Sound for a Hornby 08. Sound now fitted.

dasatcopthorne

Hi Guys.

Until now I've resisted fitting sound to the above but the time has come as we need an 08 on our layout.

I've got a Hornby loco and found that a Loksound v4 fits but what speakers fit please?

I've go a Sugar Cube but was hoping something larger and with better reproduction would slip in.

Cheers

Dave

I think you'll find a sugar cube speaker will be more than fine for an 08. They're excellent speakers.

I fitted 2 speakers to my 08, i put a QSI Mini Oval speaker behind the front grill and a sugar cube in the cab.

Hope that is of use.

Cheers

Jamie

I think you'll find a sugar cube speaker will be more than fine for an 08. They're excellent speakers.

I fitted 2 speakers to my 08, i put a QSI Mini Oval speaker behind the front grill and a sugar cube in the cab.

Hope that is of use.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

Where did you get the QSI from please?

Dave.

Digitrains sell QSI oval speakers.

Michael

We have used the Zimo sugarqubes on the Hornby 08, using 2 speakers makes it very loud, better loud and turn the volume down, than quiet and turn it up to maximum, they also have an enclosure so fitting is simple, just cut out a hole under the clip off grill.  The new ESU ones have multiple width enclosure housings to make up to the width that will fit within any model, its simple and effective.

Charlie

We have used the Zimo sugarqubes on the Hornby 08, using 2 speakers makes it very loud, better loud and turn the volume down, than quiet and turn it up to maximum, they also have an enclosure so fitting is simple, just cut out a hole under the clip off grill.  The new ESU ones have multiple width enclosure housings to make up to the width that will fit within any model, its simple and effective.

Charlie

post-3411-0-01407000-1442529075_thumb.jpg

post-3411-0-20964100-1442529110_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That backing panel looks to be a double width affair, do you have to snap it in half or is it designed as a baffle back to duct the sound pressure?

Is there a single size back panel included as well?

No you can buy various options with a single lid, a double lid or both.     Charlie

Hi Guys.

Until now I've resisted fitting sound to the above but the time has come as we need an 08 on our layout.

I've got a Hornby loco and found that a Loksound v4 fits but what speakers fit please?

I've go a Sugar Cube but was hoping something larger and with better reproduction would slip in.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for all the advice Guys.

Got my Biffo 08 Loksound V4 Micro fitted easily.

Then went for two Sugar Cubes. One in the cab affixed to the 'control desk' and one behind the radiator fitted tightly in a hole cut on the nose end bodywork.

This combination produces a lot of sound but once turned down to 110, the differing sounds came through loud and especially clear.

Once again. Brill stuff from Charlie and Biffo.

One thing though (sorry guys), how do you chose the type of door fitted? (Wood or Steel)

Highly recommended.

Dave

Dave,

It's always nice to hear from a 'satisfied customer', thank you.

From memory you adjust CV48 for the different door sounds. Set it to 0, turn the track power off and on again, then try the door slam sound and see if you get wood or metal (metal ones really clang). Then repeat the process but set CV48 to 1 instead. You should hear the difference straight away. It might be 0 & 1, or 1 & 2, but I think it's the former. I'll confirm later when I get to my PC. Once set it is 'remembered' by the chip through subsequent power offs.

Once you've made the wood / metal choice, you'll also notice that there are several different slam sounds (usually one gentle, one right good slam and one somewhere in the middle). I've set it so that one of these is chosen at random each time you press F6, just to make things a little more realistic.

Bif

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave

Is that a Bachmann or Hornby and have you got round to running yet?

In the middle of researching before making my decision on one for myself.

It's the Hornby version. which I consider to be much better than the Bachmann one. Especially regarding the pickups.

Yes, run it a lot and the Leggoman sounds are great.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Archived