Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why the dearth of 4mm RTR push-pull trains ?

Guest Phil

What about the 'NSE Area Managers Saloon', ADB975025 for the modern image fraternity ?

post-7088-126877613271_thumb.jpg

I don't want one myself as I have some excellent etchings for my own version to replace the one in this picture, but with three liveries ( BR Blue/NSE and the current green, named 'Caroline and with rebuilt ends ) surely the nationwide travels of this thing would generate some interest, not to mention the variety of traction that has 'had a go' in the past ?

I would have enclosed a pic of the real thing but do not wish to fall fould of copyright issues or upset the Mods !

Dave

• 3 years later...

I have just purchased a Grafar OO model of this. It differs from yours in that it has to square lumps on either side of the driving compartment. I am surprises at the lack of cab side windows when compared to a GWR Autocoach.

The 'square lumps' are guards lookout duckets, not required on push pull coaches. However some conversions from LMS non-corridor brake thirds retained their duckets. BR continued building the LMS design after 1947 but incorporated two side windows in the driving cab. My model was of the Period II version, produced because it covers a longer period and allows my 'early LMS' regulars to have full panelled coaches (the Period III 'Stanier' variants barely lasted any longer under BR). One peculiarity of push pull stock on the London Midland Region of BR.....They often got lined livery even in the early 1960s.

I would disagree with 10800 on the potential popularity of an r-t-r 4TC. With no third rail required they might be just as popular as the CEP - and perhaps boost sales of the Heljan 33/1 too.

Indeed so, the real things got about all over the place on railtours in the past, particularly towards the end of the Cromptons time on the Southern.

As well as the 33's of course the TC's could be used with Limby/Dapol 73's and the forthcoming 74!

Given their verstility it does surprise me that they haven't been mentioned when various SR MU stock is being touted in general?

Since the OP first asked the question, things have improved a bit. Bachmann are producing the later Hawksworth autocoaches along with 6400 class tank engine in both 00 and N gauges. Dapol are also producing the SR push-pull Gate stock for Kernow in 00.

I wonder if part of the reason is that push-pull trains are less interesting to operate than trains you need to run round? If you are going to go heavily for push-pull operation then you might almost just go modern image and model multiple units.

I suspect part of the answer is that people who actually travelled on and were familiar with push and pull trains are now getting distinctly long in the tooth. It is not something commonly encountered on preserved railways. The auto coach at Didcot is perhaps the exception, but due to the popularity of GW/BR (W) modelling, GW autos are also a bit of an exception and are 'known'.

A lot of people (a majority?) model the railways they are or were familiar with. Something off the familiar beaten path like push-pull trains are a 'Here Be Dragons' category.

Hornby seem to be doing quite well with their BR conversion of the Maunsell stock, which had a very short life, so perhaps there is a market for an LMS push pull set. I would certainly like to see one. Some of the L&Y 2-4-2Ts were push pull fitted, as described elsewhere on this forum and, as has already been mentioned, the Ivatt Tanks were as well, so two potential Bachmann locos already available. Of course an LNWR Coal tank and/on a Midland Johnson 0-4-4T would also fit the bill nicely!

I wonder if part of the reason is that push-pull trains are less interesting to operate than trains you need to run round? If you are going to go heavily for push-pull operation then you might almost just go modern image and model multiple units.

A modern image multiple-unit with a steam loco one one end.......yes!  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

As someone with an interest in the S&D, I'd REALLY like to see a 4mm Johnson 0-4-4T! I'm not sure if the S&D locos were ever auto fitted - somehow I doubt it as I've never seen a pic of a push-pull train on the line. Can anyone add to this?

Hornby seem to be doing quite well with their BR conversion of the Maunsell stock, which had a very short life, so perhaps there is a market for an LMS push pull set. I would certainly like to see one. Some of the L&Y 2-4-2Ts were push pull fitted, as described elsewhere on this forum and, as has already been mentioned, the Ivatt Tanks were as well, so two potential Bachmann locos already available. Of course an LNWR Coal tank and/on a Midland Johnson 0-4-4T would also fit the bill nicely!

There were also some auto-fitted LMS 'Jinty' 0-6-0t; these worked around the Swansea area.

I wonder how many remember that Larry (Coachman) Goddard used to produce beautiful RTR models of the ex-LNWR autocoaches with central sliding doors, as used on the Delph line (which ran, of course, through Greenfield.

I wish he'd do another run of these - or sell the etched kits for them. I'm sure they'd go like hot cakes!

Ian

As someone with an interest in the S&D, I'd REALLY like to see a 4mm Johnson 0-4-4T! I'm not sure if the S&D locos were ever auto fitted - somehow I doubt it as I've never seen a pic of a push-pull train on the line. Can anyone add to this?

Yes, several of them were fitted for pull-push working. For example 58047 as see here and in model form here. The Wells branch train was often a mixed motor train with a wagon or two and guards van at the appropriate end. Although used on the other branches, they didn't always run as motor trains.

Nick

edit ps. see also this topic.

I wonder how many remember that Larry (Coachman) Goddard used to produce beautiful RTR models of the ex-LNWR autocoaches with central sliding doors, as used on the Delph line (which ran, of course, through Greenfield.

I wish he'd do another run of these - or sell the etched kits for them. I'm sure they'd go like hot cakes!

Ian

I built around 110 of these vehicles to a number of LNW diagrams and I don't know how I found the time to build them while still doing painting & lining full time. I suspect all the tools (negatives) were destroyed so there is nothing to sell. With the prospect of Greenfield actually being runnable this year, it is likely some of the LNWR push-pull coaches will be revisited.

Archived