Guess where

naturol

I've seen that colour pic shot from the viaduct before.   It's not one of Hugh Ballantyne's, is it?

Chris

Edit - found it. Page 80 of  'Western Steam In Colour' [ian Allan, 1990] by Hugh Ballantyne, who also took the photo on 13th May 1965.  Ought we not to be crediting copyright photos when we we post them?

Edited by chrisf

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the date of the picture off the top of Walnut Tree viaduct, makes me wonder what sort of trek was made to take it?

By this time through working had long finished, and the only trains were the working across the viaduct to the dolomite works (which can be seen on the b&w shot of the 56xx sitting on the viaduct on the raiiltour.

Assuming that no 'lift' had been available, access would have been from the southern end of Garth tunnel from the  pedestrian bridge just before the entrance; up through the dolomite works, or a long walk down from Ty Rhiw/Rockwood colliery. Other than that it would have been a bit of a scramble as the sides of the Taff valley are quite steep either side of the viaduct.

Of course this also highlights the distances that signalmen had to travel to and from work. as Walnut Tree West signal box was just north of the northern end of Garth tunnel. ( Way back in another thread we looked at the distances signalmen were expected to travel along the cess to get to their box).

Back on the photo, I see the harbinger of steam's imminent demise, is waiting  to come off 'The Big Hill' down from Penrhos Junction, so the 56/66xx on the down relief can only have a little time left in service.

The bridge over the long closed Glamorganshire canal can be seen in the bottom rhs of the photo.

Of course it's all changed now and the only lines remaining are the  up and down main.

Even the signal box has gone, demolished, but also saved by the DFR.

Richard,

About the time of the Ballantyne photo, the late Alan Jarvis also took some shots of the daily Radyr - Aber Jct. - Walnut Tree West working and apparently the train passed reasonably slowly and either be prior arrangement, or sheer nerve, he got a lift on the brake van.

I don't know if they were together.

Also at that time, someone was busy with a tape recorder, as the Monmouthshire Railway Society L.P. (must I explain that term ?)"Steam in the Valleys" contains a track that is the Aber - Walnut Tree West trip passing.

Brian R

• Like 2

A slide taken by Hugh, probably on the same day, was in the Colour Rail catalogue (BRW1088) and showed 6614 crossing the viaduct with the daily freight.  To reach the viewpoint would have taken some mountain-goating!

Despite his stammer Alan J was very good indeed at talking his way into places.  Apparently Canton shed was quite accessible, at least to him, on Christmas Day.  Lucky devil ...

That Gareth acquired the slide is interesting.  I never managed to persuade Hugh to sell me copies of his work.  I understand that Hugh's pictures are now in the care of Rail Photo Prints.

Chris

Edit: Gareth, what is the pedigree of the photo of Pentyrch box?  It looks very much like one by the late Tom Sands that appeared in Railway Magazine

Edited by chrisf

Edit: Gareth, what is the pedigree of the photo of Pentyrch box?  It looks very much like one by the late Tom Sands that appeared in Railway Magazine

Or possibly John J.Davis

He had several published in the 50s and 60s including Waterhall Junction and Ely Paper Mills boxes.

Brian R

Gareth, the last thing any of us wanted was for you to go off and take your hydraulic shots with you.  I did not find them offensive and have not used the word except in this sentence.  If there is a villain in any of this it is the person who is unloading stuff on ebay and allowing purchasers to believe that it is his own work.  I am sorry that you took it the wrong way.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Memories of spotting trips to Pontypool Road or even, if adventurous ,Shrewsbury..Evrything squealed and crawled its way across.

Leather strap down,stick head out of carriage window and look down.......not for the faint hearted.The stuff that went across that frail looking structure,especially during the war....even USRA 2-8-0's. Not an exaggeration to have considered it essential to the war effort.Should the South Wales main line have been cut....that was the only way to Swansea,its docks and other vital industrial units such as Llandarcy oil refinery.

• Like 2

Any takers.................... ?

All the South Wales staples are there (i) 'six-eighter' (ii) Hunslet 18" 0-6-0ST (iii) a pit (iv) leaden skies. .  .  .  .  .  .  . except the suicidal trespassing sheep !

Brian R

post-1599-0-33303300-1447136192.png

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3