• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much for the reply and the advice. It's very much appreciated.

I really understand what your saying. Like you say the general base model is around £95-£100 maybe more straight away, then you have the transfers which for the Revised DRS livery are £20, then say another £15-£20 in paint, primer, gloss, varnish and then anything else. The cost clearly soon adds up and I admire them a lot. Their prices might have risen slightly over the past couple of months but they do provide top quality resprays. Can't fault them at all.

I am also a very satisfied customer having bought several models from them before.

Considering that it will probably cost a good £500 probably more to buy everything that I need to be able to start and then the base models it does soon add up to nearly £1000 which is a lot of money. When for that money I could buy a good four or five resprayed locos from R3Sprays ready to run like you say.

I might just buy two Revised 57/3s from R3Sprays if/when they respray some more. In fairness I don't need all four of the Revised DRS 57/3s as I already have a large amount of locos and I am wanting to buy between another 15-20 in the next couple of years so I am definitely not short of anything haha.

Thank you very much for the advice. It's very much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

Yes a very big outlay in equipment. I would probably have to spend around £600 as I don't think £500 would cover it. I was just thinking of respraying these four models and maybe two others so I am not sure if it's worth the outlay for six locos. It's not as if I have 10-15 locos lined up to be resprayed or that I am wanting to do this for a business.

Has Lees Locos every resprayed anything for you before?

Thank you very much for the help.

Thank you in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Please could anyone tell me who airbrushes already and has bought the following equipment what price they paid for it?

• Airbrush
  • Compressor
  • Spray booth
  • Extractor

Has anyone bought a spray booth and extractor? Are they essentials to buy? Or have people just made there own booth and not bothered with an extractor?

Thank you very much in advance.  

No he hasn't done anything for me, but check out his stuff on the relevant workbench sections.

I used to use interespray, but they don't exist anymore having upset a lot of customers,

Nor does one of the other few businesses doing that sort of thing

Please could anyone tell me who airbrushes already and has bought the following equipment what price they paid for it?

• Airbrush
  • Compressor
  • Spray booth
  • Extractor

Has anyone bought a spray booth and extractor? Are they essentials to buy? Or have people just made there own booth and not bothered with an extractor?

Thank you very much in advance.  

I've had a cheapo airbrush (Fengdu, IIRC) off eBay: about £20. It worked intermittently for a bit and then died completely. I replaced it with an Iwata Neo at about £60; this is much better and I still use it. If you just want to spray uniform panels, as opposed to subtle weathering effects, then I suggest that this is as good a brush as you need.

I have an ancient Revel compressor that cost about £80 (I think) about 20 years ago. It's noisy and seems not to provide much pressure. I suspect that you need to spend significantly more on the compressor than the airbrush to get a reliable rig.

Instead of a spray booth, I use just a cardboard box to contain the overspray and a good face-mask with vapour filters to keep the paint out of my lungs. The mask wasn't cheap, but it's significantly cheaper than a booth and extractor system. However, I have a workshop (re-purposed bedroom) in which to do the spraying, so I don't need to protect other family members: just close the door and open the window until the fumes clear. The airbrush doesn't put much paint into the air while spraying, but cleaning it disperses quite a lot of solvent, so you do need to consider ventilation. Acrylic paints are better in this respect than enamels as most of the cleaning can be done with water.

My airbrush is one of the best tools I have brought and use it whenever possible, just resprayed a couple of cars and vans I used acrylics initially but I have found you get a much better result with enamels in my opinion

This is what i use and not overly expensive I would advise against purchasing a cheap airbrush you won't get as good a result and will regret it

Have a look at airbrushes.com

Neo for Iwata CN gravity feed airbrush

[iW-NEO-CN]

£60.50 inc.VAT

(£50.42 ex.VAT)

Iwata Studio Series Sprint Jet compressor

[C-IW-SPRINT]

£210.00 inc.VAT

(£175.00 ex.VAT)

Portable spray booth with extraction fan and hose and turntable around £60

You will need a face mask something like this I use mine while cleaning the airbrush as well

I have found the best way to clean the airbrush is initial clean using cellulose cleaners brought from a motor factors in a 5 litre tin. And finish of with proprietary airbrush cleaner.

