LNER Teak Coach Lining

Hi all,

I have over quite a time now been making an adding to a set of Kirk Gresley Coaches

I am pretty pleased with the teak effect I can get, sorry the photos below are not great.

However I am still in two minds about the lining. I originally did it in yellow but it just didn't look right. In fact in many pictures of preserved teak coaches and even more so on the colour pictures from the 20s and 30s you simply can't see the lining at all when the coaches are in service and a bit grubby.

Currently I just have just lined them with a light brown but I do think some indication of the lining might be good. What do others use as a lining colour. Bright yellow is out. Also just as an aside I bought a tin of Humbrol Ochre to try that but its the third humbrol enamel in a row that is an unusable gloop so I am giving up on those paints altogether.

The all first has been flush glazed neither have the roof stuck down.

post-12639-0-38060100-1443266682_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-03978500-1443266699_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Phil

• Like 1

What precise period are you modelling, Phil?  LNER coach lining varied form 'full' to 'none', depending on the period.  Roofs were generally painted grey (from white) during WWII, when lining was pretty much dropped altogether. Some main line stock (but by no means all) was re-lined after the war but roofs usually reverted to white at the same time.  It didn't last long though as when nationalisation happened roofs quickly became grey again (but a darker shade than during the war), solebars ('teak' paint during LNER days) became black and lining once again disappeared altogether, although lettering often remained in LNER style for a while, often with numbers or even just prefixes/suffixes in BR style on the same vehicle. Many remained in teak like this until scrapped

Having said all that, I have used Humbrol 74 yellow in the past for lining, toned down with the TINYEST drop of pale grey (I think that was Humbrol 1).

Here are three of mine in early BR days, sans-lining.

post-14917-0-51504600-1443286938_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-47695600-1443286939_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-39692700-1443286940_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely weathering on those coaches there. I am modelling the 1930s so as Mike says it should be primrose. However in model form I find yellow too much particularly when the rest of the coach is weathered. It does seem in photos the lining is very hard to make out so maybe better off left off

That's a fair point Phil.  Sometimes we modellers forget that if you look at a prototype coach from much more than say, 10 yards away, it's pretty difficult to see the lining anyway. And in scale terms, most model trains on layouts are viewed from much further away than this.

Thanks for the kind comments on my own coaches, although in fairness I have to confess that they are Hornby versions - so I already had a fairly decent starting point....although I actually painstakingly removed all the Hornby yellow lining before picking out individual panels in varying shades of Precision Paints 'teak'. The weathering in the panel/door joints, etc., is my own recipe 'gloop' made up from artist's oil pastels. I paint the entire finished coach side with this stuff (turning the whole side almost completely black in the process - scary) and then wipe it off again after about a minute or so, using cotton buds, brushes and rags, so that it settle into the corners and crevices, where it dries permanently overnight. It seems to give the right effect anyway.

Here's one of Hornby's 'suburbans', given the same treatment -- but rather more so, as I wanted this one to look a bit dilapidated and worn out.

Incidentally, yours look very nice from where I'm sitting. You have captured that rather elusive (in model form) 'look' very well indeed!  Excellent stuff.

- Don Mason

post-14917-0-94398400-1443290904_thumb.jpg

Edited by orford

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I have over quite a time now been making an adding to a set of Kirk Gresley Coaches

I am pretty pleased with the teak effect I can get, sorry the photos below are not great.

However I am still in two minds about the lining. I originally did it in yellow but it just didn't look right. In fact in many pictures of preserved teak coaches and even more so on the colour pictures from the 20s and 30s you simply can't see the lining at all when the coaches are in service and a bit grubby.

Currently I just have just lined them with a light brown but I do think some indication of the lining might be good. What do others use as a lining colour. Bright yellow is out. Also just as an aside I bought a tin of Humbrol Ochre to try that but its the third humbrol enamel in a row that is an unusable gloop so I am giving up on those paints altogether.

The all first has been flush glazed neither have the roof stuck down.

attachicon.gifteak 3rd.jpg

attachicon.gifteak 1st.jpg

Thanks

Phil

You've done a nice job of painting the teak, Phil!  I've made a few LNER coaches in the past from Kirk kits, and only put on a cream line to represent the lining - I didn't bother with the red.

Most recently I've used Railmatch BR Coach Cream and found it flowed nicely from a bow pen, without needing to be thinned at all.

post-31-0-60812000-1443346857.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Don, glad you like it!

Rather than hijack this thread, may I refer you to post 6 on this one:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76979-lets-see-your-teak-coaches/

where I put up some pictures of a few of my teak coaches, and (post 15, lower down) added some notes regarding their construction.

All the best,

Steve

If you look at photos of restored teak coaches it is plain that the lining emphasises the highlights on the beading, as with these photos from the SVR:

DSC_0005%20small.jpg

Even when the carriage is ready for re-varnishing:

DSC_0006%20small.jpg

As for the fine lines outside the primrose lining, compare the two coaches:

43600%20small.jpg

2701%20small.jpg

The first is a LNER coach with red outlines while the second is GNR with blue outline. I see a definite difference in the lining of these coaches, with the red outlines enhancing the primrose lining making it warmer and more yellow, while the blue outlines makes the primrose look cooler, and slightly greener. While I would agree that painting the fine outlines would be an impossible task in 4mm scale, it should not be too difficult to modify the lining colours to incorporate the perceived differences in colours that the fine outlines produce. 

• Like 3

• 6 years later...

Can anyone advise on current colours for lining a teak coach. Especially matching Hornby's 'yellow' lining on the teaks. There is a small 'nick' in one of my coaches that I would like to touch up. 

Phoenix Hicks Primrose is discontinued... :-(

What are the close alternatives?

Thanks