Last steam locomotive built for British Railways

Mr Brunel

Hello all,

A thought occurs to me: No. 92220 Evening Star (built in March 1960) is usually considered the final steam locomotive built for British Railways. However, I recently found that 'WC' No. 34104 Bere Alston was rebuilt at Eastleigh in 1961 (the last Bulleid Pacific to undergo the process).

So - could it be argued that Bere Alston was in fact the last BR steam locomotive built? I suppose this would depend on whether you define the rebuilding of the Bulleid Pacifics as genuine rebuilding or a case of building new locomotives while incorporating existing components.

I look forward to getting some opinions...

Hello all,

A thought occurs to me: No. 92220 Evening Star (built in March 1960) is usually considered the final steam locomotive built for British Railways. However, I recently found that 'WC' No. 34104 Bere Alston was rebuilt at Eastleigh in 1961 (the last Bulleid Pacific to undergo the process).

So - could it be argued that Bere Alston was in fact the last BR steam locomotive built? I suppose this would depend on whether you define the rebuilding of the Bulleid Pacifics as genuine rebuilding or a case of building new locomotives while incorporating existing components.

I look forward to getting some opinions...

I don't think so. The rebuild really just took the cladding off and replaced the valve gear. 

Ed

To be fair, many of the 'rebuilds' that railways produced in earlier times (and the GWR was particularly guilty here) were rebuilds only in accountancy terms – that is to say that the only thing reused was the number. But the Bulleid pacific were much less drastic than that as edcayton says.

Archived