RMweb

Heljan Class 25 in 7mm

Jack

Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder and, to my (rather middle-aged) eyes, this is a beautiful model.  Herewith, pic of the latest addition to the fleet stabled with a class mate.  Also (and in response to an earlier question about sound fitting), a pic of my method of sound installation in this particular model.  As I said above, there is not the space for the larger speaker (at least not without re-siting the decoder itself), but there is space for two fairly hefty speakers in the void above the flywheels/carden shaft/gear tower.  So I have mounted the speaker on two balsa posts crudely glued onto the chassis.  In order to achieve clearance, I removed the circuit board for the working fan, as well as the fan motor (I having found that the working fans, though a great idea, are noisy and do not (to my mind) enhance the model in practice). I have used a 4-pin plug for the connection between the decoder and the body (onto which are mounted the head code lights, and some cab lights I fitted myself). 

Never mind the 25, loving the Class 46 in the background of the second picture. If you ever want to re-home it, I'll give it a good home in the North East.

Regards

Chris

Never mind the 25, loving the Class 46 in the background of the second picture. If you ever want to re-home it, I'll give it a good home in the North East.

Regards

Chris

Haha, you read my mind Chris! Nice sound install, and could we have a few pics of that tasty 46 please.

I came home from Telford with a 25 and am hugely impressed, but rather less so with the instruction sheet.....all it says about decoder fitting is 'make sure you use an appropriate decoder'. That's not very helpful.

Added several hours later.............

I've spent a frustrating hour trying to fit a sound decoder to my loco; this is my first Heljan loco so I may be going over old ground, but it says 'provision has been made to put a speaker in the fuel tank'. Well, I can't get the damn fuel tank open or off, it's fixed solidly as far as I can see. I'm going to put the speaker inside the body as uk_pm has done.

The other thing I'm not impressed with is that I was expecting a transfer sheet to number the loco. I like the idea of the loco being un-numbered but I didn't expect to have to order a sheet from Fox in order to do it.

Added at 5pm.   She's running, sounds magnificent and I'm delighted with her now. A tip for those following in my footsteps; when wiring the motors into the decoder, don't do as I did and put the two orange wires together and the two grey ones, the motors go in opposite directions! Once you put grey with orange in each terminal all is well.

29444867166_278cf3137b_b.jpg

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 3

My class 25 came today and have to say its more robust than my Heljan class 40 given that the parcel delivery driver just threw it over my 6ft high gates on to a flagged yard and it survived intact. :O 

As someone who used to work in the Courier industry I'm a little curious. Was it not to be signed for ? I'd have thought so given its value, also was it not clearly marked as fragile ? The companies I used to work for had a firm policy of a signature being required or a signed letter asking it to be left in the shed. The only way something could be left without these was if the sender had allowed items to be 'left safe' but left safe to us meant under cover in a shed or porch and out of sight of the road, not lobbed over a fence. Any item going missing outside those limits meant the Depot paid the cost of replacement and the driver might find himself up the road. Some companies are obviously better than others, some are crap and I would not trust them with something worth £500.

As someone who used to work in the Courier industry I'm a little curious. Was it not to be signed for ? I'd have thought so given its value, also was it not clearly marked as fragile ? The companies I used to work for had a firm policy of a signature being required or a signed letter asking it to be left in the shed. The only way something could be left without these was if the sender had allowed items to be 'left safe' but left safe to us meant under cover in a shed or porch and out of sight of the road, not lobbed over a fence. Any item going missing outside those limits meant the Depot paid the cost of replacement and the driver might find himself up the road. Some companies are obviously better than others, some are crap and I would not trust them with something worth £500.

When we came back from holiday last month, something that my partner had ordered which was supposed to have been signed for had been left in one of our wheelie bins without any signature. Thankfully, we'd not arranged for our bins to be put out whilst we were away...

Back to 25's, the model does look much better, especially when weathered, than the pre-production shots suggested it would be.

Cheers,

Andrew

Just been casting my eye over the Heljan loco against its prototype (well, pictures of 25 059 and 25 072), and when looking at the bodyside with the large radiator grille (No.1 end), to the right, both these locos have two triangular panels on the bodyside, the outermost small grilles are contained within the triangle panel concerned. The Heljan loco only appears to have the one to the left.

