A fictional region in the North West of England. A dad & son 00 gauge garage layout. THIS LAYOUT HAS ENDED. THANKS EVERYONE.

Powerhaul 70 Pey

While the missus went having her hair cut we went up into the attic to run some trains.  My little lad wanted to give his Flying Scotsman a run so here are a few pictures of his rail tour.

post-25512-0-92481600-1456081863_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-30062800-1456081997_thumb.jpg

Not too sure if there's too much rock face now!  Here's a Freightliner intermodal train.  I do like this Freightliner wagon that I got the little lad for christmas.  It looks great on the layout.

post-25512-0-09753900-1456082374_thumb.jpg

Here's the train passing the Lafarge Tarmac quarry workings.

post-25512-0-28199600-1456082050_thumb.jpg

Passing the camera and heading towards the the tunnel

post-25512-0-93034500-1456082142_thumb.jpg

Here the train is about to enter the tunnel

post-25512-0-92764700-1456082319_thumb.jpg

A Virgin Pendolino service is follows a few minutes later.

post-25512-0-31314500-1456082501_thumb.jpg

Another pic of the Freightliner wagon as it negotiates it's way through the town center.

post-25512-0-71791800-1456082580_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone!

• Like 7

May I ask a quick question or two: I think you said you use the Metcalfe kits.  I assume the above is a viaduct - however do you cut the height to suit your level.  Also how do you do the interior elements shops - do you use red brick sheets initially and cut to shape and glue from the back?

• Like 1

May I ask a quick question or two: I think you said you use the Metcalfe kits.  I assume the above is a viaduct - however do you cut the height to suit your level.  Also how do you do the interior elements shops - do you use red brick sheets initially and cut to shape and glue from the back?

Hello John the viaduct with the shops within the arches are made from two kits, the stone viaduct kit and the low relief shop fronts kit.  I basically just used the shop fronts and fitted them to some metcalfe red brick and like you say, cut to shape and glued from the back.  Although some of the shop fronts I made myself from spare parts kept from other Metcalfe kits . . . . I don't throw much away!  Yes the viaduct was cut to suit the height of the track bed so it created at retaining wall for the station above it.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.  There hasn't been any updates for a while because the layout is being dismantled as we are moving house later this year.  Most of the buildings and track can be salvaged as they are just in position and not glued down.  However, the scenery will have to be binned.  Its not all bad news though as when we do move house the new layout will be in the garage so no roof trusses to make life difficult.  Only problem is now to get some new ideas for the new layout!  I am not too sure what room I will have available.  Thanks for looking and commenting on this attic layout everyone and I hope to have a new topic on this website later on in the year as I start a new layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Damn!  Another layout cut down in the prime of life.

Oh well a house move has to take priority . . . I guess.  My wife is concerned I will never contemplate moving again because of my train room.

Good luck with the move and the rebirth of the layout.

• 1 month later...

Even though this layouts life has come to an end it hasn't stopped me buying new locos for when we move house and build a new layout.  Here is our Bachmann class 37 in DRS livery 37405.  I have not bought a DCC decoder for it yet but I have given it a run around the layout in analogue mode.

post-25512-0-85587400-1468095444_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-55066700-1468095469_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-48488600-1468095490_thumb.jpg

As you can see the layout is slowly being packed away and soon will be dismantled.  I will probably keep all the boards and legs for the new layout. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Even though this layouts life has come to an end it hasn't stopped me buying new locos for when we move house and build a new layout.  Here is our Bachmann class 37 in DRS livery 37405.  I have not bought a DCC decoder for it yet but I have given it a run around the layout in analogue mode.

attachicon.gifIMAG3032.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG3034.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG3038.jpg

As you can see the layout is slowly being packed away and soon will be dismantled.  I will probably keep all the boards and legs for the new layout. 

I look forward to seeing the new layout.

