Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan Class 25 in 7mm

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Time to get started into fitting sound.

That functionality is built into the chip...no need for resistors. I use a Lokprogrammer which makes it very easy, without it the changes could be made via individual cvs.

Edited by blueeighties

That functionality is built into the chip...no need for resistors. I use a Lokprogrammer which makes it very easy, without it the changes could be made via individual cvs.

Not with the Zimo MX696KS it isn't, which is what I've used in this case.

I also prefer to reduce the brightness at source with a comparable resistor to the brightness I require, then if I want any more, or less brightness, I can simply change a CV to do so. Doing it this way, it is set at a brightness I prefer to start with, then it is only minor adjustments. 

Question:  Is the Lokprogrammer capable of working with other manufacturers decoders, or is it ESU based only?

Jinty ;) 

• 2 months later...

I'm afraid the new bodystyle appears to me to have the same issues as the earlier Heljan effort in that the cab doors are too wide, shoving the cab front forward.

Granted it's less flat than their earlier bodystyle but it still appears too flat to me.

In anticipation of this, I started a conversion of the earlier Heljan class 25 into the later body style in much the same way as we used to do to the 4mm Hornby 25 before Bachmann introduced their later bodystyle model.

It's not quite finished yet but progress can be seen on my facebook group here.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/987152598004135/

Cheers.

Painted samples at Hattons

https://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=346

Thanks for the link.

Have to say that the bodyshell improves the lower cab front no end, and if I were ever to model 7mm i would consider one or two, although I always preferred the character of the boilered ones.

I assume there are some kind of black support stands (six) between the underside of the loco and whatever it stands on. 

I'm afraid the new bodystyle appears to me to have the same issues as the earlier Heljan effort in that the cab doors are too wide, shoving the cab front forward.

Granted it's less flat than their earlier bodystyle but it still appears too flat to me.

In anticipation of this, I started a conversion of the earlier Heljan class 25 into the later body style in much the same way as we used to do to the 4mm Hornby 25 before Bachmann introduced their later bodystyle model.

It's not quite finished yet but progress can be seen on my facebook group here.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/987152598004135/

Cheers.

As a modeller "Penguin" i fully support your decision

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought the new version looked miles better - especially the painted samples.. I was very lucky and bought a Jltrt on e bay a month before their announcement (at a sensible price) and the front does still look more curved though.

Edited by Hal Nail

With reference to one of the Hattons 25/3 photos, (which I borrowed) and one of my own I took of No2 cab of 25296. Hereford, July 1984, you can conpare the new Heljan models cab with the prototype. Personally I think it looks good, but I'm not 100% convinced the length of the headcode box is quite right in proportion to the cab roof length, in relation to the prototype.

post-7146-0-40828900-1537782708_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-36444100-1537783247_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-48098100-1537783263_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-94002300-1537783275_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

Edited to change prototype photo after finding better ones of the correct body style.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

GAUGE ‘O’ CLASS 25/3 SET FOR UK RELEASE NEXT WEEK

Heljan O Class 25 V2 Press Release 10.10.18-1.jpg
Image Courtesy Mike Wild/Hornby Magazine

All-new Derby/Sulzer Type 2 with later style body in transit and due to reach Heljan UK stockists in mid-October. Five versions available in BR two-tone green and pre-TOPS or post-TOPS BR blue.

Heljan’s latest ‘O’ gauge BR diesel locomotive is the popular Derby/Sulzer Type 2 in final Class 25/3 guise. Five versions have been produced, covering a cross-section of BR green and BR blue liveries and a choice of pristine or
factory weathered versions. The model represents the ultimate development of the 478 Derby/Sulzer Type 2s, which started with Class 24 in the late-1950s. Our model covers the final batches, built by Derby Works and Beyer, Peacock of Manchester
between December 1963 and April 1967.

The new Heljan Class 25/3 will feature our renowned high-performance twin motor chassis with all-wheel drive and all-wheel pick-up, powered roof fan, illuminated headcode panels and marker lights, and provision for the
installation of DCC and sound.

Suggested retail price is £525.00 and all models are available to order now from your local Heljan stockist.

Heljan O GAUGE CLASS 25/3 MODELS
2555 – BR two-tone green with small yellow panels unnumbered
2556 – BR two-tone green with full yellow ends unnumbered
2557 – BR Rail Blue with full yellow ends (pre-TOPS, twin BR arrows)unnumbered
2558 – BR Rail Blue with full yellow ends (TOPS era, single, central double arrows) unnumbered
2559 – BR Rail blue with full yellow eends (TOPS era, single, central double arrows) unnumbered WEATHERED

• Like 2

A surprise announcement then !

Are there any actual pictures of the variants as produced? Was the weathered version a custom  one off job?

Would like to see pics of the actual production models before taking the plunge

Its going to be an expensive Q3 and Q4 of 2018

Edited by class27

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those images "Blueeighties".

If I modelled in 7mm I wouldn't be able to resist one of these, and it is a vast improvement on the earlier boilered version which I couldn't live with. The improvements done on this model far and away surpass the earlier model, match the quality of the Derby/Sulzer type 4,  and knock the class 50 cab ends out of the park. If all Heljan products can be this good henceforth then perhaps they have turned a corner - notwithstanding the backs of the headcode boxes are still too long, but I could like with that.

Nice model going to order a bluey, no one moaning it’s the wrong shape yet lol...!

OK lets start lol, 

Cab door window slightly too low at top (see pics in post 210 to compare) and I hope the triagular access panel is flush as the real thing is recessed into the body

Edited by 25901

Nice model going to order a bluey, no one moaning it’s the wrong shape yet lol...!

Give it time .... they are like buses, there will be 2 or 3 along soon at the same time !!!

I can’t wait to get mine and play with it ....... life is far too short to worry about it being incorrect by approx a Gnat’s knob length here and there, or this window is out by X, and this panel is out by Y, and then there are those who complain and lambast the model and finish off with those imortal words “ I Model in 4mm so I wasn’t buying one anyway” or “ I don’t do Diesels so I won’t be buying one anyway”

Anyway, well done Heljan, this is a great 7mm - RTR Model

Craig

I do 4mm and don't do 7mm. But as some may know I do 1ft/12" .

I'm not knocking Heljan and I thank them for doing a model just as I thank Bachmann and SLW for there offering. At the moment we are blessed with great offering and at the time when the Class 25s are about to shine again 

• Like 1