LMS push-pull coaches.

Despite the vain hope that one of our manufacturers would make some push-pull stock, I have decided to take the plunge and build some of my own. I have heard of conversions of Tri-ang/Hornby clerestories and the Mainline LMS suburbans. Has anyone converted the Ratio suburban kits? Although my layout has a Southern Region setting, I still wouldn't mind an ex-Midland set as well as a Southern one.

Or do I take the plunge and get a pair of push-pulls from Roxey.

If your layout is Southern-based,ex-LMS coaches wouldn't be suitable for use with SR loco's as the P/P gear wasn't compatible.

However,I think the easiest route to an LMS P/P driving trailer is to fit end windows into one of the old Grafar suburban brake 3rd coaches,although the '00' ones haven't been produced for a while they're still readily available secondhand.Comet do the end as a part,-EM5,so quite a straightforward 'bash'..

Suitable LMS parts - depending which variant one would want to do - are available from Comet, 5522 & Bill Bedford at least.

The 'easiest' way would be the Mailcoach LNER version, which is a plastic kit.

The Roxey ones, as you say, would be best for an SR based layout though. My knowledge of the SR is minimal, so I dont know whether using replacement sides and end with the Hornby SR offerings is a possible way forward? The Hornby model may not sound cheap, but if you look at the cost of full etched brass kits and the time taken to build them it may be a cost/time effective solution.

HTH in some way, shape or form.

Cheers,

Did you see these threads?

LMS Push-Pull Coaches on the S&DJR

Johnson 1P 58047

In the former, I concluded that one type could be built using a Comet M25 kit of a D1735 and converting it to a D1790 driving trailer using the Coment driving end (EM5). The first photo of the third post in the latter shows one view of the prototype. Larry also added a photo of the pipework on the ends in his Non-Corridor Suburban Coaches blog.

Nick

ps. I also have a couple of the Ratio brakes and would be very interested to learn more about converting these to pp types.

edit: fixed trailer diagram number

• Like 1

If your layout is Southern-based,ex-LMS coaches wouldn't be suitable for use with SR loco's as the P/P gear wasn't compatible.

I didn't explain that a future layout at the planning stage will most likely be set in the Somerset coalfield.

I didn't explain that a future layout at the planning stage will most likely be set in the Somerset coalfield.

I was involved in building an EM layout set in this area [in the vicinity of Radstock],unfortunately neither the S&D,nor the GW lines in BR days used P/P or autos in this area..

Pray tell us more Julian. Are you looking at S&D or GW lines? Pre- or post-nationalisation? Things were a bit funny on the S&D lines after nationalisation as control passed first to Southern Region and then to Western, though much of the loco stock remained LMR in origin. Unfortunately all the branches that had, or might have had, P-P operation closed in the early '50s (even earlier on the GWR lines).

There were definitely MR/LMS push-pull workings on the Wells branch in the 1930s as I seem to remember Casserley photographed one of them. I'll have to go and look it up...

There were definitely MR/LMS push-pull workings on the Wells branch in the 1930s as I seem to remember Casserley photographed one of them. I'll have to go and look it up...

Well,yes, I was going to mention that, but as JZ specifically mentioned 'Somerset Coalfield',I didn't,as the coalfield didn't extend to the Wells area..

Well,yes, I was going to mention that, but as JZ specifically mentioned 'Somerset Coalfield',I didn't,as the coalfield didn't extend to the Wells area..

In which case all you have is the main line between say Chilcompton and Wellow. Not much scope for P-P operation there unless one revives something like the Nettlebridge Valley proposal.

This has aroused a bit of interest. So I will start another thread in the layouts section.

The reason for the p-p at the moment is for little other reason that I like p-p stock, but I will need an excuse to run it.

I too am struggling with a scenario that allows me to run a 1P + PP driving trailer and a 7F on the same line. The nearest I've come so far is that the Bath-Binegar local was at one time a couple of (I think) LMS coaches behind a 1P. I think I may need to invoke Rule No 1 :rolleyes:

Nick

ps. of course, if you go for CK's Engine Wood scenario, you could run an LMS PP from Green Park to Hallatrow via the Cam Valley :blink:

• RMweb Gold

This has aroused a bit of interest. So I will start another thread in the layouts section.

The reason for the p-p at the moment is for little other reason that I like p-p stock, but I will need an excuse to run it.

There were a number of parts of Southern Railway and BR(S) where Pull-Push would have seemed suitable, but was never used - the North Cornwall and North Devon lines, for example. Stretching the truth to include a P-P working in a plausible area seems a trivial crime in comparison to some of the compromises we have to accept, frankly!

I have now ordered some parts from Comet and have a couple of Ratio Midland sub's on order. I hope to make a passable push-pull set.. Having a look around for a 1P kit now. And how would I use it I hear you ask, or perhaps not. Shepton Mallett-Somercombe market days only.

As for the Southern set, I cannot find the driving trailer (4C27) listed on the Roxey site. Awaiting a reply from them.

• RMweb Premium

Unless I missed something somewhere (in which case - sorry), there's been no mention of the ex-Airfix/Dapol 57' lav. n/c stock - were any of the brake thirds converted for p/p working? It just seems a fairly easy job to fit a driving end to a brake third - too easy, probably!

Unless I missed something somewhere (in which case - sorry), there's been no mention of the ex-Airfix/Dapol 57' lav. n/c stock - were any of the brake thirds converted for p/p working? It just seems a fairly easy job to fit a driving end to a brake third - too easy, probably!

I've been looking for some on ebay, but they seem to be attracting silly money at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking for some on ebay, but they seem to be attracting silly money at the moment.

That is expensive! I just wish Hornby or whoever would bring 'em out again.

I have a few Airfix examples stashed away for future projects, if I have any surplus to foreseeable requirements I'll PM you.

I have now ordered some parts from Comet and have a couple of Ratio Midland sub's on order. I hope to make a passable push-pull set.. Having a look around for a 1P kit now. And how would I use it I hear you ask, or perhaps not. Shepton Mallett-Somercombe market days only.

As for the Southern set, I cannot find the driving trailer (4C27) listed on the Roxey site. Awaiting a reply from them.

The Ratio bits should do the business as the units used on the Wells branch were exMR panelled stock I believe.

Craftsman do a kit for the 1P in either Belpaire or round top versions. They too sell through eBay.

... the units used on the Wells branch were exMR panelled stock I believe.

See the links in one of my earlier posts (#5). I'm reasonably convinced that in the final years of the Wells branch a steel sided LMS D1790 driving trailer was in use. There are several photos of this vehicle. There is at least one photo of a panelled 5 compartment trailer behind a BR liveried 58086 which is said to be a converted S&D coach. Another, dated 1949, also shows a panelled 5 compartment vehicle from the driving end. It has four windows side by side at the top centre of the end and so looks rather strange. Yet another photo (undated) shows a panelled vehicle with an indeterminate number of compartments. This one has four windows in the driving end at a more conventional height, with a blank panel between the two pairs. Whether any of these are LMS conversions, I have no idea. However, none of the photos I've seen of panelled P&P stock claim to show LMS vehicles.

I'd certainly be very interested to learn more about the early history of P&P working on the branch. Does anyone know if it started in S&D days (I've yet to find a photo of any of the early S&D 1Ps fitted for P&P working) or was it introduced after the LMS takeover in 1930?

Nick

edit: sorry, should have said the photos referred to above are in the Burnham to Evercreech Jn Middleton Press book, Stephen Austin's Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway: a View from the past, and The Somerset & Dorset Files, No 4.