Force 8 Half Mask Twin Respirator with Typhoon Valve and pair of A1P2 filters (for organic vapours/gases and dust)

[FM-F8-A1P2]

£26.10 inc.VAT

(£21.75 ex.VAT)

So the kit all in is around £360 that is for a good quality airbrush and compressor as well

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much for the very informative and useful replies. It's very much appreciated.

Yes I was thinking that it would be between £300-£400 for the equipment maybe more. Not massively expensive but still quite a lot of money to shell out for something that you haven't done before. See the other cost would be the transfers which for four sets would be £80 alone then probably a good £50 maybe more in primer, paint, gloss and varnish as well as other bits and pieces you might need.

So if you say £360+£80 (for the transfers) +£50 for the other bits and pieces you are looking at £490.

So the overall outlay is going to be around £500 possible more depending on the equipment you buy. I have just have to think for this amount of money I could go to R3Sprays and buy two locos maybe/nearly three that are complete and ready to run. Also considering the £400 doesn't include the base models at around £106 each, so buy the time I have bought them you are looking at a good £1000.

I'm going to have to have a serious think about this because spending £1000 on this project initially is a massive outlay for something I might not be good at or able to do.

Thank you for all of your responses. It's very much appreciated.

I think it's time to have a good think about this now.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if anyone could help me with a few other questions I have?

I have been thinking about renumbering locos. What is the best way to remove the running numbers from locos both on the sides and ends? Am I right in thinking that I should remove all of the numbers and then replace them with all new numbers because the sizes may vary? Once the old numbers are removed what should I apply to the loco before adding the new numbers to make them stick properly? Where can this be bought from? Do I need to apply anything over the top of the new numbers to seal them in place or do I just leave the numbers to dry?

Thank you very much in advance. Any help is very much appreciated.

I am thinking to renumber the likes of the Compass 37405, Revised 66434 and Powerhaul 66416.

• RMweb Premium

Well that was last year...

If I was going to buy all four Revised Liveried DRS 57/3s from R3Sprays at £240 each it would cost me £960 altogether. I have always had good resprays when buying from R3sprays and I have no problem in paying the money but I was just looking at other options. I have worked out that it would cost me around £500 to buy everything to respray myself and then four 57/3 base models would be around another £400 so really I wouldn't be gaining anything by attempting to respray myself.

Really I only want these four specific locos and maybe a Revised liveried 37 too so I may as well just buy the resprays as the outlay in equipment and base models is going to come to around a £1000 for decent stuff.

I haven't decided one way or another for definite yet just trying to explore the different avenues to go down.

I would view eBay as well, as the revised ones do sell there too. But R3Sprays are very friendly and supply some brilliant decals and paints. I myself funded my equipment (Badger airbrush etc) through spraying things like DRS coaches, 450s, sugarliner tanks, RHTT, short haul sets for good bidders on eBay and used any additional profit for my own/for catalogue releases (but started making containers from Arran's kits 5-6 years ago - a good cheap way to learn before Arran made all RTR). So your four might turn into a good and fun way to fund your hobby... Of course, the other lesson is, popular things have the habbit of ending up in the main catalogue!

Recently I decided to make up some Scotrail coaches, to fund a new spray booth as I have decided I cannot hack the shed over winter no more. Either going for a portable one on eBay for around £45 or a

Sparmax Booth which looks more robust and long lasting...but £130!

post-22366-0-90648400-1442793073_thumb.jpg

post-22366-0-65471500-1442793074.jpg

post-22366-0-24904500-1442793083_thumb.jpg

post-22366-0-30416200-1442793108_thumb.jpg

post-22366-0-32825700-1442793110_thumb.jpg

Archived