The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What? QI? Tell me its not true.

jonny777

Stephen Fry has quit QI after the new series which starts tomorrow (Friday).

Apparently Sandi Toksvig is taking over for the second half of the alphabet.

I'm sure she will be just as entertaining, but it just won't be the same.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting fact, Qi was intended to be two teams led by Stephen Fry and Alan Davies with a 'guest' presenter. There is pressure on the BBC at the moment with regard to the mostly male presenters on such programs and I hope that this is not the case here.

• RMweb Premium

Stephen Fry has admitted many times that what we see on screen with QI is mostly an act. While he is not stupid, Stephen readily admits its only because of the QI researchers that he appears such a clever clogs and its not unknown for them to pause the recording if the show if a panellists answer requires some immediate research before Fry can prise or rubbish it to camera. Stephen himself admits he has learnt an awful lot through the show (in common with many of us regular viewers) and is level of knowledge has increased significantly since the first series.

That said he is an intelligent Gent and his general manor lends himself to being the chair and the schoolmaster to Alan Davies mischievous antics.

As to Stephens replacement, she hasn't done to badly as a panellist before on the show and its not impossible for her to recreate the schoolmistress / cheeky pupil act with Alan so I would be wary of dismissing her out of hand. Certainly there are worse candidates.....

We have a similar problem to Top Gear here. TG=Clarkson, QI=Fry. Now it may be they can pull off a new presenter (they did it on 'Clue with Jack Dee, but that is on the radio), and I guess it may be worth trying a few. Dara O'Brien comes to mind, but he seems occupied elsewhere.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Have I Got News For You used to be the Angus Deyton / Paul Merton / Ian Hislop show until Angus disgraced himself and it started turning into 'Extract the urine from Angus' show. We'll get used to QI without Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Well that's QI down the pan with that appalling woman fronting it, she can't even be funny without slagging off someone or other. 

Mike, I can't agree with you use of the words 'that appalling woman'. You might not agree with her 'schtick', but I think that is a little strong for an entertainer. 

We have a similar problem to Top Gear here. TG=Clarkson, QI=Fry. Now it may be they can pull off a new presenter (they did it on 'Clue with Jack Dee, but that is on the radio), and I guess it may be worth trying a few. Dara O'Brien comes to mind, but he seems occupied elsewhere.

Ed

'Clue was never the same since the passing of Willie Rushton....

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I can't agree with you use of the words 'that appalling woman'. You might not agree with her 'schtick', but I think that is a little strong for an entertainer. 

Sorry but actually I was trying to be restrained - I find her both extremely irritating (she can't help that of course, no doubt we all irritate someone at sometime)  but I'm afraid her brand of 'humour' where she pokes fun, sometimes  inaccurately and frequently with extreme political bias, at her targets (who have no chance of reply) is no better than a heavily biased conversation among ordinary folk who don't have humour in mind at all.  We are entitled to our views, and to express them, whatever or whoever the subject, but being paid to broadcast them is something quite different and in my book her snide comments long ago ceased to pass as humour.  Hence I long ago gave up listening to what had once been a very good programme on R4, she totally ruined it for me - as she does anything else she appears on.

And if you think I don't like her you haven't heard Mrs Stationmaster (who could say a lot more).

• RMweb Premium

'Clue was never the same since the passing of Willie Rushton....

We all die eventually......

But that does not necessarily mean that a particular show - particularly the long established radio ones should die with the presenter / host - particularly as, if the overriding concept is good, new viewers / listeners can be attracted to the show with a fresh face. That doesn't deny that mistakes as to revamps or new hosts do not occur.

Willie Ruston for example means nothing to me but Jack Dee (who I am far more familiar with) does a good job as far as I am concerned.

• RMweb Premium

Ed

Dara would in some ways be quite a good choice. Yes he does host 'mock the week' which is perhaps more juvenile and rowdtesque than QI, but on the flip side Dara is quite interested in science stuff (witness his enthusiasm when teaming up with professor Brian Cox) and has also done some travelogue style things too in the past so would fit in rather well in my view.

The biggest issue here is whether the BBC have made a deliberate cooperate decision that the next host 'must be a woman' because that rather narrows the field somewhat given they actually tend to struggle to meet the self imposed 'one woman on every panel show' requirement.

The thing about Qi in my opinion that sets it apart from many other shows is that you get the feel that being nasty for the sake of it or taking the piss out of the fellow panellist vindictively will not be tolerated. Successful panellists (i.e. ones that are enjoyable to watch like Bill Bailey sort of take that perverse English pride in losing rather than winning with the 'taking part' being the most important aspect. Part of that is Stephen's persona of course - but even he admits its exaggerated for Televisual effect. Provided the new host can keep that going then there is a good chance that existing views will continue to tune in. If on the other hand the change from Stephen is used to try and alter the underlying 'feel' or 'rytham' of the show

Archived