A waste of time? Now finished!

steve1

To some, maybe but to me it is an enjoyable little modelling project.

At Selby show last week I bought a Continental wagon from Martin Wales of this parish at a bargain price of 2 quid. It's a 4 wheeler with no maker's name on it and looked somewhat old and tired. (The wagon, not Martin. Mind you...)

As one does with these things, I though "I can do something with that". So I am.

So far I have:

Stripped out the rubbish wheels and the odd couplings. Fleischmann loop one end and Peco 'claw' the other.

Given it a good wash.

Re-wheeled using 12.5mm 3 holes disc on Alan Gibson short Lima axles I had in the wheels box as normal ones didn't fit.

Added NEM coupler boxes recycled from a Bachmann wagon that were in the spares box. I picked up this trick up from an article in the BCC magazine by Nigel Burkin. (Thanks Nigel!) Into these I plugged Kadee 19 Longs that clear the buffers, They have come out at the correct height too to the gauge.

Started weathering but still a long way to go.

I may add stakes too after studying a few pics, plus a load. Quite possibly a vehicle.

Now some folk may say why am I botheryng but to me this is modelling. It gives me a sense of satisfaction and achievement, and what's wrong with that?

Here's some pics.

post-143-0-14477400-1442171362_thumb.jpg

Bottom (showing old wheels and couplings)

post-143-0-30312300-1442171387_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

steve

Edit - Sprlling!

Very nice work -

But do beware you might find a tired old continental 'dampflok' or 'elok'  has suddenly and inexplicably appeared - ?

Continental rolling stock and motive power has a habit of breeding...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, after a pleasant few hours of actual modelling, I have now finished the wagon to my satisfaction.

It's been fun to build and I'm looking forward to running it on Starker Verkehr when the layout goes out next. (Probably Goole 2016) It's given me a sense of satisfaction to have taken something slightly less than good and turn it into something I will be pleased to have on the layout. What more could I ask for?

Here's a couple of pics:

post-143-0-58169100-1445800983_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-85844500-1445800996_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's a neat trick with the NEM mount - must start doing that on the (growing) selection of older H0 wagen I have. Much as I would prefer to use screw couplings, sourcing usable H0 ones is proving difficult (and expensive!)

This would have the added advantage of also using up the (also growing) collection of NEM mounts stripped off UK wagons (which do get screw couplings).

For wheels, I'm still working my way through a bag of 100 axles of 10.5mm disc wheels on 24.5mm axles from Liliput (Bachmann) which were obtainable as a spares a few years back - only the older wagen with chunky wheelsets get them swapped out if they fail the 'Ppeco Code 75 point' test!

Archived