RMweb

Heljan Class 25 in 7mm

Jack

So which compromise do you accept, or do you decide not to buy the model ?

I accept the model for exactly what it is, a representation of a class 25/1 in 7mm scale, manufactured by a company who have to try and cater for all, when the real thing has so many variations and permutations, that can be brought up at will if that particular model doesn't fit in some way or other.

I'd like to thank 73080 for his previous information regarding the assignment of that particular front end, being a Derby built example, and his listing of the numbering that was applicable, it helped my greatly in my understanding of the differences.

I think it's quite safe to say that each modeller/collector who reads this thread will make his/her own mind up as to weather to purchase the loco in whatever livery they choose, but the question in the quote should be the decision of that individual, that they make with what information (and pictures) they see and read on threads such as this.

I feel that the constant nit picking/derogatory remarks about a model that is just about there in accuracy, will only make manufacturers look away from the modeller for his/her opinion in the future, not come to us for our opinion. 

I have put my pictures up, not to encourage people to purchase the model, but to display what the model (although still incorrect) can look like with a bit of work. And there in lies the point, we are modellers, and we tend to get our new models and individualise them for ourselves, that's what it's about (In my opinion).

Lets all remember that it's modelling, not politics, if you want perfection, go and buy 12":1 foot (By all accounts, even they're not always correct after so many years)!!!   :jester:

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

I don't mind admitting that I thought the model didn't quite look right when I first saw it, but I will also admit I was Ignorant in not knowing the facts about the build differences between the Darlo & Derby locos.

But having digested the information put up on here I now await my Blue model ..... now what should I have with my slice of humble pie ? cream or custard ?

As others have said it represents great value for money as it just comes out of the box, plonk It on the track and turn the knob, after it has been numbered and weathered, it saves me buying another kit, wheels, paints, transfers etc to stash away with the other unbuilt projects.

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone tried fitting Dec sound to the 25 yet, if so how do you get in the fuel tank to fit speaker

Yes, mine is sound fitted.  For me one of the joys of O gauge is the ability to use large speakers, and so hear much more of the bass than is possible in OO.  I have fitted two large bass reflex speakers in the body of the loco - one either side of the circuit board.  The speakers are purchased through Amazon and are designed for computers, I believe. I mount them on balsa "legs" above the flywheel/cardan shaft.  I have used a recording from Legomanbiffo - and in an O gauge first, the XL decoder came with a very chunky speaker.  

I have posted a you tube clip of my efforts here: https://youtu.be/9g--Tp6aO_M.  What do you think?

• Like 2

Yes, mine is sound fitted. For me one of the joys of O gauge is the ability to use large speakers, and so hear much more of the bass than is possible in OO. I have fitted two large bass reflex speakers in the body of the loco - one either side of the circuit board. The speakers are purchased through Amazon and are designed for computers, I believe. I mount them on balsa "legs" above the flywheel/cardan shaft. I have used a recording from Legomanbiffo - and in an O gauge first, the XL decoder came with a very chunky speaker.

I have posted a you tube clip of my efforts here: https://youtu.be/9g--Tp6aO_M. What do you think?

That sounds very good. Biffo's recordings are excellent, I just wish he did a Class 42!!!

Could you provide a link to the speakers you purchase off Amazon please, or put the description for them on here?

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

That sounds very good. Biffo's recordings are excellent, I just wish he did a Class 42!!!

Could you provide a link to the speakers you purchase off Amazon please, or put the description for them on here?

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;)

Sure:

I used a pair of these in the 25 (and in my Warships): http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S4U7DF8

BUT, if you have space, and want it super-bassy, then you should use these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H8T8GT8 (my Heljan Deltics contain 2 each - and dominate the layout when they are fired up). 

Enjoy!

I said I wouldn't but I have! Just ordered green full yellow front ends and it's coming tomorrow! Going to do 25043 in tops with precision labels 0000 head codes, just hope there are some blanking panels inside if not I'll make some! Never dithered over a model this much before!

• Like 1

I said I wouldn't but I have! Just ordered green full yellow front ends and it's coming tomorrow! Going to do 25043 in tops with precision labels 0000 head codes, just hope there are some blanking panels inside if not I'll make some! Never dithered over a model this much before!

You won't be disappointed Delticfan, I ummed and arred a bit, but glad I got one, and my blue model had the blanking plates in with it, I am planning for a Green full yellow ends one next

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

Thanks for your comments about modellers making their own decision on liveries etc. I had a good think about my choice which was going to be br green small yellow panel but I thought modelling one of the last lingering br green tops locos would be interesting. I need to find a good weathering company I'm not making a mess of it! I will look on the headcode sizes when it arrives but I'm guessing on the smallest characters and the narrowest box type. Getting the head codes right in my opinion can alter the whole face of a loco.

• RMweb Gold

Just so long as you run some Soo Line as well... :D :yes: :whistle:

Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder and, to my (rather middle-aged) eyes, this is a beautiful model.  Herewith, pic of the latest addition to the fleet stabled with a class mate.  Also (and in response to an earlier question about sound fitting), a pic of my method of sound installation in this particular model.  As I said above, there is not the space for the larger speaker (at least not without re-siting the decoder itself), but there is space for two fairly hefty speakers in the void above the flywheels/carden shaft/gear tower.  So I have mounted the speaker on two balsa posts crudely glued onto the chassis.  In order to achieve clearance, I removed the circuit board for the working fan, as well as the fan motor (I having found that the working fans, though a great idea, are noisy and do not (to my mind) enhance the model in practice). I have used a 4-pin plug for the connection between the decoder and the body (onto which are mounted the head code lights, and some cab lights I fitted myself). 

post-3981-0-37975400-1472979327_thumb.jpeg

post-3981-0-59175800-1472991110_thumb.jpeg

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 8