A fictional region in the North West of England. A dad & son 00 gauge garage layout. THIS LAYOUT HAS ENDED. THANKS EVERYONE.

Powerhaul 70 Pey

1st update of the year.  Slow progress as per usual but done a bit of work on the rural section of the layout.

Here's the tunnel  with a bit of a cutting landscaped.

post-25512-0-43110600-1452896500_thumb.jpg

Approximate layout of the farm yard.

post-25512-0-23754000-1452896579_thumb.jpg

A bit further down the road from the farm are some houses, a church and a school.

post-25512-0-16695200-1452896665_thumb.jpg

The church yard.  Just need some trees.

post-25512-0-11245800-1452896706_thumb.jpg

A street view.

post-25512-0-44444800-1452896766_thumb.jpg

On the station I have cut out the retaining wall on platform 1 and installed a section of fencing so more of the train can be seen from street level as demonstrated by a Freightliner 66.  Could do with taking a photo from street level to show the effect better.

post-25512-0-51988100-1452896970_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Fantastic layout and I love the look and feel of the various zones. Looks like a great layout to both play trains and watch them go by. Also fab to have the young lad involved!

Very impressed with your rock face and how life like it looks.

Unless I have missed it what is the layout size and what type of track have you used as it looks like Setrack in places ?

I shall be following with great interest.

Fantastic layout and I love the look and feel of the various zones. Looks like a great layout to both play trains and watch them go by. Also fab to have the young lad involved!

Very impressed with your rock face and how life like it looks.

Unless I have missed it what is the layout size and what type of track have you used as it looks like Setrack in places ?

I shall be following with great interest.

Thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated, especially when you start to have second thoughts and new ideas as things progress.  All the track work is standard Hornby stuff.  In the future I will be ballasting and possibly weathering the track.  I will have to have some practice runs first though!  

If I remember rightly the layout is 12 foot long and 6 foot wide.  2 1/2 foot wide station side and 2 foot wide industrial side leaving an 18 inch gap to get in the middle and do some work.  I am quite happy to have the track completed even though I have considered altering it to incorporate a fiddle yard but with 4 tracks through the station, 2 quarry sidings, a coal siding and a container yard siding we should have enough room to park up some trains/locos.

On my wish list for future purchases:-

A class 37 (possibly Bachmann DRS)

A class 68 in DRS livery

A Colas class 70

A Colas class 56

I am not going to rush into anything though because as soon as I got my hands on some HHA coal hoppers for our Freightliner 66/70 coal went into a serious decline.

Here's a few photos of the station area after putting down some tarmac sheets for the roads.  The arches under the station.  I need to have an experiment with road markings and make some curbs for the footpath.  Also a little work to do on the arches further down the line in the photo but overall, happy with the look.

post-25512-0-83588600-1453749818_thumb.jpg

The other side to the arches is the station front with the fence installed after removing some of the wall.

post-25512-0-24632900-1453749930_thumb.jpg

Another angle

post-25512-0-23103400-1453750007_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-24446000-1453750043_thumb.jpg

More updates this week hopefully!

• Like 1

Here's a few photos of the station area after putting down some tarmac sheets for the roads.  The arches under the station.  I need to have an experiment with road markings and make some curbs for the footpath.  Also a little work to do on the arches further down the line in the photo but overall, happy with the look.

attachicon.gifIMAG2487.jpg

The other side to the arches is the station front with the fence installed after removing some of the wall.

attachicon.gifIMAG2492.jpg

Another angle

attachicon.gifIMAG2496.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG2498.jpg

hi peter you need a tree on the front of the station in between the station building & the bridge

hi peter you need a tree on the front of the station in between the station building & the bridge

Hello bamfurlongtmd, you are quite right I do need a nice tree in that position!  For those who have never seen Wigan North Western Station here is a photo below.

post-25512-0-23392400-1453757653_thumb.jpg

Like I say, it's just a crude representation of our nearest mainline station as you can see from the photos.  I made it myself from scratch with some Metcalfe building sheets and some left over parts from other Metcalfe kits.  I wanted a station that my son could relate to when we are running some trains.  The area is not finished yet but I am quite happy with how it looks.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  Not too much to update you on but I have done a little more landscaping around the farm area.  I have put some gravel down in the yard and done a bit more on the cutting/hillside, making a wall and installing some wooden fencing.

post-25512-0-74001900-1454449655_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-43378100-1454449678_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-33904000-1454449703_thumb.jpg

I have also made some trees from scratch.  The materials I used were 3 to 4 pieces of electrical wire taped together, spreading out each individual strand of wire to create branches.  Then spray painted black.  Then cut some small pieces of plaster cloth and wrapped it around the trunk and big branches.  Then painted with dark brown acrylic paint.  Then dipped in glue and foliage sprinkled on the branches . . . . . .and here's the results.  Not fixed in place, just balanced against the wall so I could take a few photos.  I bought a pack of 3 ages ago from a model shop and basically this is how they were made and they cost around £10.  

post-25512-0-32175700-1454449970_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-15145000-1454449991_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-80445200-1454450009_thumb.jpg

I think I am going to make some more of these as I like how they have turned out.  I have made 5 so far for a few quid and still got loads of materials left to make more and they didn't take long to do from start to finish.

