Firstly hello to all, this is the first time I've posted here although I have enjoyed following the fantastic layouts here for a few years!

Like many I had a layout as a child, which my father built for my brother and I. Sadly this layout ended up being mothballed and stored away in the attic over 20 years ago.

In 2009, I was walking past our local model shop when I noticed one of Bachmann's 4-CEPs in the window, resplendent in full blue-grey livery. Taken aback by the level of detail, I bought one, even though I didn't have a layout to run it on! After several months of looking at it sitting on a shelf, I decided it was time to build it a proper home.

Much indecisiveness ensued, but finally 3 years later I decided on a plan, with the help of the brilliant AnyRail software. Although I'm based on the south coast, Sevenoaks interested me because it's on our main line to London, and it sees a great variety of passenger and freight traffic. The layout is now well underway - progress has been slow but steady, and has gathered pace in the last 6 months! As the plan will show, it is a somewhat 'compressed' version of the area, to fit the space I have to work with. However, I found it lent itself to this, and I've been keen to keep all the characteristic features of the station and surrounding areas despite the spatial distortion! The traffic will be from 1990s to the present day, and I hope particularly to focus on the more unusual visitors to the station, including the VSOE, and of course Eurostar, which originally passed through Sevenoaks and Tonbridge until recent years.

All of the track is laid, as well as the platforms and some of the ballasting, so I will be posting some progress photos in due course, but I wanted to give a brief introduction to the project first, and introduce myself I guess!

Comments are always more than welcome :)

post-23547-0-56280000-1442272579_thumb.jpg

Edited by tjf4375
new updates
  • Like 13

Thanks guys, appreciate the encouragement! A few pics of the layout are attached; please note it is obviously a work in progress! Lots and lots to do, but ballasting is well underway, and the 3rd rail will be going down shortly (not a job I'm looking forward to if I'm honest). Construction of the station main buildings has also started so I hope things will start to take shape and I'll have more to show before too long!

Anyway would be very grateful for any feedback, comments or questions - or criticism!

post-23547-0-75017000-1442367832_thumb.jpg

A close up of the southern end of the platforms, with Networker and Class 319 occupying the down platforms

post-23547-0-73642400-1442367833_thumb.jpg

View as looking south from the road bridge - the somewhat exaggerated curvature of the track layout to fit the space is evident here, although I'm hoping that the addition of the station buildings will detract from it a bit!

post-23547-0-29154300-1442367834_thumb.jpg

The trackwork for the junction at the northern end of the platforms - this is taken from just under where the road bridge will cross, and the viewpoint roughly in line with the road.

post-23547-0-84258100-1442367834_thumb.jpg

A wider view looking north from the southern approach to the station. As you can see, a lot of ballasting and track weathering still to do.

post-23547-0-63117500-1442367835_thumb.jpg

Close up shot of the FCC Class 319 (a Bratchell Models kit) on platform 4.

post-23547-0-41810800-1442367836_thumb.jpg

A close up shot of the Networker with 319 in background.

• Like 16

A really excellent start to your thread.

Compression and compromise is inevitable, looking at the plan,you have incoporated a lot of main features.

I take it you are running the layout on dc, or have you converted that 466 to dcc.

Your curved platform look great.

Thanks or sharing, looking forward to more progress.

Excellent looking layout. If using Peco components for the 3rd rail (and you haven't done it before), spray paint or chemically blacken the 3rd rail before sliding the pots on. If spray painting, go lightly, as sliding the pots on can remove the paint. Use a scrap of track or spare sleeper to find the right drill bit for drilling the holes for the pots (insulators). Go one size down with the drill bit and you can usually hold the insulators in place with an interference fit, rather than gluing... handy if you need to remove the 3rd rail again for any reason. Before installing the finished 3rd rail section, slide the pots along to approximately the correct position, and bend each rail end over slightly with pliers. A quick blast of white primer spray paint on the rail ends is an often-seen effect. If you've installed 3rd rail before, ignore the above, it will be a case of "been there, done that"! Good luck.

Cheers everyone, really appreciate the positive feedback!

I'm glad you liked the platforms - I must admit I was quite pleased with how they've turned out - it was something of a labour of love and they were built over a series of weeks. The surfaces were created by applying a thin coat of polyfilla onto mountcard - this dried to quite a stone like finish and appears to have tiny particles of grit in it which help to give a slightly rough texture. I then applied a uniform grey acrylic and airbrushed darker and lighter shades in the likely 'heavy traffic' areas. Finally, I hand painted various patches with lighter or darker shades to represent the usual repairs and patchwork appearance of old tarmac. Also found rubbing the surface with a cloth soaked in a very thin wash of darker colour seemed to work quite well.

