RMweb

Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone.  Firstly, thank you, Mick, for more excellent and informative postings, especially the photo’ of the track being lifted and the level crossing removed at Hornsea Town, plus that photo’ of 45528, at Little Weighton, in early 1959, which is a remarkable sight.

This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see Gresley D49/1, 62710 "Lincolnshire" on the turntable at Botanic Gardens, in about August, 1952.

c.08/1952 - Botanic Gardens (53B) MPD, Hull, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

Saw it in Darlington north road scrapyard stripped down to its frames but it still had the Lincolnshire nameplates on

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

It may be my imagination, but this looks very much like a Black 5, rather than a Patriot (45528) to me?? 

Would agree that its.a Black 5.

Patriot 45528 had smoke deflectors and a double chimney.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Mick, for posting that superb photo’ of Cottingham, looking towards Hull, with No 2355, on the 25 August, 1948.

This evening, courtesy of John Law, on Flickr, we see 9116, at Springhead in 1948. No other information is available.

humb - lner 9116 springhead shed hull

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of John Turner, on Flickr, we see Doncaster shed's B1 4-6-0, 61135, as it eases away from Brough station and passes Brough West signal box with a Hull to Doncaster service, in August, 1960.

c.08/1960 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

On 09/08/2020 at 21:22, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening I have a photo’ by Woolwinder on Flickr, of 37161, at Nafferton, on the 25th August, 1979. It’s an up service of Mk1 stock, on the 14.02 Scarborough to Hull service.

8056977180_0102f4f838_k.jpgNafferton 37161 25 August 1979 by Woolwinder, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

My Great Great Grandfather George Oxendale was the signalman/porter for Nafferton station in the late Victorian period.  According to a newspaper article from 1879 that i unearthed at the Hull city archive; He witnessed a man step onto the crossing here from his signal box just as a Hull bound express went through and was killed instantly.   My GGGrandfather would also lose his life whilst on duty at this very location one dark January evening in 1886.  He was found dead with his neck broken lying in the coal cells on the other side of this very wall pictured.  It was conjecture that whilst extinguishing the lamps in the semaphore signal gantry out of view to the left before going off duty, he slipped and fell to his death.  Very dangerous place the permanent way.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Contractors loco', said to be at Alexandra Dock, no other details.

H&B 11  Lucas & Aird loco 'Harold' possibly used at Alex. Dock cty Brian Cowther.jpg

Manning Wardle? Possibly 1829 of 1872?

Edit: 1829/1872 is quoted in a list I found of contractor's locos, but seems out of place in the MW list i.e. the number is too large for the build date of 1872. 

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mick, for posting that excellent photo’ of Sandholme. Please post more when you are able to.

This evening, courtesy of John Turner and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, we see B1, 61065, as it heads an up freight at Brough comprising Presflo wagons from Earles Cement works, in January, 1964.

c.01/1964 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see Thompson B1, 4-6-0, 61016, Inyala, which has the right of way at Brough, with a Hull bound service, on the 20th June, 1963.

c.1960 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S. Now, the footbridge, at Beverley station, is a bit further on with it’s work today. I took this photo’ earlier on today.

IMG_4562_Original.jpeg.d60e3d235d0af38f02ddc99258060bdd.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of John Turner, and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, we see York allocated Gresley V2 2-6-2, 60941, as it heads away from Brough with a westbound fitted express freight, on the 25th July, 1963.

25/07/1963 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mick, for that excellent photo’ of Dairycoates West signalbox, and LMS 5305 about to pass over Bridge 5A, on a the 14th July, 1979.

This evening, thanks to John Turner, and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, we see an unidentified WD 2-8-0 'Austerity' at Brough with a van train for Hull, in June 1959.

06/1959 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mick, for that sad photo’ of Springhead just before it’s demolition. It’s sad but of interest to see it in those final days.

This evening, courtesy of John Turner, and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, we see Ex-LNER Gresley class V3, rebuilt from class V1 in 1956, 2-6-2T, 67663, at Hull Paragon, on the 20th February, 1960.

20/02/1960 - Hull Paragon.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16