developed around the railway is great, rather than the obvious desire to Tarmac over them !

• Like 1

cheers

Agree, definitely worth a visit Kevin, a few decent pubs in the old cobbled streets on the other side of the water on King Street as well.

Edited by 37114