RMweb

Guess where

naturol

• RMweb Gold

I thought to was Bute Terrace/Adams Street.

Knew it was Cardiff, but the feather on the signal at the lh side of the bridge had me thinking the only place it could be was a junction off to the right.

The only place I know like that in a built up area is the line between QS and Central.

Change of mind...

Herbert St, Tyndall St behind the camera!

Well it's the same bridge!

It wasn't the Anglia turning out of Collingdon Road that made you change your mind, but the feathers on the signal............. no use for a train bound for Bute Road at that time.

Brian R

post-1599-0-71099600-1446153653_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-40083300-1446153686_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Evening all just doing a bit of research into Coity goods yard does anyone know when the branch off the VoG closed ? and was it worked off the Maesteg line as well as the vale line ,cant seem to find any photos of it either, any help appreciated!

Mervyn

According to my copy of R.A. Cooke's Section 44'B'

The branch from Cowbridge Road Junction on the VoG was closed from 15/6/1964.

Coity Goods was then served off the Bridgend-Tondu / Maesteg line.

The former Barry Railway engine shed remained in use as a goods shed until the single line leading to it was removed in 1975.

From 30/11/1977 the double track from Bridgend to Coity Sidings S.B. were redesignated as (i) Up & Down Tondu, and (ii) Up & Down Coity Branch Sidings.

Coity Sidings S.B. was closed from the same date.

The last train to serve Coity Goods was on 22/11/1983.

The branch and sidings were taken out of use on 19/12/1983.

The photos below (photographer to be confirmed) were taken on 22/07/1972 and the first shows the Canton DMU on what later became the Up & Down Coity Branch Sidings, with Coity Sidings S.B. in the distance.

The other photos show the yard, with the DMU standing on the lead that ran to the former Barry loco shed.

There was a two-part article, with drawings, on Barry Railway engine sheds (Barry, Trehafod & Coity) in Model Railways during the mid-1970s - can't recall the exact dates, but I have the articles filed.

Hope this helps you

Brian R

post-1599-0-74429400-1446373771.jpg

post-1599-0-70599800-1446373874.jpg

post-1599-0-77848400-1446373893.jpg

post-1599-0-47692400-1446373934.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 5

Definitely Radyr.

Gareth has tried to throw us off the scent because the loco hauled train which has obviously come along the former Penarth Harbour & Dock Line (now the City Line) which had no regular passenger service until 1987 is on the section through the yard between Radyr Quarry 'box and Radyr Junction 'box.

One of the staples on the left - hopefully a 34xx - one of which would pass our front room window each day on its' perambulations from  Waterhall Junction to Creigiau Quarry

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely Radyr.

Gareth has tried to throw us off the scent because the loco hauled train which has obviously come along the former Penarth Harbour & Dock Line (now the City Line) which had no regular passenger service until 1987 is on the section through the yard between Radyr Quarry 'box and Radyr Junction 'box.

One of the staples on the left - hopefully a 34xx - one of which would pass our front room window each day on its' perambulations from  Waterhall Junction to Creigiau Quarry

Brian R

Brian the line immediately left of the train is the Down Relief with connection to the Branch leading out of it, then the Up Relief with the connection from the Branch trailing into it.  The signal visible at left is the Up Relief Inner Home with the right hand (higher elevation) doll, Signal No.62, reading to the Up Main while the left hand doll, Signal No.66 reads to the Up Relief.  And to think I walked round all that lot on more than a few occasions - over 40 years ago.

Personally I think that Railtour has gone around the Quarry Loop from Llandaff or if you are a bit more modern Llandaf and if you are even older Llandaff for Whitchurch!

I feel I should also point out that in a lot of cases on this thread at best I was 11 and you could find me on BTM on a Saturday afternoon looking at what was on BBR.

Ah! the old days, mum was happy for me to get a bus into the city centre and then stand around on a large railway station, I was at best 9!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah! the old days, mum was happy for me to get a bus into the city centre and then stand around on a large railway station, I was at best 9!

Well, she knew where you were.

All those pictures of Radyr remind me of when I was young, and we used to go that way to visit my grandparents in Aberaman (change at Abercynon).

• RMweb Gold

Well, she knew where you were.All those pictures of Radyr remind me of when I was young, and we used to go that way to visit my grandparents in Aberaman (change at Abercynon).

My local station......until axed......1963 was it ? Now you get to Cardiiff from the other side of the valley apparently. My mother was Aberaman's District Nurse for over 20 years. Great to see the shots of Walnut Tree viaduct. Once went caving in the cliff side quite near the dolomite (If my memory isn't at fault) quarry and plant on the valley side in the shot.Been under that viaduct more times than I've had hot dinners.....starting with ex TVR in the 3XX series,through 56XX,Standard 3MT tanks and then the dreaded DMU from early 1958..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now you get to Cardiiff from the other side of the valley apparently.

After the line was closed to passengers we used to get there and back by Red and White bus, route 175. Apparently, Base Toys are bringing out a model of a Bristol MW6G bus in R&W livery on this route, together with one on route 171 from Pontypridd to Aberdare.

After the line was closed to passengers we used to get there and back by Red and White bus, route 175. Apparently, Base Toys are bringing out a model of a Bristol MW6G bus in R&W livery on this route, together with one on route 171 from Pontypridd to Aberdare.

I'll be up for one of those, to remind me of their 'odd-ball' fleet numbering - albeit, once grasped, it seemed almost logical.

• RMweb Gold

Of course,that's right. Had to walk down Clarence Street to Cardiff Road .....and put your hand out. A far cry from Pannier 6437 and her autocoaches which spent their time shunted up the branch at Abercynon whilst waiting for the up Barry Island to Merthyr to clear the island platform.,so as to take returning Aberdare passengers up the branch. Which left Aberdarians to the tender mercies of Red&White and Western Welsh....the latter company being responsible for the cross valley sevice from Aberdare to my mother 's Rhondda roots via "The Rhigos" crossroads and Tirherbert Sinkings ( Tower Colliery ) .Banwen sevice from Aberdare Low Level station yard to Rhigos and the scenic route to Treherbert. Now a so called heritage route. In my early days not to be attempted after dark ....avoiding the inevitable sheep or mist.Afforestation was rife on the mountainsides.Great view from the top .....unless you missed the bends and scrapped your car or yourself....long drop.

That's an interesting train, with an ex-LNWR 0-8-0 (is it a G2A?) on the front. I assume it is going back to the Sirhowy Valley.

Yes.  I'm guessing the summer of 1957 because in the following summer, the last in which Super Ds were used on this working, the set included two LMS design corridor coaches in blood and custard and four assorted GW suburbans in crimson.

Chris