I shouldn't think it will be an issue for me to cut an extra triangle out of the bodyside (I intend to do 25 072), but it appears this is another mistake with the model - unless 059 and 072 are the exceptions to the rule here.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by The Penguin 0f Doom

Just been casting my eye over the Heljan loco against its prototype (well, pictures of 25 059 and 25 072), and when looking at the bodyside with the large radiator grille (No.1 end), to the right, both these locos have two triangular panels on the bodyside, the outermost small grilles are contained within the triangle panel concerned. The Heljan loco only appears to have the one to the left.

I shouldn't think it will be an issue for me to cut an extra triangle out of the bodyside (I intend to do 25 072), but it appears this is another mistake with the model - unless 059 and 072 are the exceptions to the rule here.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Interesting observation,and something that i had`nt noticed before.

Anyhow,this link show`s a pre-tops rat without the aforementioned grill;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48862732@N02/4623941822/in/photolist-83AUNS-dkZdao-rQBAQe-5BnK96-8gEQ1j-AMB456-dNtfAs-93irQC-9MMgUw-c4NpKs-bq3pHQ-c1qEfs-avxhZC-omCbG9-na6KWw-muE2b7-gtKfSw-y4k8r-rQzEQ3-9HgMFN-hHTvWH-rQcn2b-kUTKwZ-f8VPm9-dZub3Z-8PHQsw-9GPUDW-rzdgne-iz6a4R-ejhrE9-hKN1mC-ddYJF3-91eV1B-dTu2h5-e57y48-ahEeZM-dNceiB-fSfH4N-93irTS-fyWpfh-pGCbE3-kR7Wmm-rQBNXk-mmnqct-qPA6aD-dzW2To-c3udPq-os2oPf-dNcKbH-dRLmFh

But my chosen loco, 058 does have it!;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robwalton/12273413424/in/photolist-jGysdh-9dLzce-qxcCoG-9r5cd6-a1AJd9-aTkMBT-4T82s4-ppPiLH-c3AKsW-m3Kqtq-9dLzne-9iecrK-cWeccW-iUK864-dkBirP-98CFxy-bC7r6L-dKRhY4-oFDJVB-4ciQQ9-rXSk59-orLAzt-ivZzLi-ry8FTm-j1asKr-dbjL84-DsajMk-GqTtLX-mzZze6-dgWqVW-fKEnjY-GwG4rz-ips753-dYDwP6-bkghmF-mWgHA6-qTGSfA-e3ktDM-bBATyC-dixfhc-dZub4g-8wnNRW-7PwbvP-b1Mb2e-q2Yyoi-rQBNaD-8uQ6Mh-amD9vN-orLAwT-9dPCBm

I may do something about it ......perhaps.Though mind you ,i`m not going to lose any sleep over it.

But thanks for pointing it out Sean.

Brian.

Received my green full yellow ends -fantastic and I like it. I have noticed the,plastic body is twisted slightly when you eye down the top of the headcode boxes you can see it there, has anyone noticed it. With the body off it is fine so maybe the issue is with the chassis, I'm thinking of using packs on the screw points but I did notice the screw points are on sliders and these move up and down not sure if they should be gluesd in position. Sorry for being vague but wondered about anyone else having the sane issue.

• Like 1

I can only see the one triangle (middle) in the pre-tops shot,the other (#1 end) look`s like a body side crease running from the gutter downward`s?.

Brian.

It appears that the extra triangle (and alternate bodyside grille hinges), were part of the dual braking programme, so (I think), only those fitted with dual brakes should have the two triangular panels.

Just for info.....

Received my green full yellow ends -fantastic and I like it. I have noticed the,plastic body is twisted slightly when you eye down the top of the headcode boxes you can see it there, has anyone noticed it. With the body off it is fine so maybe the issue is with the chassis, I'm thinking of using packs on the screw points but I did notice the screw points are on sliders and these move up and down not sure if they should be gluesd in position. Sorry for being vague but wondered about anyone else having the sane issue.

I don`t have a twist to the body of my blue one,so unless someone else shout`s up,then i don`t really know what to say..

As for the sliders/screw point`s,they do seem to come free,as i found out when i slightly over tighten a couple on one end of my loco!.

So yes i think they should be glued in position,but not below the bottom of luggs they fit in.

Brian

When I first picked up the loco the body slipped slightly off the chassis which didn't seem right and I think you're right the screw points need to be fixed otherwise the body isn't restrained. I've checked the chassis height at all four screw positions and they are the same.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers.

Sean.

