Skinley Drawing source

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I'm looking for a current source for the old 'Skinley' drawings, though I'm after the ships rather than railway items, and my last address (Sussex Modeller) isn't responding to e-mail queries. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

I spoke to Phil recently, the drawings have been put into safe storage for future use with no current plans to archive or digitally convert them due to them being large blueprint masters. I guess the scanning costs would be too much to make it economical to do so.

This makes me think of Indiana Jones, and that vast warehouse of 'lost' treasures. Even offering them to the British Library would leave them accessible (i'm currently looking for some old 1911 Hobbies Weekly articles through them).

• RMweb Premium

This makes me think of Indiana Jones, and that vast warehouse of 'lost' treasures. Even offering them to the British Library would leave them accessible (i'm currently looking for some old 1911 Hobbies Weekly articles through them).

It is indeed a problem, but aside from paper based material or microfiche, what about electronic formats? How many of us have access to audio cassette playing machines, or floppy disc drives, VHS or Beta players, or even CD/DVD's are becoming less common. Then there are even more obscure formats, such as 8 track stereo, etc. Loads of archive material gets dumped now, as everyone wants to store 'digitally', to save physical space. Do they upgrade it to more recent formats?

Recently NASA wanted to find out what happened to the originals of the Moon Landings & found that the recordings had been erased & reused! What could be more important than that archive?

Fortunately they found copies, including some illegal copies in Australia!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/07/20/us-nasa-tapes-idUSTRE56F5MK20090720

The US needs to think carefully about the long term implications of anti-piracy laws. My understanding is that many forms of digital downloads are a pay to view arrangement, which times out & cannot be copied. So if the seller doesn't keep a copy, then a product is GONE forever.

• RMweb Premium

Phil Brice offered them to the HMRS which has decided in principle to buy them. However, I don't think they have actually moved yet and it may not happen or may be some time so you will need to be patient. Watch the HMRS website for an announcement when/if it happens. Even once they are at Butterley it may be a while before there are resources to sort them and make them available. I don't think the idea of buying them was that there would be vast sales but that they are of historic interest.

Jonathan David

Archived