Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JeffP said:

Is the first photo really 2000?

Was it some sort of preservation photo opportunity?

It was a dockside photo charters that were in vogue in the early 2000s  before port security was increased in the UK.

IIRC the same group organsed and event at Goole using the Pug based on the Worth Valley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, john new said:

I thought petrol tanks were the silver one’s that needed barrier wagons, the black carried the less volatile products like tar/bitumen and without need for barrier wagons. Can someone please confirm?

That is correct, the cars in the photo are actually of the black variety, guess you can class the contents "Petroleum Products" as opposed to petrol.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Simon Lee said:

It was a dockside photo charters that were in vogue in the early 2000s  before port security was increased in the UK.

Yes, the shipping equivalent of the aviation industry's increased security, the ISPS Code, came in at the end of 2001, shortly after the 9/11 atrocities.

mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, we have three photo’s by knoxrj, on Flickr, and one by John Turner, on Flickr.

The first one is of class V2, 2-6-2, 60946, at Scarborough, on a departing extra train in the mid 1950’s.

The second photo’ is of another class V2, 2-6-2, 60947, on the climb up Enthorpe bank, from Market Weighton, again in the mid 1950’s.

Thirdly, we have a photo’ of D17/2, 1910, on a local train from Bridlington, near Cottingham South Junction, in c1935.

D17 1910

Finally, here’s a photo’ of Dairycoates allocated WD "Austerity" 2-8-0, 90352, as it shunts Shell / BP 35T, GLW,petroleum tank wagons at Saltend, in c1967.

c.1967 - Saltend, Hull, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MarkC said:

Yes, the shipping equivalent of the aviation industry's increased security, the ISPS Code, came in at the end of 2001, shortly after the 9/11 atrocities.

mark

Couldnt remember the initials of the code I was thinking about when I posted earlier.

I and a few others had permits for all the Humber Ports at the time, IIRC we got a years grace then they were withdrawn.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/12/2023 at 09:46, john new said:

I thought petrol tanks were the silver one’s that needed barrier wagons, the black carried the less volatile products like tar/bitumen and without need for barrier wagons. Can someone please confirm?

He did say 'petroleum' not petrol - pedantic bit there but is a difference because 'petroleum' covers a range of UN numbers, Hazchem codes, and flash points.   Those actually look like Class B cars so might be ok .

The Regulations regarding barrier wagons changed quite alot over the years so you need a date for any particular set of Regulations and instructions and i don;t have time now to go through it all over a long period if years sorry (dinner is calling!!!)

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

He did say 'petroleum' not petrol - pedantic bit there but is a difference because 'petroleum' covers a range of UN numbers, Hazchem codes, and flash points.   Those actually look like Class B cars so might be ok .

The Regulations regarding barrier wagons changed quite alot over the years so you need a date for any particular set of Regulations and instructions and i don;t have time now to go through it all over a long period if years sorry (dinner is calling!!!)

Those are lagged tanks so will be used for products which require to be kept warmish. Coming from Salted they could be Gas Oil, Methanol,  Isopropanol or Isopropyl Acetate.

Al Taylor

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2023 at 22:38, 45125 said:

Those are lagged tanks so will be used for products which require to be kept warmish. Coming from Salted they could be Gas Oil, Methanol,  Isopropanol or Isopropyl Acetate.

Al Taylor

Gas Oil possibly but Methanol, Isopropyl Acetate and Isopropanol do not need to be kept warm.  Indeed due to their flammability it is preferable to keep them at ambient temperature.  Or perhaps lagged tanks were used to keep cold material below ambient temperatures.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Gas Oil possibly but Methanol, Isopropyl Acetate and Isopropanol do not need to be kept warm.  Indeed due to their flammability it is preferable to keep them at ambient temperature.  Or perhaps lagged tanks were used to keep cold material below ambient temperatures.

Those items were conveyed at one time in those tanks. Some other odd items were conveyed from Saltend in lagged tanks, even the 'vinegar ' tanks had lagging on them, remember rerriveting some of the panels back on them when an apprentice as well as other jobs on those tanks

• Informative/Useful 4

48 minutes ago, Market65 said:

The second photo’ is a shot of EB1 No 10, at Beverley Cherry Tree, in what will be the 1930’s. The Golden Ball Brewery can be seen to the left

This is Y1 No 100, 106 or 108 (the third digit being obscured by the buffer), a Sentinel steam shunter rather than an electric engine.

On 15/12/2023 at 19:20, Market65 said:

Next we have a photo’ of class D24, 2429, at Springhead Works. No date is given, but it is probably again the 1930’s

This photo appears in volume 3 of Brian Stephenson's 'LNER Album', credited to T E Rounthwaite.  The date is given as February 10 1934, the engine being in store shortly before being withdrawn.

D

Edited by Darryl Tooley
Punctuation
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Market65 said:

Next here’s a photo’ of class B1, 61009, Hartebeeste, at Botanic Gardens, in possibly the late 1940’s.

An interesting photo; the first 10 B1s were initially numbered 8301-10, being renumbered 1000-9 in 1946, and photographs of them with their original number are few and far between.

According to 'Yeadon's Register' vol 6, No 8310 entered traffic in June 1944 and became No 1009 in March 1946.  However, it was transferred from Neville Hill to Parkeston in January 1945, after which it was a deal less likely to have been seen in Hull, I should have thought.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Market65 said:

The next photo’ is of the well recorded railtour train, with class D49/1, 62731, Selkirkshire, on the approach to Sledmere, on the 23rd June, 1957.

Now, is that signal properly off or on - this photo’ has puzzled me for some time. I suspect it is off…

D49 62731 SelkirkshireCould it just be that the photographer clicked the camera shutter whilst the signal was still being pulled to the full off position?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2