Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

HELP! Point motors or Manual frame?

I hope the collective can help me with this. I run DCC for loco control but not sure what to do for point and signal control. I'm on the point were if I don't solve the dilemma shortly I will be in the muck as I have only 10 week be for the layout is at its first exhibition. I have used both manual rods attached to a block of wood before relining on the spring in the point, my old layout has H&M motors and I have tried PECO motors on an 0-9 micro layout with little success.

So the

question 1 is Point motors or Manual? 

question 2 if point motors is the answer which type

question 3 DCC control or analogue?

Question 4 if manual potential solutions

Help please

Marc

• RMweb Premium

Personally I prefer manual if the points are near the operating position, electric if not. I don't like DCC control of points because its too much button pressing.

On my OO layout the points in the station are manually operated (piano wire) while those in the fiddle yard are switched by Peco point motors. Despite my comment above, the fiddle yard points are DCC controlled, but I've set up macros, so 'macro 1' sets fiddle yard road 1, macro 2 road 2 etc. All frogs have their polarity changed by frog juicer - expensive but simple to install and reliable.

I've sent you a PM too.

.....I don't like DCC control of points because its too much button pressing.....

It doesn't have to involve "too much button pressing".

Some DCC systems are much easier to use than others in this regard, with very little button pressing. Others are not as well designed.

Also, DCC point and route control can also be carried out using ordinary switches, buttons or point levers if one so desires. e.g. from a mini lever frame or a mimic panel.

Even from a stud and probe panel, if you really wanted it.

Archived