Guess where

naturol

Apart from a branch line crossing the bridge, there is another line running left to right in front of the white gates.

Allegedly, the photographer is stood in shortest street in town.

Also the location of one of the last two surviving tram depots in town.

So what street are we in ?, what is the road the other side of the bridge ?.

What is the name of the nearby station ?

Brian R

post-1599-0-17913800-1444422313_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Crockherbtown Jct / Queen St (North) Box is of concrete in a steel frame, I think the first ones date from the early 30's although some were built during the war years and differed in having a Asbestos roof.

Edited by stevegr

• RMweb Gold

Standing right at the bottom end of Clive Street. (I was born in 156!) Picture taken with the photographer's back to the 'Plymouth'.

The old tram depot on the left with Grangetown gas works beyond, under the bridge is Ferry Road.

The bridge carries the old TVR line down to Ely tidal harbour and the 'Red House'.

Station was Grangetown.

Thanks for a place I knew, apart from Radyr.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

Standing right at the bottom end of Clive Street. (I was born in 156!) Picture taken with the photographer's back to the 'Plymouth'.

The old tram depot on the left with Grangetown gas works beyond, under the bridge is Ferry Road.

The bridge carries the old TVR line down to Ely tidal harbour and the 'Red House'.

Station was Grangetown.

Thanks for a place I knew, apart from Radyr.

Well done Rich

Only thing you missed was the name of the street - York Place - which is the bit between the bottom of Clive Street and the section of Ferry Road we can see through the bridge.

York Place effectively divides Ferry Road into two sections with another section running from Clive Street to Corporation Road / Clarence Road bridge.

How do I know this ?

When I worked Canton, if we had a new skipper, and he asked our location for an 'RV' we would say "York Place" and he'd be scuppered, but they'd never ask where it was to save face............. another favourite was Delta Street in Canton, where the Tesco supermarket stands on the corner with Leckwith Road, everyone thinks Tesco is in Cowbridge Road East, except for mischievous old lags like me.

Brian R

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

Wasn't there a small tobacconist's on the corner of York Place/Clive St lane? Or does my mind play tricks on me?

What I do remember is walking the full length of Ferry Road, jumping from sleeper to sleeper, and although there were always plenty of wagons down there, I never once saw a loco on the lower,roadside sections.

My grandfather used to enjoy taking me down the 'Ferry', although I'm sure the thought of a few pints at the halfway stage fuelled his enthusiasm.

• Like 2

............... and guess what was on the front of the iron ore hoppers Brian !

Brian

PS

The track layout in the pictures of the iron ore train may give the latter location away, thereby making identification of the orginal Western's location which is away to the left, a little easier.

Looks like Crosskeys, with Halls Road Tramroad in the foreground.

Although it looks more like this these days

7979128860_f86e2bca38_c.jpg

Halls Road by Stuart, on Flickr

• RMweb Gold

First one could be Porth.  On the other hand, given my track record ...

Chris

Excellent Mr F - it is looking down the little valley towards Rhonnda Fach Junction North signalbox which can be seen through the bridge.  

However if, with all that detail,  I've got it wrong my track record will make yours shine in truly resplendent fashion

Yup correct

Rhymney box and shed

Cardiff Queen street North

How about these 2

Cheers GARETH

Right the shed is Ferndale but the box name was Maerdy Jct that stood opposite the shed.

The other view is Porth taken looking at Rhondda Fach Norths gantry on the Maerdy branch.

Cheers GARETH