As others have said, the 2nd triangular panel was a consequence of dual-braking (as some internal components needed re-siting and new access to them required cutting the 2nd panel into the bodyside) - Jim Smith-Wright detailed the necessary (albeit in 4mm) on his website: http://www.p4newstreet.com/wordpress/articlePDFs/25%20article.pdf

I think I have seen a list of the 25/1s with the extra triangle published somewhere... just not sure where :scratchhead:

As to it being a 'mistake'... Heljan have done a single body tooling, so late-blue era modellers will need to address the front doors, side step/handgrabs, etc anyway (and early/green types might want to look at the exhaust port...) - I see it that Heljan wanted to reduce the production cost, so did a 'one size suits none/some/most/all*' tooling and those requiring 100% accuracy will just have to get on and do a bit of modelling :D

(*delete as applicable)

Having examined a friend's 25/1 at my local club recently, I shall be getting a blue 'un to hack into 25032, circa 1986 (so sealed doors, plated steps, etc). However... 032 was a NB machine and never had the water tank - I know the fuel tank/battery-boxes on the Heljan model are removable, but is the boiler water tank also easily removable?

Edited by CloggyDeux
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Even the good companies get some rogue drivers. They don't last long.

After listening to a "Hermes" driver yesterday on R4 explaining their conditions of slavery service & the companies' expectations of their working arrangements, I am not in the least bit surprised about the "lob and run" or misplaced deliveries ............... all of which the company covers up with a veneer of spin and ad-shiit speak ................ 

Edited by Southernman46

As others have said, the 2nd triangular panel was a consequence of dual-braking (as some internal components needed re-siting and new access to them required cutting the 2nd panel into the bodyside) - Jim Smith-Wright detailed the necessary (albeit in 4mm) on his website: http://www.p4newstreet.com/wordpress/articlePDFs/25%20article.pdf

I think I have seen a list of the 25/1s with the extra triangle published somewhere... just not sure where :scratchhead:

As to it being a 'mistake'... Heljan have done a single body tooling, so late-blue era modellers will need to address the front doors, side step/handgrabs, etc anyway (and early/green types might want to look at the exhaust port...) - I see it that Heljan wanted to reduce the production cost, so did a 'one size suits none/some/most/all*' tooling and those requiring 100% accuracy will just have to get on and do a bit of modelling :D

(*delete as applicable)

Having examined a friend's 25/1 at my local club recently, I shall be getting a blue 'un to hack into 25032, circa 1986 (so sealed doors, plated steps, etc). However... 032 was a NB machine and never had the water tank - I know the fuel tank/battery-boxes on the Heljan model are removable, but is the boiler water tank also easily removable?

To be fair to my good self, I did correct my earlier post in post 138.

As regards the nose doors, it is my intention to do a bit more than "a little bit of modelling" on mine, those who know my modelling style will know of my penchant for hacking models around to make them more representative of my chosen prototype and plans are already afoot...... I will of course post progress as and when the hacking commences.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by The Penguin 0f Doom
  • Like 1

Just re the flat front discussion, if you visit this thread.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114771-how-many-16-ton-mineral-wagons-are-left/page-1

Big Jim has posted some lovely footage which inludes some of D5185. If paused at the correct spot it appears that D5185 has a distinct curve to her front end.....

Cheers.

Sean.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114771-how-many-16-ton-mineral-wagons-are-left/page-1

Big Jim has posted some lovely footage which inludes some of D5185. If paused at the correct spot it appears that D5185 has a distinct curve to her front end.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Which only (unfortunately) demonstrates that Darlington built Locos (of which D5185 is one) have a curved front end. Edited by Osgood

Cheers.

Sean.

I think somewhere on here (?) it was mentioned that Heljan used D5207/25057 as their prototype,which is a Derby built loco.

Brian Daniels has some very nice detail shot`s on his flickr site of a couple of 25`s including 25057.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627022732378

Brian.

• Like 1

….Brian Daniels has some very nice detail shot`s on his flickr site of a couple of 25`s including 25057.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627022732378

Brian.

That has to be the most constructive and useful post so far regarding cab fronts - if the loco has not been re-cabbed at some stage (cabs were removed as a complete unit during overhaul and it has been suggested the cabs were switched around a bit - one loco even having a headcode box at one end but plain the other).

These pictures also suggest Heljan have got the cab roof headcode box / horn geometry pretty accurate.