• Like 2

Nice looking work Peter,  I particularly like your impressive reproduction of the flooded River Douglas  :lol:  :lol: . Oh sorry that's a smoky glass table it's sitting on -   errr isnt it ? 

Seriously that whole farm area looks great the trees and the brambles below on the other side of the wall

Kevan

• Like 2

attachicon.gifIMAG2487.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG2492.jpg

Another angle

attachicon.gifIMAG2496.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG2498.jpg

looks great has a real west coast feel to it love the class 66

I like your compliment of trains; I live over nr stockport, so nr the west coast mainline.  Was looking at what freight trains actually came through - I've seen Freighliner but not sure on Colas and EWS but I'm starting to purchase trains that run on the line. I've picked up the Bachmann, Class 150/2 Northern and will get the Pendalino shortly but want  to get a couple of freight trains from the current era - preferably two of the same livery.  What would you recommend ?

I like your compliment of trains; I live over nr stockport, so nr the west coast mainline.  Was looking at what freight trains actually came through - I've seen Freighliner but not sure on Colas and EWS but I'm starting to purchase trains that run on the line. I've picked up the Bachmann, Class 150/2 Northern and will get the Pendalino shortly but want  to get a couple of freight trains from the current era - preferably two of the same livery.  What would you recommend ?

There's quite a bit of freight that runs through Stockport.  You could get Freightliner class 66, 86, 90 or 70 and run some container trains i.e to and from Trafford Park arriving and departing from various destinations around the country.  There is also aggregate traffic that is DB Schenker hauled, 66's or 60's used at traction power hauling bogie boxes or recently they have stared to use the coal hoppers for aggregate.  I would love to get my hands on a GBRF class 66 and some of those limited edition Drax wagons that are seen on the Drax - Liverpool Biomass Terminal circuit.  However, I already have two 66's and I wouldn't get another without part exchanging either my Freightliner or Colas 66.  There's also some "binliner trains that are hauled by Freightliner 66's but I am not sure which wagons you could use.

After working on this rural part of the layout at night downstairs I was relieved that it JUST went up through the attic hatch with the help of the missus this morning!!  Here it is placed on the layout.  Still alot of work to do though!

Overhead views

post-25512-0-49893600-1454870847_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-22384100-1454870931_thumb.jpg

A sunny morning on the farm.  Wish I had put some livestock in the field for a pic though.

post-25512-0-58270200-1454871012_thumb.jpg

I am pleased with these home made trees and I don't think I will be buying any from shops or internet.  I've got 9 so far, easy and cheap to make.  Below is a photo of the trees at the wire stage.

post-25512-0-52532200-1454871164_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

First time I've come across this topic but I really like the layout and the detail you've put into it. Must admit I did wonder where the canal came from until Katwigan pointed out it was a glass table haha.

thanks I just got myself a Bachmann Class 66 - Colas; great loco - only a basic Bachmann decoder in it at present. Love the Cab lighting - which apparently the new freightliner model wont have!

Is the new Freightliner model 66416 in the new powerhaul livery?  Yes the colas loco is very nice.  I think my next purchase will be a DRS loco, possibly wait for the 68 to come out then it won't look out of place hauling my intermodal or ballast wagons.  Looking on Real Time Trains website earlier it looks like Stockport is a decent place to go and see some freight action on the Manchester spur of the West Coast Main Line. 

I'm not sure on the new livery. Just seen it in the Bachmann 2016 list. I'd like to get a fleet of either colas or freighliner (or both) classes although I don't like the look of the 70s - damned ugly. I'm going to get a sound chip at some point for the 66. Not even tried my Northern 150/2 as yet - but purchased it as it's now out of stock/discontinued.

Working on getting the pendalino shortly - does it have to be chipped front and rear?

I've got a 150 dmu and it is a really nice model and a smooth runner. The pendolino we have was a train set that was already dcc fitted with a chip in either end, although the dummy end chip is just for lights. The Bachmann 70 is also a fantastic model and to be honest I really like 70's as they are a bit unconventional in their appearance but also sound good. In photographs, from certain angles they look a beast of a machine.

One quick question, where is best to get a look sound decoder pre programmed?

I have no idea I am afraid.  I have only got 2 sound locos, one class 60 that came DCC sound fitted from the factory and one Flying scotsman with TTS sound from the factory.  I am sure someone else would be able to assist you though.