New Class 45 D108 in BR green - Bachmann 32-681

tractionman

Well, out came the plastic on Christmas Eve, and examples at a good price have been delivered by the Royal Mail today from the Isle of Man (I love the little green 'Safe To Fly' stickers!).

I have nowhere to test the locos at present, but I have opportunity to cosmetically compare to the earlier, green only* versions like D55 and D67.

Livery application on the BFYE loco (the green is still awaited from another supplier) is sharp and convincing.  It would be perfectly acceptable to run 'ex-works' in my view.  The bogies seem to be egg-shell finished or semi-matt, which is preferable to the lesser spotted gloss bogie black of other releases.

The loco has additional air tanks as it should, the prototype being dual braked in this condition.

One buffer had worked loose from the beam in transit, sparing glue during assembly no doubt.

Right, to the nub of this release: the nose end.  The nose lid join is reproduced faithfully as per the other recent body styles, after all it is one of the signature features.  As others have said, it's accentuated a little for emphasis.  Where this feature's concerned, then, 45036 is a better starting point for a full yellow end example than the previous smooth nose.

The Brunswick green nose tends to conceal any dimensional issues with the twin headcode panels, as well as the lid join.  45036's black panes are edged in yellow which perhaps, and I stress it's only my perception, makes the black portion a little on the small side - to my eye it looks more like D1023's domino than a Peak.  Interestingly, it looks like the rubber seal round the glazing of the headcode panels has been rendered in yellow.  If this is repainted black - fiddly I know - then we may be dimensionally bang-on.  A treatment that I will be investigating.

Will I now be sidelining my first issue green split-centre examples rather than repaint a couple BFYE?  No.  I don't think the gulf between nose treatments is significant enough, and a decent BFYE finish will probably be had with either.  I may use a fine mapping pen rather than a scalpel blade to recreate the lid join.

* did a shop commission a BFYE twin-centre example a few years back, I can't recall?

• 5 weeks later...

Caught me out too, had two on preorder from Rails of Sheffield, Cheaper than Hattons at £101.96, post free.

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-45-45036-br-blue-split-centre-head-code-free-uk-post-32-680-Bachmann-JJJA22411.aspx

Hattons lost my preorder when they reneged on their price promise.

Right now to Shawplan to select some nameplates.

Neil

Two local shops have it £101.95

• RMweb Gold

At the end of their lifes it was the grilles on the side body and the battery boxes.  Most of the 45s had the small grille at No2 end plated over and didnt recieve the one under the main large grilles in the middle. On the battery boxes, 45s have an x embedded in the doors, where the 46s were flat.  Most of the other differneces are internal.  Best thing to do is to look at photos of the locos you want and compare with the base model.

Other external difference between 45/1 and 46 is no ETH cable on class 46...

Phil

Archived