Pete, thanks ever so much for the hints and tips re 3rd rail - I have laid some before but not a great deal, so your advice will definitely come in handy. Next stages are to finish the ballasting and track weathering, and then I hope to tackle some of the 3rd rail this weekend, if I can muster the motivation!

Thanks again to all for the kind comments, much appreciated.

• Like 2

Hi David,

Sorry forgot to answer your question - yes, the layout is purely DC at present. I have quite a fleet of Networker units so moving to DCC will be a mission! Whilst I like the benefits of DCC, I'm not altogether sold on it but I imagine I'll be moving over eventually!

I am a huge fan of your Dover Priory layout by the way; have been following the thread for some months now and I must say the level of detail you've achieved with it is amazing and inspirational! If my layout ends up being half as good as yours, I will be happy.

I only visited Sevenoaks station once, but thought at the time that it had great potential as a model.

The frequency of trains would keep any operator busy for one thing.

You have made great progress so far, and I agree that the platforms are superb. I have difficulty convincing myself the photos are not of the real thing.

I thought you might like a shot of the NSE days, when I was there for a few hours.

post-4474-0-55995700-1442430203_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 3

Hi Jonny, many thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated. 

That is an excellent pic - I really do like those class 319s, and they did look great in their original NSE livery! This shot is particularly interesting as it's one of the few I've seen that shows the newspapers platform and shelter. The platform itself is still there now, although the shelter is long gone. I think it was originally meant to allow papers to be taken straight off the train and onto a van standing alongside - shame this doesn't happen anymore.

You're absolutely right about the frequency of trains! - that was what interested me about the station, there are loads of passenger services but also a great variety of freight and departmental traffic, it's a bit like Tonbridge in that way. I did think about Tonbridge but somehow the station buildings at Sevenoaks seemed more inspiring!

• Like 1

For many years I lived in Orpington and used Sevenoks regularly. Before it was rebuilt Sevenoaks had an unusual layout in that it had four tracks a snow but SIX platforms ,the two outer most tracks having platforms either side..

The station buildings were typical southeastern wooden structures similar to those still found at Pluckley

In addition to the goods yard there were two sidings on the up side at the country end of the station used for vans.

I used to watch them being shunted in the late afternoon in the very early sixties by a Class 33 or an ED, but just before electrification a Class 24 was used on several occasions .

Excellent looking model .really looking forward to see its development .

I live in the wilds of East Kent now but still pass through Sevenoaks from time to time.

More power to your elbow

• Like 1

Thanks David :) indeed it does have quite an interesting history! I've studied quite a few photographs of the station before its reconstruction in the 1970s - I noticed the track layout of the junction was also simplified a great deal at some stage, as it used to be possible for trains to enter the Otford branch from all 4 platforms. The design of the current station itself is quite unique, I am surprised to be honest that it has survived until now with so little alteration, as the large expanse of metal siding is not to everyone's taste I'm sure! :)

Thanks David :) indeed it does have quite an interesting history! I've studied quite a few photographs of the station before its reconstruction in the 1970s - I noticed the track layout of the junction was also simplified a great deal at some stage, as it used to be possible for trains to enter the Otford branch from all 4 platforms. The design of the current station itself is quite unique, I am surprised to be honest that it has survived until now with so little alteration, as the large expanse of metal siding is not to everyone's taste I'm sure! :)

SHhhh !    :secret:

Edited by David Todd

Thank you very much, appreciate the kind comments on the track plan :) I enjoyed making it so probably got a bit carried away!

Here is the complete track plan 'as built' showing the 'behind the scenes' areas. It looks a bit chaotic (and it is) - but there is a method in the madness; not having enough room for 'roll on-roll off' sidings, I wanted the layout to have maximum operational flexibility so that trains could leave the station and then return to it from the opposite direction. The reverse loop allows that, although it gave me an awful headache when it came to the wiring - Brian Lambert was a huge help with this, and gave me some very useful pointers on isolating and switching. I am in his debt as I would still be scratching my head now without the benefit of his wisdom!

The strange shaped lines represent board breaks, which allow various sections to lift and fold out. This was essential because I need to get in and out of the room!

I'll post some shots of these areas if people are interested but as they are non-scenic, they are not terribly interesting! I'm toying with the idea of turning the sidings area into a 'Slade Green' type EMU depot, as a separate scenic section, although the density of track on the board doesn't leave very much space for anything else!

post-23547-0-41848400-1442441794_thumb.jpg

Edited by tjf4375

Sorry, not quite worked out how to use the 'quote' feature on this forum yet!

But to kintbury jon, yes it is custom 465 unit. It was built using some spare unpainted networker bodies and chassis parts. I have another one in Southeastern livery underway, but it takes ages and the parts are not easy to find.

post-23547-0-69597600-1442443524_thumb.jpg

• Like 19