The Bachmann DRS Compass 37405 model is fantastic! I bought three of those and renumbered two to 419 and 425 and kept one as the original 405. I also bought the Limited Edition 402 and I already had the Limited Edition 409. So I have now got a fleet of five Class 37/4s. Their fantastic for test trains, nuclear flask trains, Cumbrian and Anglian loco hauled trains, engineers, charters and rail tours and more!

Just out of interest what engineers wagons is 405 pulling in the third photo?

Thank you in advance.

• RMweb Premium

I think I am going to get a DRS class 68 next. That's an impressive fleet of class 37's you have there! I'm pretty sure it's a rake of 9 MHA EWS livery wagons it's pulling out the sidings with.

Definitely!

I'm really looking forward to the Class 68s now! Are you going to buy a DRS liveried Class 68? For just over £100 per 405 model their fantastic. I'm really pleased with the detailing adding to the wheel sets and bogies. Thank you for letting me know about the engineers wagons. They look really good and I haven't got any of those yet. Possibly something to add to my wish list.

• 2 months later...

Glad to see that someone else has modelled the Wigan area!! What will the new layout be based upon? I'm modelling Wigan Wallgate in modern image if you want to check it out

Your layout looks brilliant so far. I am not too sure what to do yet until i see exactly what space I have. May well be based on wigan again with some other places of interest that I have seen/visited. Who knows! As soon as we move and work starts I will start a new thread or just continue with this one. Thanks for looking.

Your layout looks brilliant so far. I am not too sure what to do yet until i see exactly what space I have. May well be based on wigan again with some other places of interest that I have seen/visited. Who knows! As soon as we move and work starts I will start a new thread or just continue with this one. Thanks for looking.

I look forward to seeing it either way! Hey, maybe you could work springs branch in there somehow!!! And thanks, my layout is just awaiting arrival of the C&L Finescale track

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. If there is anyone still following this thread the house move is finally complete and I have one half of a double garage. The layout boards are nearely complete and it is 8ft by 14 foot. It's 2ft bigger each way than my old attic layout which means probably more track and longer trains ££££££££. I will try and post some photos soon.

Thanks

Peter

Edited by Powerhaul 70 Pey
  • Like 5

So as I said the house move is complete and the base boards are done.  The layout is 8ft by 14ft.  The station area is slightly different now with with the two bay platforms like Wigan North Western that will be long enough for my class 150 DMU or light engines to stable.  Again I have decided to do the relief of the layout by raising and lowering the boards rather than doing inclines on the track work itself.  Here is a photo of the station area were the boards will be cut to the shape of the track at the rear of the photo to create a "Red Bank" kind of area.  Red Bank is a popular photographic spot on the WCML in Newton Le Willows in Warrington.

post-25512-0-17283500-1479759274_thumb.jpg

Here is another photo of the general layout boards.

post-25512-0-85383500-1479759700_thumb.jpg

On my old layout I had a two track quarry siding, a coal siding and a container siding.  On this layout I was going to have a visible yard, say 4 or 5 tracks to stable wagons and trains and a 2/3 road service depot if I have room.  Then I will see what room I have left to do a quarry siding or aggregate terminal.  I have used all my track that I had off my old layout so need to buy what extra I need to complete the track.

• Like 6

Wow that is seriously back to square 1, but some track down is a good start..  Looks like a very large empty space, so you have been very self conttroled witht he layout size ;-)  But I bet it is nice now not to having to deal with roof rafters any more?

It looks like quite a crawl to get to the central operating hole, or is that just the photo angle?

Hello it really is a new start in the garage. Yes the roof rafters were very hard to negotiate in the attic so it is nice to not have them in the way anymore. It is a crawl to get to the center but to be honest that is just for access for modelling so I can reach the back of the layout. I will control locos from the outside the boards. This photo is from a few days ago and may look a bit large and empty on these photos but believe me I am struggling for space already! A 4/5 track yard soon eats away at space. I will try and post some more pics soon.

• Like 2